PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper prices for new customers (not a retentions deal)

kristoficus
23-05-2007, 00:28
Appologies if this has come up before, but the news got me a little excited...heres why.

For new customers, the first 12 months of your broadband price is slashed as shown below:

2mb
Normal price = £18 /mo
First 12 months = £10 /mo
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=227

4mb
Normal price = £25 /mo
First 12 months = £17 /mo
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=3264

10mb going on 20mb
Normal price = £37 /mo
First 12 months = £29 /mo
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=3246

---------

Gonna phone up and make some enquiries... but maybe some of you guys know better?

Can I get two seperate connections (eg, a 2mb and a 20mb) in the same house?

I already have the 4mb service but its in my dads name. I'll be classed as a new customer (and hence elligible for this "offer") if he cancels it and i take out my own contract, right?

If so, would they charge me an installation fee since I already have the modem and everything set up?

Finally, would having 2 connections under the same roof have a negative impact on either? ie, would they essentially be taking a "cutting" from the 20mb leaving me with ~18? (assume my area can get the full 20mb whack)

Andrex
23-05-2007, 00:39
You can't have two accounts (or connections) at one address, unfortunately. They could transfer it into your name via an account transfer, but it needs your dads permission, and enters you into a 12 month contract. You need to be 18 or over as it's a legally binding contract.

kristoficus
23-05-2007, 00:45
Ahh dont worry...22 so a contract wouldnt be an issue.

Sucks about that limitation... my dad lives at a different address and pay for his own internet, while still having the account for the connection at this house - just give him the cash each month. Was less hastle than a new contract at the time.

£29/mo for 20mb sounds much better than my current £25 for 4mb, so taking out a new contract sounded like a good idea. Brother is also interested in his own (2mb) connection as theres always fights between us on this 4mb - i lag his gaming, he lags my browsing etc

TraxData
23-05-2007, 01:52
You can't have two accounts (or connections) at one address, unfortunately. They could transfer it into your name via an account transfer, but it needs your dads permission, and enters you into a 12 month contract. You need to be 18 or over as it's a legally binding contract.

Course, that's why i have 2x10mbit connections from VM then is it...

Bonglet
23-05-2007, 02:43
Smells funny somehow that this is just announced as the service is in meltdown and droves of long time out of contract (ex happy customers) are leaving there trying hard with a new price push to try and keep people happy for just another year never mind the lolable service they are now treating people with.

Rik
23-05-2007, 10:04
never mind the lolable service they are now treating people with.

Nothing lolable about 1.18MB/s and my friend is getting 2.4MB/s ;)

I call that rather good even with STM on 20MB! ;)

dcclanuk
23-05-2007, 10:34

Course, that's why i have 2x10mbit connections from VM then is it...

You CAN have 2 BBi connections in one property. My relative rented 1 ROOM in his house, and the people living their had ntl installed. So both had different STB's, phonelines etc...

Chris W
23-05-2007, 11:52
You can have two connections, as long as the accounts are in different names.

You need one modem for each connection, so any installation charges that would apply, would apply in exactly the same way regardless of if there is already an account at the property.

kristoficus
23-05-2007, 13:23
In that case, would I be charged just the one installation or 2 x £25 installation fees?

Buying online gets you £10 off - would it be easier just doing it all over the phone rather than over online though?

Also about the 2 seperate connections -thanks for letting me know, but different account names as in 2 seperate people with seperate payment details (brother is only 17 - no card), or just use the same payment (my card) as long as 1 BB is in my name and the other in my brothers?

(sorry if these are "basic" questions - have phoned NTL in the past and i lost my rag with them - why are they all Indian or Pakistani? Im not at all racist, but I can never understand them and they never seem to understand me - so would rather do as little phone work with Virgin as possible)

wlmlb
23-05-2007, 13:45
You can i've got two

helmutcheese
23-05-2007, 14:55
Where are they going to put all these new customers, many UBR's are overloaded right now and were with 10meg nevermind 20meg, far too many users for greedy NTL (VM)

Rik
23-05-2007, 15:48
Where are they going to put all these new customers, many UBR's are overloaded right now and were with 10meg nevermind 20meg, far too many users for greedy NTL (VM)

Well they can upgrade the infrastructure with all this new income from new customers :)

You have to speculate to accumilate ;)

helmutcheese
23-05-2007, 17:24
Pocket it or sponcer more footy teams, and now pay Ruby Wax after shelling out a wasted $36miliion on Uma.

slowcoach
23-05-2007, 19:55
Pocket it or sponcer more footy teams, and now pay Ruby Wax after shelling out a wasted $36miliion on Uma.
I did offer to lose VM even more customers for a lot less than they agreed to pay Uma but no, the money was burning a hole in their pocket. :monkey:
Don't know if I could lose VM more customers than Ruby will, that could be a real challenge. :nutter:

Vlad_Dracul
23-05-2007, 20:01
Appologies if this has come up before, but the news got me a little excited...heres why.

For new customers, the first 12 months of your broadband price is slashed as shown below:

2mb
Normal price = £18 /mo
First 12 months = £10 /mo
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=227

4mb
Normal price = £25 /mo
First 12 months = £17 /mo
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=3264

10mb going on 20mb
Normal price = £37 /mo
First 12 months = £29 /mo
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=3246

---------

Gonna phone up and make some enquiries... but maybe some of you guys know better?

Can I get two seperate connections (eg, a 2mb and a 20mb) in the same house?

I already have the 4mb service but its in my dads name. I'll be classed as a new customer (and hence elligible for this "offer") if he cancels it and i take out my own contract, right?

If so, would they charge me an installation fee since I already have the modem and everything set up?

Finally, would having 2 connections under the same roof have a negative impact on either? ie, would they essentially be taking a "cutting" from the 20mb leaving me with ~18? (assume my area can get the full 20mb whack)

Yes,i phoned them two months ago and told them i was leaving as i did not see why new customers should have the same service as myself for £10pm when i am paying £18. They promplty moved me to the £10 pm deal. Considering how poor the service is these days, it isnt worth £18pm anyway.IMHO

Akia
23-05-2007, 23:20
You can't now have more than one account per address.especially if your account is on the ICOMs billing system, as each account number is tied to the address and not the person. so if i had the acount number 123456-05 the person that has a account at the address before me would have had the number 123456-04 under NTL you could but not any more

ECW_Original
23-05-2007, 23:29
YES YOU CAN!!!! my best mate has a 20mb line downstairs and his son has another 20mb line upstairs, no wander i get such slow speeds lol

Mick Fisher
24-05-2007, 07:29
I did offer to lose VM even more customers for a lot less than they agreed to pay Uma but no, the money was burning a hole in their pocket. :monkey:
Don't know if I could lose VM more customers than Ruby will, that could be a real challenge. :nutter:

:LOL:

Rapid_UK
24-05-2007, 18:25
I had 2 connections at one point, but stopped using the second because i didnt play my xbox much anymore at that time.

I had BB through the STB, then i shouted i wanted a proper modem, which they sent out.

I set up the Modem which worked fine, then I found out that the STB also worked independently of teh modem, so I had 2 connections, under one roof under 1 account..... so there.... it can be done.