PDA

View Full Version : Are wrestlers blood screened

zing_deleted
27-05-2007, 00:11
or should they be if they are not. This goes for any close contact sport as there must be a risk of transmitting an infection such as Hepatitis or HIV

Question for Russ he kinda asked for the thread to be made ;)

and I aint doing it to be a git either Russ im genuinely interested

Hugh
27-05-2007, 00:12
That didn't take long..........

Russ
27-05-2007, 00:17
Well I didn't actually ask for it :D

I don't know about all pro wrestling promotions, only the 4 I've worked for and all have very stringent health policies, for example the one I worked for most recently insists on seeing a full medical history before being allowed to training and requests regular blood test results if they are going to be involved in a match where the chances of bloodshed are likely. Contrary to what some people may think, blood loss is very very rare in pro wrestling - in the 18 months I've been involved I've never bled in a match.

I don't know about any other promotions or contact sports.

zing_deleted
27-05-2007, 00:23
Would be easy though wouldnt it? perhaps get bit by accident even pros get a move wrong sometimes :) I am pleased to see they do ask to see bloods though :tu:

Russ
27-05-2007, 00:24
Moves can go wrong of course but the very nature of the business means that even in these cases, it's hard to actually cause blood to be shed. Actually bruises are the tell-tale sign of botched moves. If you see me moaning about getting bruises and bumps due to wrestling, it usually means me or the other guy botched something.

zing_deleted
27-05-2007, 00:27
what about split lips or bleeding from he mouth nose bleeds? I regularly bled as a kickboxer. You guys chuck yourselves about something cronic and you never split a lip or had a nose bleed

Russ
27-05-2007, 00:35
what about split lips or bleeding from he mouth nose bleeds? I regularly bled as a kickboxer. You guys chuck yourselves about something cronic and you never split a lip or had a nose bleed

It's difficult to explain this without breaking kayfabe, but when you kick/punch, are you doing your best to hit the specific target? :)

zing_deleted
27-05-2007, 00:37
yes

Russ
27-05-2007, 00:40
Bingo ;)

zing_deleted
27-05-2007, 00:42
yeah but I missed quite often lol although do you leave areas open to these attacks? In kickboxing your trying to find an opening while keeping a tight guard. Do you guys leave targets that are safe open to the opponant?

Russ
27-05-2007, 00:46
Due to the nature of the business I can't really go in to too much depth (most people can work it out for themselves I think....) however what I will say is in all the matches you see on tv (whether WWE, TNA or anything on TWC), you'll be hard-pushed to find any bleeding. It's a sign of a sloppy and inexperienced worker - something that any decent promoter will prevent from happening.

pop80_uk
27-05-2007, 00:48
whats your wrestling name?
have you got a website?

Russ
27-05-2007, 00:51
Depends who I'm working for. I go by Rex Everything amongst others but recently I've been the character of a dubious 'Spiritual Leader' by the name of Guidance. I don't have a website because of the different characters but you can get an idea on www.celticwrestling.com

pop80_uk
27-05-2007, 01:02
Depends who I'm working for. I go by Rex Everything amongst others but recently I've been the character of a dubious 'Spiritual Leader' by the name of Guidance. I don't have a website because of the different characters but you can get an idea on www.celticwrestling.com (http://www.celticwrestling.com)

Cool!
Just been reading your profile! Good stuff.
So question.....When on WWE they are shown bleeding, is that real blood? How do they not bleed to death during some of the matches?
Also why drawing pins?:confused:

Russ
27-05-2007, 01:04
We're a world away from WWE, they have budgets of millions, we make do with what we've got so they might have different ways but generally it's taken as read that when wrestlers bleed, it's real blood. I've never heard of any circumstances where fake blood was used.

Drawing pins....because they're vicious little buggers and they hurt :D

Pia
27-05-2007, 01:06
Russ practicing the grim reaper/monk look:D

http://www.celticwrestling.co.uk/profiles/prof_guidancea.jpg

Russ
27-05-2007, 01:20
I didn't choose the gimmick... :disturbd:

pop80_uk
27-05-2007, 12:00
So they actually bleed that much in the WWE matches! Good grief! They must need a transfusion after the matches, I watched Wrestling Mania 23 (I think!) with my 11 year old cousin the other day it was brutal!

Russ
27-05-2007, 12:05
Of course, if the blood gets mixed in with sweat it can look a lot worse.....

zing_deleted
27-05-2007, 12:09
If I kept slicing my own head with a razor blade someone would section me ;) fair play to you raging nut jobs throwing yourselves into your sports though :)

Russ
27-05-2007, 12:20
It's been said that to be a pro wrestler you need to have a few screws loose. Judging by some of the locker-room guys I'd agree with that :disturbd: