PDA

View Full Version : Speed drop after upgrade to XL - is this normal!

harmonyinfo
23-05-2007, 18:11
Just upgraded my broadband connection from L (4Mbps) to XL. The lady on the phone said our area had 20Mb, but not sure (RG12, Bracknell postcode).

I immediately noticed a >50% reduction in speed to around 1.5Mbps. I have been running an hourly test and getting consistently 4Mbps on my old L connection (except for occasional drop in evenings). But the XL download seems really poor. Upload seems to have increased slightly to around 470Kbps, so I think they have put me on the proper connection speed!

Is this the same thing others are experiencing with the XL package?

Jim

cybernetic_tiger
23-05-2007, 18:27
You will need to log into your modem via the 192.168.100.1 management page with a username and password of root. This will tell you what operational configuration your modem is running.

Please can you post these details...

harmonyinfo
23-05-2007, 20:41
Hi
I'm afraid my modem doesn't support the web page access - and docsdiag doesn't work either. Terayon TJ210 cable modem.

But I phoned the tech support, and the chap there said it is all set up correctly for 10Mb, but the speed is a lot lower than it should be. So he has booked in an engineer.

The drop came immediately after the switch to the higher speed, so seems the modem or my line can't cope with however the 10Mb service works.

Jim

Druchii
23-05-2007, 20:44
The terajets can't do 10Mb nevermind 20Mb.

DejaVu
23-05-2007, 20:49
As soon as you get the 20Mb you are introduced into the Traffic Management System!

cybernetic_tiger
23-05-2007, 20:57
As soon as you get the 20Mb you are introduced into the Traffic Management System!

oooh you make it sound so sinister ;)

Paul K
23-05-2007, 20:57
Ring them, tell them your modem doesn't support the speed you are paying for and ask for one to be sent out for a self install.

harmonyinfo
23-05-2007, 22:34
OK. I've got a new modem now coming in the post for self install. Thanks. Hopefully that will sort the problem.

Seems odd that on the 4Mb service the modem coped fine and gave downloads of 4Mb, but on the 10/20Mb it could only manage 1 - 1.5Mbps. But maybe something subtlely different about how the 10/20Mb works that breaks the Terayon that the 4Mb didn't do.

Jim

homealone
23-05-2007, 22:41
OK. I've got a new modem now coming in the post for self install. Thanks. Hopefully that will sort the problem.

Seems odd that on the 4Mb service the modem coped fine and gave downloads of 4Mb, but on the 10/20Mb it could only manage 1 - 1.5Mbps. But maybe something subtlely different about how the 10/20Mb works that breaks the Terayon that the 4Mb didn't do.

Jim

someone will shoot me down, if I'm wrong ;) no doubt, and don't ask me to explain, but Terayon modems are allegedly not up to the network being upgraded to the 'QAM256' rather than 'QAM64' protocol, which is being rolled out along with the '20Meg' speed upgrade????

sollp
23-05-2007, 22:59
someone will shoot me down, if I'm wrong ;) no doubt, and don't ask me to explain, but Terayon modems are allegedly not up to the network being upgraded to the 'QAM256' rather than 'QAM64' protocol, which is being rolled out along with the '20Meg' speed upgrade????

Yep your right.

matrixjs
24-05-2007, 00:11
I also have just upgraded my speed from L to XL but I only seem to be getting 10mb. I have been to http://192.168.100.1/ and its showing as Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 20480000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 768000

When trying to dl anything im getting 1mbs and just tried several speedtest sites and they keep reporting around 9500kbs down and 730kbs up im using the NTL 200 Cable modem via Ethernet to a Netgear FA311 PCI card. Anyone have any ideas why I can only get 10mb speeds? I have tried playing around with all the 10/100 Duplex settings for the NIC and all go slow apart from the 10BaseT Full Duplex setting which seems fastest.

