PDA

View Full Version : [Merged]VM Traffic Management Petitions.

dlg007
17-05-2007, 20:33
Hi

Having seen the furore surrounding traffic shaping, I've started up an e-petition against it. If you're from the UK, and have to put up with a sub-standard level of service because of VM's reluctance to properly invest in its network, then sign up at:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/trafficshaping/

stamp92
17-05-2007, 20:39
come on people lets send virgin media a message they wont forget. Get signing this petition now!

alferret
17-05-2007, 20:39
Well I for one WONT be signing it. Im more than happy to live with traffic shaping.

Oh and this is another pointless thread.

Paul H
17-05-2007, 20:52
I'm against a lot of things that Virgin do. and the traffic shaping is one of them. but I will not put my name to anything that makes Tony feel important and that I need his help.

If you feel strongly enough about what Virgin are doing then signing this will have a better affect :)
http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings_vote.php

on in an hour!
17-05-2007, 20:55
I'm against a lot of things that Virgin do. and the traffic shaping is one of them. but I will not put my name to anything that makes Tony feel important and that I need his help.
shouldnt that be gordon,paul..he he..keep up :D

kingdeacon
17-05-2007, 20:57
what about brown? ;)

on in an hour!
Hi

Having seen the furore surrounding traffic shaping, I've started up an e-petition against it. If you're from the UK, and have to put up with a sub-standard level of service because of VM's reluctance to properly invest in its network, then sign up at:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/trafficshaping/
i dont want to sound negative but does this really work.i.e. have any other petitions from this site got anywhere (i apologise in advance if i seem ignorant,but i dont get to see the news much these days).if any have,can you direct me to the news reports etc,thanks.;)

kingdeacon
doh, beat me to it

on in an hour!
17-05-2007, 20:59
doh, beat me to it

you and probably about 3000 other people king,not often we spot paul H missing a trick :D :D

Bill C
17-05-2007, 21:08
Will not sign on that site. I have no intention of giving my email address to Labour so they can spam me at the next election. It is my opinion that site is there to harvest email address's

papa smurf
17-05-2007, 21:12
i had no idea the government had shares in vm, and could influence its policies

Paul K
17-05-2007, 21:13
Traffic shaping is bad..... for those that trigger it with their refusal to adapt ;)

Paul H
17-05-2007, 21:14
i dont want to sound negative but does this really work.i.e. have any other petitions from this site got anywhere (i apologise in advance if i seem ignorant,but i dont get to see the news much these days).if any have,can you direct me to the news reports etc,thanks.;)

The petitions on that site are all a waste of time. it is just the government saying "we listen" but they really don't give a stuff. they just want an email database. as for gordon, did you hear him on the news earlier? nu labour and we're listening! :td:

on in an hour!
17-05-2007, 21:28
The petitions on that site are all a waste of time. it is just the government saying "we listen" but they really don't give a stuff. they just want an email database. as for gordon, did you hear him on the news earlier? nu labour and we're listening! :td:
very cynical paul,its the guys first day!!!! give him a chance..he he.

dlg007
17-05-2007, 22:20

One of the most successful e-petitions was the road-pricing e-petition earlier this year, which gained news coverage on the BBC, as well as a response (http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page11050.asp) from the (ex) PM Tony Blair. E-petitions are a good way of bringing issues to the attention of the public, and the government, if enough signatures are gained. This webpage (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6383717.stm) should explain all.

on in an hour!
17-05-2007, 22:23
One of the most successful e-petitions was the road-pricing e-petition earlier this year, which gained news coverage on the BBC, as well as a response (http://www.pm.gov.uk/output/Page11050.asp) from the (ex) PM Tony Blair. E-petitions are a good way of bringing issues to the attention of the public, and the government, if enough signatures are gained. This webpage (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6383717.stm) should explain all.
thanks for that info m8. :tu:

ecksmen
17-05-2007, 23:05
Well I for one WONT be signing it. Im more than happy to live with traffic shaping.

So pointless you thought you had to post in it?

I'm not against traffic shaping, but IMO this shaping is only going to cause problems for legitimate users. If VM have identified (cough, load of rubbish) it's only 5% of the user base will be effected then why do they need to introduce a shaping mechanism that will effect EVERYONE?

