PDA

View Full Version : Slower speeds using a router...

ECW_Original
27-05-2007, 08:02
Hi I have bought a brand new Linksys Wireless router with Speed Booster, amd a bramd mew Linksys PCI card with Speed Booster, now when I try to download anything, even from Virgin, my speed is much slower, even just connecting ethernet to one of the wired ports, it is the same speed as the wireless, is there any settings I could tweak to be getting my full speeds via router? they are both 54Mbps if this helps, I have set up security on the network, but when I select MAC Cloning, I can no longer access anything, I have to reset router and then load saved settings from HDD, but I feel I dont know enough to mess with any other settings on the router page.

All help will be gratefully recieved!

Thanks in advance!:angel:

Paul K
27-05-2007, 08:04
Did you power off everything including the modem when attaching the router? What is the actual model of the router and PCI card in use?

ECW_Original
27-05-2007, 08:14
Thanks Paul, yes I did power everything off n then on again, first cable modem, then when lights stabalised, router on, then when them lights stabalised, pc was switched on.

Linksys Wireless G router: WRT54GS-UK
Linksys Wireless G PCI Card: WMP54GS-UK

(both with speedbooster technology)

Thanks again fella :)

anduin
27-05-2007, 13:48
Out of curiosity, there should be an MTU setting somewhere ( on the router ), whats it set to ?

ee61re
27-05-2007, 17:12
Could be a speed / duplex problem on the WAN port on the router?

ECW_Original
27-05-2007, 20:07
Out of curiosity, there should be an MTU setting somewhere ( on the router ), whats it set to ?

It is now set to 1500, i did a bit of snooping around various forums and found the settings I needed, even though my net is still quite pooh at present, im uploading at a whopping 110KB/s via wireless, and it dont just peak at that, it says there for a few seconds, goes down a few and then back up again, but so far, max download speed is around 4mbps (basically my current speed bypassing the router)

So I think I have sorted it now *fingers crossed*

also, which is the best security for my network? @ the mo Im using 64bit WEP 10hex, i know if someone is determined to hack into me, they will, but i want as strong security as possible without affecting speed of router and all that will connect to it...

anduin
27-05-2007, 21:59
WPA-PSK is more secure, WPA2-PSK better still, and if i remember rightly the AES encryption is fastest ( altho i have a nasty habit of forgetting and getting confused)