Thanks

Paul
24-05-2007, 00:17
Just to state the obvious, you cannot get 20M on the 10base setting.

If you change the settings on the NIC, you may/will also need to make the same change on the modem (if you can).

matrixjs
24-05-2007, 00:22
Just to state the obvious, you cannot get 20M on the 10base setting.

If you change the settings on the NIC, you will also need to make the same change on the modem.

Yes thats what I thought but using the 100base settings the speeds drop to about 6mb, how do I change the setting on the modem, there appears to be no changeable setting that I can see?

Paul
24-05-2007, 00:24
You can't on some it seems. I hope that's because they auto sense, but I don't have technical details on them.

paulsaj
24-05-2007, 00:39
Going back to the original poster, I also had a rock solid 4MB off the set top box but going to 10MB seems to have crapped out my connection. Although I have a wireless router that does not explain the poor performance I have had for the last six weeks or so. Plenty of people are also experiencing the same problems. Can't you mods find out why so many subscribers cannot get the speed that they pay for?

Paul K
24-05-2007, 06:18
Why don't you call VM and complain? Any router in the mix can affect speeds so the first step in troubleshooting the speed issue is to remove the router, direct connect to modem, check your levels on the modem and run a speed test.
If it were as simple as a team member just calling up VM and saying "Why aren't subscribers getting full speed? Fix it please" then this forum would not exist ;) There are many reasons why people do not get full speed, some of the reasons are actually to do with the equipment at the subscribers end rather than VMs.

BoroButch
24-05-2007, 19:56
I also have just upgraded my speed from L to XL but I only seem to be getting 10mb. I have been to http://192.168.100.1/ and its showing as Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 20480000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 768000

When trying to dl anything im getting 1mbs and just tried several speedtest sites and they keep reporting around 9500kbs down and 730kbs up im using the NTL 200 Cable modem via Ethernet to a Netgear FA311 PCI card. Anyone have any ideas why I can only get 10mb speeds? I have tried playing around with all the 10/100 Duplex settings for the NIC and all go slow apart from the 10BaseT Full Duplex setting which seems fastest.

Thanks

Hi,

I'm new here so go easy on me. I've just upgraded to 10mb which I think is being turned up to 20mb tomorrow (Friday) in the Middlesbrough area.

I was wondering how to check my modem config. I've tried the link above but it's asking for a User Name and Pass Word and I don't what mine are. How do I find out?

FIA, BoroButch.

matrixjs
24-05-2007, 19:59
Hi,

I'm new here so go easy on me. I've just upgraded to 10mb which I think is being turned up to 20mb tomorrow (Friday) in the Middlesbrough area.

I was wondering how to check my modem config. I've tried the link above but it's asking for a User Name and Pass Word and I don't what mine are. How do I find out?

FIA, BoroButch.

Hi, type in root in user name and password fields

BoroButch
24-05-2007, 20:05
Hi, type in root in user name and password fields

Thanks matrixjs,

Has I thought still on 10mb. I'll check again tomorrow, to see if 20mb has been switched on.

punky
24-05-2007, 20:15
Going back to the original poster, I also had a rock solid 4MB off the set top box but going to 10MB seems to have crapped out my connection. Although I have a wireless router that does not explain the poor performance I have had for the last six weeks or so. Plenty of people are also experiencing the same problems. Can't you mods find out why so many subscribers cannot get the speed that they pay for?

Same here. When the 3meg was upgraded to 10, my Sammy STB just cried and gave up. I was getting less than 3 I was before. Downgraded to the 4 meg package and I get a solid 4meg now.

None of the STBs are suitable for broadband over 5mbps. So if you're still running one you need it swapped for a modem.

ntluser
25-05-2007, 07:24
Same here. When the 3meg was upgraded to 10, my Sammy STB just cried and gave up. I was getting less than 3 I was before. Downgraded to the 4 meg package and I get a solid 4meg now.