If I wanted to download outside of peak hours I'd have a machine on 24/day on the cheapest package. Seeing as I dont want to live in a server farm, I'd like my connection to work properly all of the time so that if on the odd occasion I do want to do a bit of heavy downloading I can do, knowing it'll be there in sensible hours. I'd rather they kicked off heavy users and introduced a monthly overall cap. Then at the very least I could use my connection how I like.

helmutcheese
17-05-2007, 23:16
Signed :)

Vlad_Dracul
18-05-2007, 14:50
I think the dslzoneuk link would be more effective. Potential customers will see this and know who NOT to sign up with. I see VM are looking bad on that site. BTW i am in favour of traffic shaping for the very worst offenders. I am not in favour of using this as an excuse for crap service and/or lack of network maintenance.

---------- Post added at 14:50 ---------- Previous post was at 14:47 ----------

i had no idea the government had shares in vm, and could influence its policies
Surely we should be petitioning that nice man Richard Branson. After all, isnt VM the stalwart of his Media Empire? I've seen him on television, he is so dashing, a bucaneer and a maverick, also a highly successfull businessman. He seems like a nice chap. I feel I like him. Surely HE will listen to our plight?

DejaVu
23-05-2007, 18:49
So, your all looking forward to a speedy new 20Mb service?

TOUGH, says VirginMedia!
We'll give it to you, but while only while your at work. Come home and use the net and we'll only give you 5Mb for your mega monthly price!
http://abcde.co.uk/virginmedia/stm.html

Sod that I say,
Sign the petition, spread the word and get as many as possible. They must listen to the masses!
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/sn2ts/

Bill C
23-05-2007, 18:53
So, your all looking forward to a speedy new 20Mb service?

TOUGH, says VirginMedia!
We'll give it to you, but while only while your at work. Come home and use the net and we'll only give you 5Mb for your mega monthly price!
http://abcde.co.uk/virginmedia/stm.html

Sod that I say,
Sign the petition, spread the word and get as many as possible. They must listen to the masses!
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/sn2ts/

:LOL: another petition. There is already at least 5 i have heard about. No one listens to petitions just look at the 2 million signature one about road pricing and see what that did. :LOL:

There is only one reason for these petition sites and that email address harvesting.

DejaVu
23-05-2007, 19:03
Dont give your email address then. Just use nothanks@virginmedia.com!!!
Road traffic pricing one thing. Richard Branson (Customer focused entrepeneur) another!

VirginMedia is just the new brand name. It is still run by ALL NTL & Telewest call centres they were brought out by Virgin and they are now calling the shots. Hence why it's gone to pot. If enough people complain, the extra cash they are making out of their 20Mb service will be forced to be used to improve their servers instead of lining their pockets.

If you know these other 5 petitions, spread them about. The more sign's the better. On ANY petition.

Lots of people are
a) tied in to Virgin contract
b) without a BT line (£124.99 installation) or
c) prefer the direct connection to the internet.

It goes without saying that ADSL sucks in comparison to Cable - even with the traffic management. But why ruin the best service in the country?

Locky
23-05-2007, 19:25
Dont give your email address then. Just use nothanks@virginmedia.com!!!
Road traffic pricing one thing. Richard Branson (Customer focused entrepeneur) another!

VirginMedia is just the new brand name. It is still run by ALL NTL & Telewest call centres they were brought out by Virgin and they are now calling the shots. Hence why it's gone to pot. If enough people complain, the extra cash they are making out of their 20Mb service will be forced to be used to improve their servers instead of lining their pockets.

If you know these other 5 petitions, spread them about. The more sign's the better. On ANY petition.

Lots of people are
a) tied in to Virgin contract
b) without a BT line (£124.99 installation) or
c) prefer the direct connection to the internet.

It goes without saying that ADSL sucks in comparison to Cable - even with the traffic management. But why ruin the best service in the country?

because they can, it is very sad they want to ruin the reputation of the company before it has even truly begun

DejaVu
23-05-2007, 19:36
Well, like every Virgin Customer I've come into contact with, they are going to go lower than Orange if they dont fix this straight away. So IMHO - They can't afford to lose their customer base considering Sky are trying to force them out anyway by removing their channels. Soon Virgin will have no leg to stand, except their Broadband!

supercyber
24-05-2007, 00:17

then y do u bother posting here. be happy.

the petition is good idea, but i am sure using the goverment petition is good.

jcardiff
24-05-2007, 08:36
Your best bet is to complain to the advertising standards agency about the way virgin are advertising one thing and doing something quite different, no offence but petitions will come to very little as they are extremely easy to ignore, if the goverment are happy to ignore petitions why should anyone else care about them

Almazred
01-06-2007, 15:41
Apologies if this has been pointed out before, but has anyone read this?

