PDA

View Full Version : What are newsgroups?

lezwez
27-05-2007, 23:04
i have read on the virgin site about them but can't get no futher on the small description they give i still do not understand what they mean if i want news i watch tv or go buy the sun.

so whats so special about them and how do i get onto these pages please.

Incomplete
27-05-2007, 23:05
http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=1

zing_deleted
27-05-2007, 23:06
Depends on what you want. There are text groups that discuss pretty much any and every topic and there are the binary groups where people upload all types of data.Depending on what you want till deside on how you access it

joglynne
28-05-2007, 00:16
Zing, Really showing my lack of knowledge here, but why are they called newsgroups? Did they start up as they are now or have they morphed from something else. Would ask my son but he just pats me on the head grrrrrrr.:D

zing_deleted
28-05-2007, 00:19
Usenet is what the internet originally was . A massive scale passing of information

Some info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

joglynne
28-05-2007, 00:25
Cheers Zing. Now I have something to start reading up on.

enjoymarcus
28-05-2007, 01:08
The first rule about newsgroups is that you don't talk about newsgroups ;)

joglynne
28-05-2007, 01:13
Ohhhhhh secrets. Sounds very much like a man thing to me:D

enjoymarcus
28-05-2007, 01:20
If you want to really know about newsgroups, then I will blow your mind. I currently have a program called Sabnzbd that automatically downloads from usenet through the help of an automated RSS feed, this feed I get from Yahoo Pipes, and this pipes feed is a mash up of Twitter and Newzbin, with twitter I can text in a word or phrase (example Fight Club ;)), this word is then put out on my Twitter RSS feed, which uses the Yahoo Pipes mashup to search Newzbin for 'fight club' - once found, the Pipes outputs another RSS feed which is what is fed into Sabnzbd, this then downloads all files with 'fight club' in the title.

The benefit of this? When I'm out and about, if I remember something I wish to download I text twitter from my phone, and when I get home, said download is waiting for me :D God damn I'm good.

mcgeezer
28-05-2007, 01:25
If you want to really know about newsgroups, then I will blow your mind. I currently have a program called Sabnzbd that automatically downloads from usenet through the help of an automated RSS feed, this feed I get from Yahoo Pipes, and this pipes feed is a mash up of Twitter and Newzbin, with twitter I can text in a word or phrase (example Fight Club ;)), this word is then put out on my Twitter RSS feed, which uses the Yahoo Pipes mashup to search Newzbin for 'fight club' - once found, the Pipes outputs another RSS feed which is what is fed into Sabnzbd, this then downloads all files with 'fight club' in the title.

The benefit of this? When I'm out and about, if I remember something I wish to download I text twitter from my phone, and when I get home, said download is waiting for me :D God damn I'm good.

So how does it know which NZB to download? A quick search on newzbin for "fight club" brings up approx. 15 articles of various formats.

enjoymarcus
28-05-2007, 01:32
Haha, well it depends what sort of file you want, I download xvids and mp3s, so it only searches xvids, but yeah, it will download every single Fight Club xvid available, bummer, but guarantees you get the best copy (because you have them all lol)

joglynne
28-05-2007, 01:46

I surrender, I'm only half way through reading Zing's link about...that which must not be named. :D (:Yikes:You're not my son in disguise are you? )

mcgeezer
28-05-2007, 01:47

Haha, well it depends what sort of file you want, I download xvids and mp3s, so it only searches xvids, but yeah, it will download every single Fight Club xvid available, bummer, but guarantees you get the best copy (because you have them all lol)

What a fantastic waste of bandwidth that is eh, God damn - you really are good. I bet you don't pay by the gigabyte.

homealone
28-05-2007, 02:46
newsgroups - hmm

imo download quickpar & grabit - then access a decent usenet indexing service, e.g. newzbin, grab the files you want, check them with quickpar, then extract -

lezwez
28-05-2007, 08:09
thanks for the information so far.

ok i got the basic idea of this news stuff i somebody was talking about xvids as such this would be my interest as heard of this before just i did not know and still do not know where to start could anybody give a recomendation please.

im currently reading the web pages you gave me so if somthing here sounds out of place i have not finished

do all these news groups charge to download stuff? are any of them free?

which clients would i need to use this news stuff im only familiar with torrent and p2p even these im not 100 percent on im still playing with the settings as such.