None of the STBs are suitable for broadband over 5mbps. So if you're still running one you need it swapped for a modem.

What can the V+ boxes cope with?

Also if a customer wants 10Mb or higher does that automatically mean a switch to a modem?

Anybody out there on 10Mb on the Baguley server? Just wondered what service you are getting and what modem you were using?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

lucevans
25-05-2007, 14:01

No question of "shooting you down" homealone - you're only trying to help, but I don't think that QAM256 is being rolled-out together with 20Mb. I'm in the Peterborough area, which was originally cabled by Bell Cable Media, later became Virgin Media via NTL, and I'm already on the 20Mb service suppied over a QAM64 connection. As I understand it, the only practical difference to us end-users between QAM256 and QAM64 is the number of customers who can be mutiplexed over the same width data pipe (QAM256 being able to handle 4 times as many customers). I think I must be lucky in my area (i.e. nowhere near oversubscribed) as my QAM64 connection seems to be able to provide 20Mb without any difficulties - I'm typically getting ~19Mb/s connection speed (sorry if that sounds like bragging!)

Rob

matrixjs
25-05-2007, 16:58
I called Virgin today about my NTL 200 modem not going any faster than 10mb I also lied and said it was Broken and they said they would send me out a new Modem in the post should be with me on the 29th they said so hopefully the 20mb will work then :)

Hugh
26-05-2007, 15:50
This might not improve your speed, but it may give you evidence to back up any claims you make to VM Customer Services/Faults.

I found this on thinkbroadband.com (http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=virgin_cable&Number=3007494&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=0&fpart=) (it's a bit long, but I think it is useful)

"Im kinda getting worried that people on here are getting far to obsessed with speedtest sites which are notoriously delivering poor figures due to several factors one of which could be contention at our end or peak time internet use.

However, 99% of the time the result you get from a speedtest site is simply an indicator of how fast a single thread can make it from a source to your computer. Now to let me clarify a 'single thread' this is when you open a download / run a speedtest without using the help of a download manager and the outcome of this is that you find out how fast a single http thread can make it your computer..

This maybe 3mb @ peak times on your 20mb cable connection or at times when the internet is very quiet and the bandwith usage from the specific site/speedtest site is low you may actually see a single thread speedtest make it to your computer @ your connection speed (20mb) however in my vast experience with several ISP's over the past few years, especially now with much faster connection speeds this VERY VERY rarely happens.

Just to clarify this post it entirely aimed @ 20mb/10mb customers as 2/4mb shouldnt have an issue with single download speeds.

Why is this? Well its because most speedtest sites were ideally setup in mind to test 2mb connections however most have upgraded bandwith/backhaul capacity greatly to handle 8mb connections however very very few are equipped to test a 20mb connection.

How do you test your 'Actual' Maximum download speed?
Simple you need to open up more connections to your given source, in plain english this means: If you current speedtest @ peak time is lets say 3mbit and you subscribe to virgin media's XL product, then you need to open up 7 connections to your given source to ensure you download @ 20mb (3mbitx7 = 21mbit), I however recommend using 10 connections (threads) that way you ensure ample bandwith.

How do you do this?
Well for a single file simply use a download manager (2 are suggested below both of which are totally free), once you've installed your download manager make sure you tell it to open 10 connections (threads) that way your prepared to download @ full speed.

http://www.freedownloadmanager.org (http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/) (very comprehensive download manager)
if you use firefox as your browser a much simpler option is downthemall: http://www.downthemall.net (http://www.downthemall.net/) this automatically opens 10 connections and should give you full speed.

