PDA

View Full Version : MSN Kills my router every 20 minutes or so ..

leedrummond
27-05-2007, 16:16
if i am on msn messenger, after about 20 minutes i loose my internet connection through my router,

i then have to godownstairs and power off/ on the router, the connection then comes back on

i have jsut spoken to linksys tech support, and they have told me to change the MTU from 1500 to 1400, but isnt 1400 too low ?

i have the latest firmware on my router

any suggestions on the cause ?

englishpaul
27-05-2007, 17:22
if i am on msn messenger, after about 20 minutes i loose my internet connection through my router,

i then have to godownstairs and power off/ on the router, the connection then comes back on

i have jsut spoken to linksys tech support, and they have told me to change the MTU from 1500 to 1400, but isnt 1400 too low ?

i have the latest firmware on my router

any suggestions on the cause ?

Leave the MTU at 1500, 1400 is just wrong.

Power down PC, router and CM, leave for at least 30 seconds then power up CM, wait for Ready light to go steady, power up router, again wait for it to go steady then power up PC.

This may or may not solve your problem.

More help may be available if you can provide details of PC, router and CM [makes, models] also downstream/upstream levels from CM.

leedrummond
03-06-2007, 08:55
looks like i have solved the problem

re downloaded the firmware for the router, and it seems to have settled itself down now. everything is working great

cheers

Lee

EssDee
03-06-2007, 10:00
My WRT54G was suffering similar dropouts until I flashed DD-WRT on a few months ago. Solid ever since.

mcgeezer
03-06-2007, 10:31
My WRT54G was suffering similar dropouts until I flashed DD-WRT on a few months ago. Solid ever since.

Yeah, Unfortunetely you can only do that with versions 4 and below as version 5 and above was made with cheaper components and has less memory. This is also the reason why they brought out the WRT54GL which is version 5 that can be re-flashed.

Don't try and flash a WRT54G version 5 with DD-WRT - you will end up with a bricked router that will be quite difficult to fix (although possible).

EssDee
04-06-2007, 21:00
Yeah, Unfortunetely you can only do that with versions 4 and below as version 5 and above was made with cheaper components and has less memory. This is also the reason why they brought out the WRT54GL which is version 5 that can be re-flashed.

Don't try and flash a WRT54G version 5 with DD-WRT - you will end up with a bricked router that will be quite difficult to fix (although possible).

It's a V5 I've got and I've not had any problems. There is a version of DD-WRT specifically for the low-spec WRT54G's (it's called DD-WRT Micro).

Link here

http://www.scorpiontek.org/portal/content/view/27/36/

mcgeezer
04-06-2007, 21:31
It's a V5 I've got and I've not had any problems. There is a version of DD-WRT specifically for the low-spec WRT54G's (it's called DD-WRT Micro).

Link here

http://www.scorpiontek.org/portal/content/view/27/36/

Wow, thanks a bunch for that - I stand corrected.

I'll upgrade mine soon as I hate the linksys fw.

EssDee
04-06-2007, 22:06
No problem.

Ben B
04-06-2007, 22:10
hi, i have a Belkin F5D7230-4 router and was wondering if there was any 3rd party firmware for this as I have been having similar problems with my router and it is geetiing to be a real annoyance.#

Thanks,
Ben