Does virgin media have a newsgroup?

zing_deleted
28-05-2007, 09:25
Yes it does and it is free but has limited content in the binaries but it does have a fair bit still

Locky
28-05-2007, 09:39

ok i got the basic idea of this news stuff i somebody was talking about xvids as such this would be my interest as heard of this before just i did not know and still do not know where to start could anybody give a recomendation please.

im currently reading the web pages you gave me so if somthing here sounds out of place i have not finished

which clients would i need to use this news stuff im only familiar with torrent and p2p even these im not 100 percent on im still playing with the settings as such.

yes but they are very limited with poor retention.

the bes client is Newsleecher it will auto repair and extract rar archives

the best search site is either, binsearch.info or newzleech.com.

the best provider is either giganews.com (25$) or usenetserver.com ($15) monthly

zing_deleted
28-05-2007, 09:46
All these auto features are ok if you have a good computer or intend to leave it just processing archives . I like to run quickpar when im ready and I like to recompile also and direct to different locations when im ready

mcgeezer
28-05-2007, 10:25
A top tip is to have Xbox media centre running, it will open rar archives even if the set has not completely downloaded to your computer - so it acts as like a streaming facility.

Obviously, it does'nt like broken sets but newzbin is kind enough to tell you which sets are broken and will need a repair.

---------- Post added at 10:25 ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 ----------

Hers' some instructions that I wrote for someone else on a message forum for using usenet/newsgroups.

----

1. Cancel your Sky subscription - you don't need it anymore.

2. Get a platinum subscription to Giganews (www.giganews.com) for $25 per month (about £15). You can get other usenet access with other providers but giganews is the best with 100 days binary retention.

3. Get some premium credit at www.newzbin.com for 0.25p per week, for xxx you'll need to login at www.newzxxx.com (remember to configure your account retention as per your newsgroup access i.e. 100 days for giganews.

4. Download a copy of NewsLeecher from www.newsleecher.com, if you're flush buy a licence for it or try astalavista - or use grabit.

5. Download and install winrar free for Windows at www.rarlabs.com

6. Download and install Quickpar free from www.quickpar.org.uk

7. Configure Newsleecher (or grabit) with your username and password you got from Giganews.

8. Login to Newsbin and search for whatever you like to download, apps, movies, console/pc games, books, xxx, tv, music you name it.

9. Newsleecher will then startup and download the files to the folder you want. (You might need to associate .NZB files in Windows exporer)

10.Once files are downloaded extract the .rar files (just like winzip) if any of them are corrupt, double click the .par2 files to repair any corrupt files.

11.If you have an old Xbox, install XBMC (Xbox media centre) on it and connect it to the router/switch/hub your computer is on - you'll be able to watch content downloaded to your computer from a share on your computer - along with being able to do a whole host of other things with it.

enjoymarcus
28-05-2007, 13:09
What a fantastic waste of bandwidth that is eh, God damn - you really are good. I bet you don't pay by the gigabyte.

Well, with a 10mb connection, it takes roughly 10 minutes to download your average xvid, so even if 6 or 7 (unlikely) are downloaded, it will only take an hour. However, if bandwidth is a concern then there is an option in Yahoo pipes to filter results so that you only get those that are unique, i.e. 1 result, therefore 1 download - problem with this is that the copy you get might not be very good, but this won't happen with films that have been around a while, but if it was a new film you might get a crappy version compared to every copy and being able to pick which is best.

If you really want to know more, add me to msn; enjoymarcus [at] hotmail.com

---------- Post added at 13:04 ---------- Previous post was at 13:01 ----------

yes but they are very limited with poor retention.

the bes client is Newsleecher it will auto repair and extract rar archives

the best search site is either, binsearch.info or newzleech.com.

the best provider is either giganews.com (25$) or usenetserver.com ($15) monthly

Actually locky son, Newsleecher is far from the "best" client. Binsearch.info and newzleech.com are not even close to newzbin.com, thats like comparig Accrington stanley to Man utd.

