PDA

View Full Version : No 10mb or 20mb in Leicester

GrayUK
24-05-2007, 19:45
Hi

Called VM earlier to sign up onto 20mb broadband, they asked for my postcode (LE3) and was told due to the cables in the LE3 area being installed by Leicester Diamond cable years ago the cable couldn't handle broadband so i couldn't sign up.

I find this strange as i have lived in various LE3 houses over the years and they were all installed around each street by Leicester diamond cable, my Friend lives in LE3 and has a stable 10mb line.

When i try to sign up on line and put my postcode and house number in i can select 20mb fine and could enter my direct debit details.

Anyone else had this problem? Just like to know before i try and sign up online.

Cheers

Gray

keef285
24-05-2007, 19:59
They are telling you a load of tosh........I live in LE67 and the cables in our street were installed by Diamond cable and I get 10 Meg......but I'm not holding my breath for the 20meg connection.....

Nedkelly
24-05-2007, 20:01
Can you get Digital tv in your aera ?:)

keef285
24-05-2007, 20:03
Yup I used to have NTL tele, but I got fed up resetting the box 20 times a day.

GrayUK
24-05-2007, 20:05
They are telling you a load of tosh........I live in LE67 and the cables in our street were installed by Diamond cable and I get 10 Meg......but I'm not holding my breath for the 20meg connection.....

I knew something wasn't right, but why are they saying stuff like that? years old customer service training?

---------- Post added at 20:05 ---------- Previous post was at 20:04 ----------

Can you get Digital tv in your aera ?:)

I assume so, nearly every house round here either has an NTL box on on the front of the house.

Nedkelly
24-05-2007, 20:19
If you have BB and dtv is in the aera there is no problem .I know parts of leicester can only get analouge only the old metro cable aera i think :)

GrayUK
24-05-2007, 20:28
If you have BB and dtv is in the aera there is no problem .I know parts of leicester can only get analouge only the old metro cable aera i think :)

I'll try and sign up and see what happens.

All i know is there is hundreds of brown NTL boxes on houses, no idea if this is to do DTV or analogue, but my friend in LE3 has 10mb so i assume all the installations were identical when they dug up all the streets.

dev
24-05-2007, 20:29
could it be oversubscription and so refusing on capacity grounds? ie, the cs person saying it can't handle [anymore] broadband.

Nedkelly
24-05-2007, 20:37
Cant say there might be work needed in the headend on the ubrs but on the Status it says Leicester aera May .Not long left :)

AV8TOR
24-05-2007, 21:18
I also live in LE3 and can confirm there are large parts of it were 4mb internet & analogue tv is all that you can get. In case your thinking about it analogue means no Sky movies either, although I can get Sky Sports 1 2 & 3 but non of the other sky sports channels.

Don't hold your breath either waiting for anything to be done about it, they have been promising it "in the next couple of months" now for close on 3 years.

Nedkelly
24-05-2007, 21:21
:mad:These aeras should be upgraded first as you said they have been promising this for years

GrayUK
24-05-2007, 21:30
I also live in LE3 and can confirm there are large parts of it were 4mb internet & analogue tv is all that you can get. In case your thinking about it analogue means no Sky movies either, although I can get Sky Sports 1 2 & 3 but non of the other sky sports channels.

Don't hold your breath either waiting for anything to be done about it, they have been promising it "in the next couple of months" now for close on 3 years.

The way they came across is that because its Diamond Cable era you can't have broadband full stop, although i am not sure that the guy on the phone knew for sure.

AV8TOR
24-05-2007, 21:31
:mad:These areas should be upgraded first as you said they have been promising this for years

SHOULD be or will be. I think we all know the answer to that 1.

I believe there is also a portion of Southampton in the same condition.

