PDA

View Full Version : Cant access virgin media newsgroup

blade85
27-05-2007, 11:49
I cant get on it.

every time i try it says access denied! Is it cause i was originally on a telewest connection??

by the way, im using grabit.

Virgin Media
27-05-2007, 12:05
If you were a Telewest customer then its news.blueyonder.com, I think. No username or password.

news.virginmedia.com is what it should be for all ex-NTL/Telewest customers but they simply haven't bothered sorting it out.

...And ot top it off... their UseNet access is suffering from damaged files and incompletion. :disturbd:

Euromancer
27-05-2007, 14:51
news.blueyonder.com works well although the retention stiniks

blade85
27-05-2007, 17:09
is that with port 119?? cause now the message says "Unable to connect"

I have used a pay service before so i know the program works fine.

Ben B
27-05-2007, 18:52
is that with port 119?? cause now the message says "Unable to connect"

I have used a pay service before so i know the program works fine.

even though you are ex telewest try news.cable.ntlworld.com or news.ntlworld.com

blade85
27-05-2007, 20:15
those were the first ones i tried...none of them work :confused::confused:

maybe i should try it with another news reader..

homealone
27-05-2007, 20:47
the news.cable.ntlworld.com server doesn't need you to log in - have you set up grabit with blank fields for username & pass?

- have you tried it with outlook express?

Ben B
27-05-2007, 22:18
those were the first ones i tried...none of them work :confused::confused:

maybe i should try it with another news reader..

yes, i use them with outlook express and they work fine

bioboy
29-05-2007, 09:50
The news.ntlworld.com and news.cable.ntlworld.com news servers have always required a password in the 5 or 6 years I've been using them. I've always used Grabit and put my ntl username and password into the username and password boxes in the server properties tab.

To be fair I stopped using ntl's newsgroups a year ago since they removed loads of the best groups. I now use Newshosting and get unlimited downloads from all the newsgroups for less than £8 per month. Retention is around 45 days compared to an average of 7 days with VM, they carry all the big binary groups and you can get around 70 days retention if you use NZB files to download. Their completion is far superior too.

Bill

zing_deleted
29-05-2007, 09:52
They have never needed a password in same amount of time ive used them

bioboy
29-05-2007, 10:50
Fair enough, but I once installed Grabit on another PC and forgot to put in a username and password in Grabit and I got the same message as the original poster. Are you using Grabit too?

Bill

bilal
29-05-2007, 11:57
Well I know someone with blueyonder and as far as I remember you need to put blueyonder address in and your username and password and then it will work :)

zing_deleted
29-05-2007, 12:10
Just tested it again on newsbin pro and you still do not need a username ill just try it on grabit although I already knwo the results are you do not need a passowrd for the ntl newsserver brb

---------- Post added at 12:10 ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 ----------

yep as I knew you dont need a user name or password

as far as telewest is concerned I do not know

bioboy
29-05-2007, 14:58
Interesting. So what's to stop anybody who isn't with VM using the news servers?

blade85
29-05-2007, 15:03
I'll try it with my username and pass when i get back home

might check out newshost aswell.

blade85
29-05-2007, 20:21
eh still access denied... i give up :monkey:

anduin
29-05-2007, 20:47
news.cable.ntlworld.com

no username
no password

Works for me ( in newsleecher )

grubbymitts
29-05-2007, 22:15
Interesting. So what's to stop anybody who isn't with VM using the news servers?

Because it's only available on the VM network. Users of other ISPs wouldn't be able to log onto it.

What about the old news server addresses for Tesco.com and Virgin.net that used to run on the NTL servers? I think they were news.tesco.com and news.virgin.net, but I can't recall exactly. They were both available from an NTL connection and needed no password.

Richy99
30-05-2007, 21:02

they authenticate via IP range, so if you are not on the VM network you get error 502 permission denied

---------- Post added at 21:00 ---------- Previous post was at 20:54 ----------

I cant get on it.

every time i try it says access denied! Is it cause i was originally on a telewest connection??

by the way, im using grabit.

if you are ex telewest you have tyo use news.blueyonder.co.uk anything else, such as news.cable.ntlworld.com will fail with a 502 permission denied on the network error the same as an ex ntl user trying to use news.blueyonder.co.uk

---------- Post added at 21:02 ---------- Previous post was at 21:00 ----------

What about the old news server addresses for Tesco.com and Virgin.net that used to run on the NTL servers? I think they were news.tesco.com and news.virgin.net, but I can't recall exactly. They were both available from an NTL connection and needed no password.

basically any virtual isp that uses the VM backbone is able to be used, as you said virgin, tesco and also which online were able to be used, but some carried different groups to the others

homealone
30-05-2007, 21:41
basically any virtual isp that uses the VM backbone is able to be used, as you said virgin, tesco and also which online were able to be used, but some carried different groups to the others

less, rather than more, IIRC ;)

blade85
30-05-2007, 23:15
if you are ex telewest you have tyo use news.blueyonder.co.uk anything else, such as news.cable.ntlworld.com will fail with a 502 permission denied on the network error the same as an ex ntl user trying to use news.blueyonder.co.uk

haaah, cant believe i didnt try that...

it worked :D:D:D

thanx

Rik
30-05-2007, 23:45

Access is controlled via IP address.
NTL used to allow all their IP ranges to access the server only.

EDIT As Richy said above ;)

Kris_Stuart69
15-04-2008, 19:15
Hi does anyone know what the current Virgin media (ex Telepest) servers currently are as the news.blueyonder.co.uk has stopped working?

ceedee
15-04-2008, 20:57
The old blueyonder news server was turned off last week.
The new news server is at news.virginmedia.com.

Expect the details on VM's website to be updated, erm, sometime...

Kris_Stuart69
15-04-2008, 22:04
Thanks. Was trying this with my VM U/P and it was failing. Removed them now and all is well.

dizzy2uk
26-03-2009, 10:49
hey sorry to post this here but need to know if i can still use virgin news servers, through there phone line broadband? as i cant get cable where i am now,, some one please help!

moaningmags
26-03-2009, 11:49
You should be able to, but not for support as they aren't trained on thr adsl side of things.

dizzy2uk
26-03-2009, 12:03
ok thx alot dont want suport tbh just aslong as ican use my grabit an so on, and do u think it would still be news. virginmedia.com

moaningmags
26-03-2009, 12:05
Yes, should still be the same.