Giganews is quite expensive, but usenetserver is quite good, although I hear that sometimes they have a big drop in speed, but retention is 100+ days on both, which is pretty awesome.

---------- Post added at 13:07 ---------- Previous post was at 13:04 ----------

A top tip is to have Xbox media centre running, it will open rar archives even if the set has not completely downloaded to your computer - so it acts as like a streaming facility.

Obviously, it does'nt like broken sets but newzbin is kind enough to tell you which sets are broken and will need a repair.

---------- Post added at 10:25 ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 ----------

Hers' some instructions that I wrote for someone else on a message forum for using usenet/newsgroups.

----

1. Cancel your Sky subscription - you don't need it anymore.

2. Get a platinum subscription to Giganews (www.giganews.com (http://www.giganews.com)) for $25 per month (about £15). You can get other usenet access with other providers but giganews is the best with 100 days binary retention.

3. Get some premium credit at www.newzbin.com (http://www.newzbin.com) for 0.25p per week, for xxx you'll need to login at www.newzxxx.com (http://www.newzxxx.com) (remember to configure your account retention as per your newsgroup access i.e. 100 days for giganews.

4. Download a copy of NewsLeecher from www.newsleecher.com (http://www.newsleecher.com), if you're flush buy a licence for it or try astalavista - or use grabit.

5. Download and install winrar free for Windows at www.rarlabs.com (http://www.rarlabs.com)

6. Download and install Quickpar free from www.quickpar.org.uk (http://www.quickpar.org.uk)

7. Configure Newsleecher (or grabit) with your username and password you got from Giganews.

8. Login to Newsbin and search for whatever you like to download, apps, movies, console/pc games, books, xxx, tv, music you name it.

9. Newsleecher will then startup and download the files to the folder you want. (You might need to associate .NZB files in Windows exporer)

10.Once files are downloaded extract the .rar files (just like winzip) if any of them are corrupt, double click the .par2 files to repair any corrupt files.

11.If you have an old Xbox, install XBMC (Xbox media centre) on it and connect it to the router/switch/hub your computer is on - you'll be able to watch content downloaded to your computer from a share on your computer - along with being able to do a whole host of other things with it.

Why use xbox to stream? www.nzbplayer.com (http://www.nzbplayer.com) .

And why have all these apps and processes running? You only need 1 app which runs in your browser, checks pars and rars on the fly, and is unbeatable, its called sabnzbd, and literally everyone who knows there stuff uses this fantastic app, its the best around.

---------- Post added at 13:09 ---------- Previous post was at 13:07 ----------

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sabnzbd/

Locky
28-05-2007, 13:41
Well, with a 10mb connection, it takes roughly 10 minutes to download your average xvid, so even if 6 or 7 (unlikely) are downloaded, it will only take an hour. However, if bandwidth is a concern then there is an option in Yahoo pipes to filter results so that you only get those that are unique, i.e. 1 result, therefore 1 download - problem with this is that the copy you get might not be very good, but this won't happen with films that have been around a while, but if it was a new film you might get a crappy version compared to every copy and being able to pick which is best.

If you really want to know more, add me to msn; enjoymarcus [at] hotmail.com

that is your OPINION, as was it mine.
---------- Post added at 13:04 ---------- Previous post was at 13:01 ----------

Actually locky son, Newsleecher is far from the "best" client. Binsearch.info and newzleech.com are not even close to newzbin.com, thats like comparig Accrington stanley to Man utd.

Giganews is quite expensive, but usenetserver is quite good, although I hear that sometimes they have a big drop in speed, but retention is 100+ days on both, which is pretty awesome.

---------- Post added at 13:07 ---------- Previous post was at 13:04 ----------

And why have all these apps and processes running? You only need 1 app which runs in your browser, checks pars and rars on the fly, and is unbeatable, its called sabnzbd, and literally everyone who knows there stuff uses this fantastic app, its the best around.

mcgeezer
28-05-2007, 13:54

Because NZBplayer intergrates with VLC player and is a PC application - I like to watch movies on my nice tv downstairs, best experienced with drinking nice cool cans of beer in the process.

All what apps and processes? Newsleecher is the only app I use, it will happily repair rar sets for you on the fly.