Nedkelly
24-05-2007, 21:34
They were talking about it in 1999 as i can remember .Most of the new parts are ok .Havnt heard anything for some time :)

JackSon
25-05-2007, 01:25
Well my neck of the Leicester network (all the way up here in sunny DE74) has seen steady improvement this last week. 4 or 5 weeks ago things had dropped to under 1Mb and staye that way, the last 5 dayas has seen that finally claw its way back up to my 7Mb max (on my aging NTL 100 modem) so it seems the problems at this end have been ironed out - just in time for the new modem which is in the post, and in time for the upgrade. Things looking a heck of a lot rosier now, and I hope the trend continues for the rest of leicester :) Well done boys

Chrysalis
25-05-2007, 11:37
First time I hear of areas restricted to 4mbit, usually its all or nothing.

My old address which was LE3 and analogue I had 10mbit broadband, it was very congested and slow in the evenings but did work and I was able to get full speed from about 3am to 6am :)

My new address which already had cable fittings in side the house is also LE3 but this time tv/phone only no broadband available at all yet a few houses down the street and across the road broadband is available.

The situation in Leicester really is diabolical, they upgrading people to 20mbit VOD etc. when Leicester is still using 10 year old analogue tv technology and doesnt even have the 2mbit broadband. To rub salt into wounds the analogue tv costs more then the digital packages.

GrayUK
25-05-2007, 12:31
First time I hear of areas restricted to 4mbit, usually its all or nothing.

My old address which was LE3 and analogue I had 10mbit broadband, it was very congested and slow in the evenings but did work and I was able to get full speed from about 3am to 6am :)

My new address which already had cable fittings in side the house is also LE3 but this time tv/phone only no broadband available at all yet a few houses down the street and across the road broadband is available.

The situation in Leicester really is diabolical, they upgrading people to 20mbit VOD etc. when Leicester is still using 10 year old analogue tv technology and doesnt even have the 2mbit broadband. To rub salt into wounds the analogue tv costs more then the digital packages.

Well i am going to put my order into virgin via the online ordering and see what happens, hopefully they will give me 10mb but i can't see them redigging
up every street to lay new cable, surely diamond cable laid the same cable all over LE3 , so i cant see why some addresses already have it but i got told no over the phone.

Hex
25-05-2007, 15:27
It could be a more local problem than you think, when I first moved into this house (LE2 Area) I was told I couldn't get my 600k broadband. Not too happy about that I got my friend the NTL manager to look into why. It turned out that the green street cab was marked as non-serviceable because the cab had been fitted, but the contractors hadn't laid the wires. After some pushing from him, the wires were laid and I got my broadband. :D

It really is a case of who you know not what you know in this world.

gangus
25-05-2007, 16:24
i work in the leicester area and there is a large area of le3 that cant get broadband at all so it would depend on where in le3 u r the area is around the new parks aikman ave area but covers quiet a large chunk

GrayUK
26-05-2007, 13:55
It could be a more local problem than you think, when I first moved into this house (LE2 Area) I was told I couldn't get my 600k broadband. Not too happy about that I got my friend the NTL manager to look into why. It turned out that the green street cab was marked as non-serviceable because the cab had been fitted, but the contractors hadn't laid the wires. After some pushing from him, the wires were laid and I got my broadband. :D

It really is a case of who you know not what you know in this world.

Ihave signed up, just waiting for an e-mail now to say its going ahead, just hope im in a street that can get it.

So much for NTL's slogan " if you can, you should" sounds like "if you can, you might depending on where in the postcode you live"

Chrysalis
27-05-2007, 19:32
i work in the leicester area and there is a large area of le3 that cant get broadband at all so it would depend on where in le3 u r the area is around the new parks aikman ave area but covers quiet a large chunk

Indeed I am close to this area, also braunstone estate area cant get cable broadband.

Do they actually have real plans to resolve this or are the people at the top happy with the situation.

---------- Post added at 19:32 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

Ihave signed up, just waiting for an e-mail now to say its going ahead, just hope im in a street that can get it.

So much for NTL's slogan " if you can, you should" sounds like "if you can, you might depending on where in the postcode you live"

Dont get hopes up too much the website also allows me to order.