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/114516/bandwidth-throttling-petition-launched.html

taximan
01-06-2007, 15:49
Nice idea but isnt giving the government a list of err "heavy users" asking for trouble :)

zing_deleted
01-06-2007, 15:51
lol yeah im happy with the shaping it works how its meant and now im on 20 meg I get all I want well before 4 pm now :)

Bill C
01-06-2007, 17:03
Another Email address collection trap :LOL:

leighbee
08-06-2007, 11:07
There is a petition to sign for anyone fed up with broadband caps and slow downs - well it can't do any harm ......

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/broadbandripoff/

:):dozey::)

Bill C
08-06-2007, 11:36
:rolleyes: not another one that now makes at least 6 in the last month. They dont even look at them so what is the point of giving them your email address so they can then spam you at election time :rolleyes:

tweetypie/8
08-06-2007, 11:53
There is a petition to sign for anyone fed up with broadband caps and slow downs - well it can't do any harm ......

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/broadbandripoff/

:):dozey::)

you would be better off wiping your a*** with it, thats all its worth. :disturbd:

Hugh
08-06-2007, 12:12
Wouldn't that smear the screen? :)

Safeman
25-06-2007, 19:06

Paul K
25-06-2007, 19:09
And if they are forced to remove throttling then you can forget cheap BB in the future.

Bill C
25-06-2007, 19:11
And if they are forced to remove throttling then you can forget cheap BB in the future.

There a complete waste of time. All these petition sites are email address collection sites. Lets face it even the Government one has done f all about any of the petitions that it has running.

I prefer to keep my email address and details to my self. The last thing i want is Labour spamming me at the next election with a email address that i gave them via their petition site.

Hugh
25-06-2007, 19:18
Shouldn't the thread header reflect what the petition says?
"Investigate ISP's oversubscribing on their network and throttling broadband."

The petitions is general to ISP's, not specific to VM......

Bill C
25-06-2007, 19:34
Shouldn't the thread header reflect what the petition says?
"Investigate ISP's oversubscribing on their network and throttling broadband."

The petitions is general to ISP's, not specific to VM......

I work for VM, Ok so everyone knows i make that very clear on this forum.

The OP works for Sky

So you work out why he has said Vm in the title

dev
25-06-2007, 19:58
Internet providers are quite clearly oversubscribing on their networks and are resorting to throttling speeds to lower congestion. The problem is they are selling a product by speed and are not offering this speed at peak times (anywhere from 4pm to 1am) which means the service you are paying for is not the service you bought or was advertised.

please show me a single residential ISP that advertises a 1:1 dedicated connection.

i think a petition should be made to get people who complain about pointless things or people who expect everything for free kicked out of the UK. It seems a lot of people in the UK just want everything for as cheap price as possible

Toto
25-06-2007, 20:10
Lets see.....sign the petition, give up my email address to the governemt?....what would Red Foreman say?

What a dumb*ss :)

I'd have given your post a little more consideration if I hadn't read your profile first. It is so blatently biased against VM, a blind man could have seen that coming.

Safeman
25-06-2007, 20:11
I work for VM, Ok so everyone knows i make that very clear on this forum.

The OP works for Sky

So you work out why he has said Vm in the title as i said i found this post. and btw i do work for sky but i only fix the units as i have said in the wot do you do for a living post i work for sky not trying to hide that........:monkey:

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

Lets see.....sign the petition, give up my email address to the governemt?....what would Red Foreman say?

What a dumb*ss :)

I'd have given your post a little more consideration if I hadn't read your profile first ffs i just found this post i didnt make it up

Toto
25-06-2007, 20:19
as i said i found this post. and btw i do work for sky but i only fix the units as i have said in the wot do you do for a living post i work for sky not trying to hide that........:monkey:

---------- Post added at 20:11 ---------- Previous post was at 20:10 ----------

ffs i just found this post i didnt make it up

OK, my points are retracted, sorry.

Hugh
25-06-2007, 20:22
as i said i found this post. and btw i do work for sky but i only fix the units as i have said in the wot do you do for a living post i work for sky not trying to hide that........:monkey:
So why didn't the thread say "ISP's" instead of VM?

grabbi
25-06-2007, 20:55

Ill second that.

The company is doing it for a reason, so Ill stick by them.

I have done for 2 Years, and I dont intend to take drastic action on something that was introduced in the past 2 or 3 months.