Which is the best site to download a test file from to test my speed?
http://fuller.zen.co.uk/test/ (http://fuller.zen.co.uk/test/) - just choose one of the 100mb test files (UK based)
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/musicandvideo/hdvideo/contentshowcase.aspx (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/musicandvideo/hdvideo/contentshowcase.aspx)
This site usually gives a very reliable high bandwith throughput and should show you your actual maxiumum download speed. Just choose one of the wmvhd clips from this page. (US Based however usually has plenty o bandwith)

What about Bittorrent / Usenet?
Well those of you out there using usenet just simply set your newsreader to use 10 connections and you should have absolutly no issues whatsoever. Bittorrent speeds are notoriously poor however bittorrent does open a stack of connections to each source so you should (if the file is popular) see a respectable speed most of the time, however dont expect 20mb without using usenet.

What else can I do to improve my connection speeds?
Ensure you use Ethernet (all new VM subscribers have no option now but to use ethernet as USB has been removed from the new modems). Also ensure you have set your TCP/IP settings as this can have a major detrimental affect on your download speeds. A friend of myne who had stock TCP/IP settings with windows XP could only get a maximum throughput of 4mbit on a 10mb connection, however after I changed his settings he was able to get the full 10mb speed.

To adjust your TCP/IP settings download TCP Optimizer from:
http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php (http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php)
Install and run the program then:

Make sure you choose your ethernet adaptor from the drop down box and then:
Set your connection speed in the box and click optimize button the program will automatically update your TCP/IP settings and ask you to restart your computer.

I hope this helps clear up some issues and some gripes, also id appreciate some feedback if this helps you download @ full speed."

paulw37
26-05-2007, 16:09
What can the V+ boxes cope with?

Also if a customer wants 10Mb or higher does that automatically mean a switch to a modem?

Anybody out there on 10Mb on the Baguley server? Just wondered what service you are getting and what modem you were using?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

When I switched to V+ they automatically installed a SACM for me. As far as I am aware, they do not put broadband of any level through the V+ box. Not sure about your other questions.

janipewter
27-05-2007, 02:10
I don't believe you can get BB through the V+ box.

KingRoLo
28-05-2007, 20:40
It's bizarre, i have a 20 meg connection and with the speed test i get:

Mon, 28 May 2007 19:28:32 GMT

1st 512K took 656 ms = 780.5 KB/sec, approx 6431 Kbps, 6.28 Mbps
2nd 512K took 469 ms = 1091.7 KB/sec, approx 8996 Kbps, 8.79 Mbps
3rd 512K took 390 ms = 1312.8 KB/sec, approx 10817 Kbps, 10.56 Mbps
4th 512K took 407 ms = 1258 KB/sec, approx 10366 Kbps, 10.12 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 9153 Kbps, 8.94 MbpsIs this ok? i am a noob when it comes to this.

But whenever i download anything i can rarely achieve anything over 400K a sec. It usually tops out at about 350K on a good day and ive tried all times of the day on weekdays and weekends.

---------- Post added at 20:37 ---------- Previous post was at 20:32 ----------

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/speedtest.php

gives me:

6743 Kbps
which is around 842.89 KB/s
including overheads

---------- Post added at 20:40 ---------- Previous post was at 20:37 ----------

But when i try one of these files http://fuller.zen.co.uk/test/ so this is a real world UK test and i only top out at about 300k MAX :(

harmonyinfo
31-05-2007, 11:17
Just an update on the original post I made.

Engineer came today with a new modem (255) and swapped out my old Terayon one. Connection is now whizzing along at 10Mbps, so problem was that the modem could not handle the higher speeds.

Jim

KingRoLo
01-06-2007, 23:01
Just an update on the original post I made.

Engineer came today with a new modem (255) and swapped out my old Terayon one. Connection is now whizzing along at 10Mbps, so problem was that the modem could not handle the higher speeds.

Jim

What's your average dl rate?

harmonyinfo
02-06-2007, 08:50
What's your average dl rate?

I run an oldish program called broadband wizard that does a test every hour and plots a graph showing the download rate. Quite useful to see the ups and downs.

It is showing my average speed is consistent throughout the day at around 10250Kbps, but with occasional drop offs in the evening to around 7000Kbps.