PDA

View Full Version : 20Mb woe

willie
24-05-2007, 10:03
Just thought i would post this experience of a call that went all wrong which i do not want to get turned into a hell thread as it so often does if a bad experience of cs or ts is posted as i have a lot of respect for employees who post on these forums helpng other members.
This all started yesterday morning when i called cs on an unrelated matter and mentioned the 20 meg roll out and asked if there was a timscale for the area i was in she said that she would check for me, then she said that i was already upgraded to 20 meg of which i informed her that my speedtests and the moden operation config says i was not. Anyway got transfered to ts who informed me i was not upgraded yet back to cs said i was back to ts who then said i was after the usual tests and modem reboots he said to leave it for a couple of hours to give it time to go thru the system, which i did. config below....
Cable Modem Operation Configuration
Network Access :
Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate :
Maximum Upstream Data Rate :
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst :
Maximum Number of CPEs :
Modem Capability :
Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

Upon my return several hours later i checked the speed and modem config still not upgraded called ts now this is the part that really is the point of this posthe informed me i was on 20 meg i said that according to speed tests and config i was not reply was speed tests are unreliable because of network congestion etc of which i agree they can be unreliable but when i mentioned the configuration setup he said speed is not controled by that but by server and according to server i am on 20 meg, i pointed out if it is set at a certain level that is the highest speed you will get reply was "no you are on 20 meg please check when network not as busy". Then he hung up the phone
The point i am making is that just because one ts is in my opinion 2 slates short of a roof does not make the rest of ts the same i could go on and name a few that has in the past went out of their way to help me in the past but thay know who they are dont you,
Russ
Helpyperson
OB
My highest regards to all the competent staff who use their own time to help the members who use these forums.
Willie

cybernetic_tiger
24-05-2007, 11:09
Hi Willie, which part of Scotland are you in?

This page shows one region of scotland where the upgrades are completed http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/faster/schedule.html

Shocking experience though...

Stephen
24-05-2007, 12:14
The renfrew area of Scotland is due to have the 20MB upgrade completed by the end of May. I have checked on the billing system and it already has the speed showing as 20MB but it doesn't appear to have been enabled on the network yet.

I still have 10MB speeds at the moment. Its still a week to go till the end of the month so just have to see what happens.

deakin
24-05-2007, 15:20
Hi

Slightly off topic,i have a question regarding to what ubr one connects to.

I'm in the SE area on the Renfrew ubr but the strange thing is that i'm much
closer to Uddingston then renfrew, I'm about 16k from Renfew and only 6k from Uddingston. So i'm guessing the distance to the ubs makes no difference ?

Not that i'm complaining mind you, i have a few friends that been upgraded and so far the best their lines have managed is between 10-14Mb.

I've allways been rock solid(my connection i mean :D) so,i'm hoping that i will get the same good performance when upgraded too.

willie
24-05-2007, 15:48
I am in the Greenock area which is due for upgrade this month i do not have a problem with this, it was the fact that i had been told the upgrade was completed for me and then discover that it had not been completed and the runaround i got from 1 ts that prompted me to post this.

Stephen
24-05-2007, 16:59
They could have been looking on the billing system which now states 20MB.

As far as I am aware the rollout is still not complete in the area yet.

CraigT
24-05-2007, 19:49
Just slightly off-topic what is the upload speed for 10mb as that states its 512 in your config and i thought it was 384?

i,m on 10mb and my config says 1024-384 ex-telewest!

can anyone educate me :D

shepz2
24-05-2007, 21:34
Ex-NTL and my 10mb connection has a 512k upload. Thought that was the standard?

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000

CraigT
24-05-2007, 21:41
Hmmm strange read here

http://www.broadbandgenie.co.uk/broadband/Virgin+Media+broadband/111

it seems to me that ex ntl are on 512 and ex telewest are on 384

my config = SW Download INIT - Via Config file cm-10240-384

cybernetic_tiger
24-05-2007, 21:58
it seems to me that ex ntl are on 512 and ex telewest are on 384

The 20Mb package will be the first time that the XL package will be standard across the newly merged company.

CraigT
24-05-2007, 22:01
Ahh nice 1 :D, Thanks for clearing that up now back on topic peeps ;)

Soz for the Hijack:p: