PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Broadband and Vista

charlieannear
23-05-2007, 10:53
Hi all

Apologies if this has been covered ad infinitum.

My PC has just died (XP) so I'm going to need a new one.
I have an NTL cable modem.
I'm thinking of getting a laptop with Vista preinstalled.
I had heard there were problems with Vista machines and Virgin Broadband- is this still the case or have the issues been sorted?

Thanks, and sorry if this is already common knowledge.

C.

zing_deleted
23-05-2007, 10:56
use ethernet or wireless and you will be fine its only usb drivers for modems id see as a problem. Im on VM and Vista right now ;)

r00t
23-05-2007, 10:56
You can connect using the ethernet cable.
The setup disk will not work so you can't use USB, PCGuard doesn't run on Vista; (some say thats a good thing as PCGuard is pants)

r00t:edit
Meh beaten by the blue meanie
**me waves to Zing :)

zing_deleted
23-05-2007, 11:03
Blue meanie I like that ;)

Locky
23-05-2007, 11:04
i have vista on dual boot along with xp, just jus detected the internet (wich is shared from another pc) and worked right away, jus use ethernet cable and u will be fine

charlieannear
23-05-2007, 12:15
Thanks for those swift responses guys.
Would be looking at ethernet/wifi.
Nice one!

C.

valor
11-06-2007, 19:17
This is a good help to me, as ime about to setup a new build with Vista, saved me a post..thanks

jubbi
11-06-2007, 19:57
I've had a day of trying to get vista to work on one of my networks. I really do beleive they only change things so that we have to go on yet another active directory course. Gerrr. After 4 hours everything except the start menu worked, so pretty much useless. I HATE VISTA!

It does however work great as a non domain connected OS. I've not had it on any of mine since the beta, but once you've found you way around it you see why they've moved things.