"Everyone who knows their stuff uses this fantastic app?", I've probably forgotten more about IT than you'll ever know sunshine, and I know alot of people who know their stuff and none of them use it, you're probably a mate of the author or something.

Ahhh, I don't know, youth of today, they think they know it all - jack of all trades and master of none. :(

Rik
28-05-2007, 14:23
I vill say this only vonce!!

NEWSGROUPS.

GIGANEWS

NEWSLEECHER

SUPERSEARCH

;)

PS Welcome to the darkside ;)

There's some great Linux downloads on Newsgroup's :)

glyn
28-05-2007, 20:43

hey mcgeezer ... you forgot number 12 ... make sure you have unlimited downloads coz you'll get hooked on downloading at max speed ... and I mean hooked ....

lezwez
28-05-2007, 23:43
Thanks everyone for the information i think thats all i need

very helpfull

Dai
29-05-2007, 10:24
Zing, Really showing my lack of knowledge here, but why are they called newsgroups? Did they start up as they are now or have they morphed from something else. Would ask my son but he just pats me on the head grrrrrrr.:D

Probably doesn't want you on there messing with his mp3 and DVD downloading.
It's what us dinosaurs used to use before they invented the Toys'r'us HTML internet thingy..

joglynne
29-05-2007, 14:30
Probably doesn't want you on there messing with his mp3 and DVD downloading.
It's what us dinosaurs used to use before they invented the Toys'r'us HTML internet thingy..

No chance of me doing that as he hasn't lived at home since he left for University 7 years ago.:D He's a major Profession IT Geek. I helped him take his first amstrad apart when he was 9 and to build his first computer from scratch when he was 10. Since then he has left me behind big time and the rotter knows it. :D

enjoymarcus
04-06-2007, 00:30
All what apps and processes? Newsleecher is the only app I use, it will happily repair rar sets for you on the fly.

"Everyone who knows their stuff uses this fantastic app?", I've probably forgotten more about IT than you'll ever know sunshine, and I know alot of people who know their stuff and none of them use it, you're probably a mate of the author or something.

Ahhh, I don't know, youth of today, they think they know it all - jack of all trades and master of none. :(

If you know so much, then you would know that software development runs at a lightning rate, sab is at version 0.2.5 - I doubt all these people you know have even heard of this app yet. Tell me, can you access Newsleecher from any browser? I simply use a DNS forwarding service, and I can log into sab and see my downloads, add some, change settings, pause, delete, everything, can Newsleecher do that? Yeah, thought not.

grubbymitts
04-06-2007, 08:02
If you know so much, then you would know that software development runs at a lightning rate, sab is at version 0.2.5 - I doubt all these people you know have even heard of this app yet. Tell me, can you access Newsleecher from any browser? I simply use a DNS forwarding service, and I can log into sab and see my downloads, add some, change settings, pause, delete, everything, can Newsleecher do that? Yeah, thought not.

Oooh, get you! I'll just fetch my handbag!

RXP
04-06-2007, 08:22
best indexing site ever: v3.newzbin.com

zing_deleted
04-06-2007, 09:36
I use newsbin pro. I dont want to access my downloads when im not at home they can wait till I get home so I dont want any fancy apps on my pc to allow me to.Ive forgotten more than all of you. What were we on about again? ;)

Rik
04-06-2007, 11:28
.Ive forgotten more than all of you. What were we on about again? ;)

Look Zing.

I iz the cleverest on these forumz! :D

Heres a tip for you guys trying to work out who the cleverest person is on this thread.

The person that says they are the cleverest and puts everyone else down, and their opinions and then starts trying to dazzle people with words and features that 99% of us dont need is indeed not very clever at all.

Newsleecher is indeed a very good Client.
Supersearch feature is an absolute godsend.
Repair and Extract also fabulous (PS It can be turned off if you want to do manually ;))
Giganews is indeed the most expensive, but you get what you pay for, 120 days retention and blisteringly fast download speeds, maxes out my 20MB :)

We all have our own niches and we are all intelligent here, no need to put each other down.

