PDA

View Full Version : NTL web space

simon8298
26-05-2007, 12:34
we on NTL / Virgin are supposed to have 55MB of web space, which i use for uploading choons for my my space and a few other bits and bobs....
but having just been in to my ftp server to upload a picture for something, it said i was out of space :mad: but after deleting several songs, it is now working!

i know that virgin are now been cheap barstewards by applying silly caps on our usage (for which i intend to leave) but have they gone one step more and reduced our web space?? any one else notice the same?

JediMaster
26-05-2007, 12:37
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/service.do?id=2 says 55MB. I know mine is 55MB still. Not sure why yours is lower. Did you Download it all to PC to see the size? or Delete it all & upload a 50MB file as a Test?

simon8298
26-05-2007, 13:53
i just randomly deleted a few choons on the off chance it would be ok.... and it was... but what i can not understand, is how i have previously uploaded x amount (i have not checked exacly how much) with no prob and now i can not up load the same amount... i might have to try deleting everything which would be a pain in the aris and like you say upload a 55 meg test file
*that is if i aint been capped allready cos i been downloading stuff today* in which case i will be limited to 256 upload (why would they wat to cap our up load speeds that is just silly...
if i was on the 2 meg capped at 128 i would barely be able to play counter strike!!!!!!

---------- Post added at 13:53 ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 ----------

it is as i thought i am not getting my whole 55mb :(
8 mb out of 55mb is missing, is that just me been pedantic or worth a good old complain to customer services?

Paul K
26-05-2007, 14:42
It may be that one of the files uploaded has become damaged and is taking up space that you cannot see. Only way to find out is to clear the webspace out and start again or call up support and ask them to check your space.
Good luck with leaving VM due to their "silly" cap that allows others to enjoy their browsing speeds at peak times. Personally I think they have done the right thing and I expect more providers to follow suit somewhere down the line.

simon8298
26-05-2007, 17:53
Good luck with leaving VM due to their "silly" cap that allows others to enjoy their browsing speeds at peak times. Personally I think they have done the right thing and I expect more providers to follow suit somewhere down the line.

well like you say for people to enjoy fast browsing is a good thing but.... since the 20mb upgrade i been left on rubbish 4mb, now i am not realy a heavy user but if i want to download a film during the 4-12 times i can't
i am all for peeps having a great experience on the net.... BUT.. i am having a hellish time at the mo... I can not even play counter strike since the upgrades because my pings has gone through the roof
been in to netstat and pinged virginmedia.com and a bbc.co.uk and google and the ping is going from an average of 35 - 95 :(
i allso would just like to add... if virgin was good company they would make sure there whole network was able to handle the 20mb upgrades without caps and if not they should have done the necisery work at there end and not made others suffer... afterall we are paying the over inflated prices anyway!!
WE DESERVE BETTER!

thanx for the hint paul ;) hope it works or i gonna be on the phone to customer support again!

Paul K
26-05-2007, 21:09
VM are still working on areas of the network but to be honest you will never get a time when any ISP has a "perfect" network. As to pricing you can get cheaper by going down the ADSL route but this often throws more problems into the mix, speeds are impacted by so many things that getting a stable speed in some areas is like catching rain in a sieve :(

JediMaster
27-05-2007, 09:50
it is as i thought i am not getting my whole 55mb :(
8 mb out of 55mb is missing, is that just me been pedantic or worth a good old complain to customer services?

May you have a DOT File ie filename like .exe or .zip (not filename) your FTP may not show Dot Files without selecting "Show Dot Files" in Options or View Tab