Remember tho I iz da cleverest! ;)

zing_deleted
04-06-2007, 11:32
yeah and your rep proves that ;)

This auto repair and extract is all very good if you want everything to go to the same place auto means lack of options . I like to see how many blocks are missing and only download as many as I need. Newsbin moves all bar one par file to scratch instead of downloading all of them and wasting bandwidth. Quickpar does a very nice job thank you very much and winrar allows me to put each file exactly where I want it. Also compiling an archive to the same drive the rars are on slows the process down dramatically

Rik
04-06-2007, 11:37
yeah and your rep proves that ;)

This auto repair and extract is all very good if you want everything to go to the same place auto means lack of options . I like to see how many blocks are missing and only download as many as I need. Newsbin moves all bar one par file to scratch instead of downloading all of them and wasting bandwidth. Quickpar does a very nice job thank you very much and winrar allows me to put each file exactly where I want it. Also compiling an archive to the same drive the rars are on slows the process down dramatically

Ahh ya got me on the rep :D lol

Im just lazy thats why i use the auto repair feature, I have it configured to only download the par2 files it needs to repair the archive (as you say to save bandwidth), also Zing you can specify the location of the repaired/unpacked archives as well, and have the old files deleted or just stored in the recycle bin, its rather good.

zing_deleted
04-06-2007, 11:37
for each archive or a global destination? newsbin has all these options but as I say I prefer to set it up myself.

Rik
04-06-2007, 11:41
for each archive or a global destination? newsbin has all these options but as I say I prefer to set it up myself.

No not for each archive unfortunately, I just shove em on the leeching drive and then do what you do with the sorting out.

I bet you use Linux as well Zing ;)

Anyway enough OT talk before i get banned :D

zing_deleted
04-06-2007, 11:42
I dont use linux I aint got the time for terminal ;)

You see the global destination thing ruins it for me as I have seperate hard drives depending on what the media is

Rik
04-06-2007, 11:49
You see the global destination thing ruins it for me as I have seperate hard drives depending on what the media is

Yes is a bit of a pain as I also have a lot of drives/partitions in this pc, and it would be nice to have say all my movies automatically repaired and unpacked and then stored on my Movies partition.

I may have to put this idea forward on the Newsleecher forums, as the coder is always adding extra features.

---------- Post added at 11:49 ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 ----------

That programs sounds good, but this seems a major minus point, especially with shaping introduced.

Give me good old supersearch anyday and manually decide what I want to download, not 500gigs of one film ;) and then finding out one is a cam, one is in Chinese etc etc etc.

Stuart
04-06-2007, 12:26

Well, while I am happy with Newsbin pro, I'll give this a try.

The nice thing is that it looks like I can bung it on my Mac Mini and just leave it running over night (saves power, as my main PC is rather, *ahem* power hungry).

Richy99
04-06-2007, 13:33
ive used both newsleecher and newbin pro (i normally do some beta testing with newsbin) and newsleecher looks nicer but newsbin i think is alot better

enjoymarcus
05-06-2007, 01:55
That programs sound good, but this seems a major minus point, especially with shaping introduced.

Give me good old supersearch anyday and manually decide what I want to download, not 500gigs of one film ;) and then finding out one is a cam, one is in Chinese etc etc etc.

Rik, you can configure it however you like, I don't always have sab running simply because I don't have the time, nor the HD space to download so much. But it is very handy for automated downloads, i.e tv shows. But it is a fantastic app, and I have tried many but this is the best, and the only reason I tried it in the first place was the popularity and buzz about it on the "scene" ;)

And everyone should try nzbplayer (www.nzbplayer.com) - It literally streams films/tv shows from usenet. You load the nzb file in, give it a couple of minutes (depending on your BB speed) and it starts playing.

---------- Post added at 01:55 ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 ----------

Well, while I am happy with Newsbin pro, I'll give this a try.

The nice thing is that it looks like I can bung it on my Mac Mini and just leave it running over night (saves power, as my main PC is rather, *ahem* power hungry).

Someone released a stand alone version of Sab for the mac (If you haven't got the time to configure sab for the mac properly)- http://www.br41n.com/

P.S - mcgeezer, no need to give me negative rep just because you don't agree with what I have to stay.

mcgeezer
05-06-2007, 17:31
P.S - mcgeezer, no need to give me negative rep just because you don't agree with what I have to stay.

I neither agreed or disagreed with what you had to say.

The negative rep was given because I don't take kindly to people having an opinion on my intelligence - especially people on forums who are very cock sure of themselves and know very little about me.

ShaneC
05-06-2007, 18:13
My news setup

www.newzbin.com - cheap indexing - especially if you share ;)
www.altbinz.com - great nzb downloader when linked with above, it's free and does all the unrar/par stuff
www.newshosting.com - $15 a month for 90+ days good retention, you can also - ahem - share this one ;)

enjoymarcus
06-06-2007, 02:17

I neither agreed or disagreed with what you had to say.

The negative rep was given because I don't take kindly to people having an opinion on my intelligence - especially people on forums who are very cock sure of themselves and know very little about me.

Even though you were very rude to me before, I laughed it off and carried on discussing the subject at hand, and then you said the top quote, too which I responded with the 2nd quote showing that I do know what I am talking about. I never questioned your intelligence, but you seemed to use the fact that I am young as a negative thing. So really dude, you need to chill out.

Stuart
06-06-2007, 08:58
Guys, can we calm down please? You each have your own opinions as to which newsreader to use. That's fine, but there is no need to fight.

zing_deleted
06-06-2007, 09:15
strange how pirates argue about the size of their ships ;)

I do think some people over complicate things. Most releases are clearly reviewed if you look in the right place.So i certainly see no reason to down load multiple copies of the same release to get the best one. Ok sometimes I download a propered copy but that only be if there is significant differences.

hokkers999
06-06-2007, 10:19

I agree, he's the perfect customer to give Virgin the excuse to bring in traffic shaping. Idiot.

Rik
06-06-2007, 16:08
And everyone should try nzbplayer (www.nzbplayer.com (http://www.nzbplayer.com)) - It literally streams films/tv shows from usenet. You load the nzb file in, give it a couple of minutes (depending on your BB speed) and it starts playing

Have to say thanks for the Link to that enjoymarcus, its very good :)

Very handy if your in a rush or just want to preview the file.

NTLVictim
06-06-2007, 16:45
Have to say thanks for the Link to that enjoymarcus, its very good :)

Very handy if your in a rush or just want to preview the file.

I must get into this newsgroup malarkey...I take it NZBplayer can save you downloading a lot of kak and attracting the shaping police?

zer0
06-06-2007, 19:57
My news setup

www.newzbin.com (http://www.newzbin.com) - cheap indexing - especially if you share ;)
www.altbinz.com (http://www.altbinz.com) - great nzb downloader when linked with above, it's free and does all the unrar/par stuff
www.newshosting.com (http://www.newshosting.com) - $15 a month for 90+ days good retention, you can also - ahem - share this one ;)
free indexing http://www.binsearch.info/
free newsreader/downloader http://www.shemes.com/ - i havnt found a better one among the paid clients
free account (2 weeks) http://hitnews.eu/
;)

domo247
06-06-2007, 20:34
http://www.news.astraweb.com/

What do you all think about this news server. I never have any problems with it and its very quick I always max out.

Has European based servers and also unique servers just for Pay-by-the-gigabyte customers.

TraxData
06-06-2007, 21:18
http://www.news.astraweb.com/

What do you all think about this news server. I never have any problems with it and its very quick I always max out.

Has European based servers and also unique servers just for Pay-by-the-gigabyte customers.

absolutely crap, wouldnt believe the amount of users ive had complaining at me in groups about incomplete rars and not enough pars (i prove 10-12% which is mroe than enough) and wanting me to re-do it just for them.

then i find out their with asta :P

mcfc2134
07-06-2007, 10:18
Has anyone here got any feedback/views/opinions on newsfeeds.com?

bioboy
07-06-2007, 10:47
Get on Newshosting. Unlimited downloads for $14.95 (less than £8). never had a problem in a year or so with them.

Bill

Rik
07-06-2007, 10:59
Has anyone here got any feedback/views/opinions on newsfeeds.com?

I used them and the speeds were awful (im going back about a year tho), tbh if youve tried Giganews on the free trial and dont get full speed (use 10 connections and you should get full speed), you arent going to get full speed anywhere to be honest.

Giganews have the best retention in the business as well 120 days.