PDA

View Full Version : Modem upgrade for 20MB broadband - confused...

tvout
22-05-2007, 20:29
Hi all,

I went to www.virginmedia.com/changes (http://www.virginmedia.com/changes) (finally updated!) and checked my modem for 20MB.

My modem is a Scientific Atlanta DPX100 V2.1 and they're sending me a new one (any ideas on what make and model it's likely to be and is it any good?)

What I didn't understand was in the list of modems they had set top boxes?
I have an Explorer 4200 DVB, which wasn't on there, only the 4000DVB. I'm guessing I'm being a bit thick here but do some people receive their broadband through a set top box instead of a modem? What's the deal with that?

Halcyon
22-05-2007, 20:57
Yes, some people who have Internet get it through the set top box.
More and more people now use a cable modem supplied by Virginmedia as they are needed for the faster speeds and are more reliable.

Nedkelly
22-05-2007, 21:12
The new modem is the VM 255 this is what everyone gets now :) Some aeras used to get there bb through a settop box

tvout
22-05-2007, 21:42
The new modem is the VM 255 this is what everyone gets now :) Some aeras used to get there bb through a settop box
What's that modem like? Can you access it via http the same as the Webstar ones?

homealone
22-05-2007, 21:52
What's that modem like? Can you access it via http the same as the Webstar ones?

they are small, black, have an ethernet, only, interface (no USB) & yes, access to status, etc via http :)

ssdd
22-05-2007, 21:53
You should get this modem and the quick start guide will tell you how to connect it

ufitm
23-05-2007, 10:55
I ordered a new modem on the quick start way just phone they have no record of order and say i do not need one as my westar epc2100 is ok
i told them i was advised to do it . i was given order no and reccived email
to say it was beening packed and sent out. rang up today kept getting put through to differnet departments even some twice . could some one advise
me on what to do next please:mad:

helmutcheese
23-05-2007, 13:53
Scientific Atlantia 2100 < Got mines today, I will stick with my SB 4100.

r00t
23-05-2007, 14:02
Just read your thread on this subject, I didn't post as you requested positive feed back in there, so.

Why must you have a M/rola and not a SA.

How do you know the M/rolas are better than the SA. And if you do know they are for sure would you show me your solid evidence, some stats would be nice.

And reading through your post history, you don't really seem at all happy with VM, so why don't you do yourself the ultimate favour and it your custom elsewhere.

helmutcheese
23-05-2007, 14:05
I think I already stated why I want a Moto.

I have a liftetime retention to stay, thats not why I am still with them, I was promised things would improve by the summer (from Oct 2006).

I removed the thread, will cause too much bother here.

r00t
23-05-2007, 14:07
Well I can tell you this. We have less problems with our webstar/SA range than the M/rolas.

On a personal note, _I_ think you are just looking for things to pick at!

helmutcheese
23-05-2007, 14:13
Thats up to you but you know nothing of me, I and others have mentioned beforehand we would want moto's as they are solid so none of your input has helped me in the slightess.

r00t
23-05-2007, 14:57
I and others have mentioned beforehand we would want moto's as they are solid so none of your input has helped me in the slightess.

Well with such damning evidence, I take it all back. You are right M/rolas are much better. So the next call I take and its a M/rola modem they have I'll tell them you said the M/rola range is solid so there can't be anything wrong with it.
I'll also go see my manager and advise them that we should no longer use the webstar/SA range because you and 'others' have mentioned that M/rola's are better.

3100 pants
4100 pants
4200 pants
These are all M/rola and have a higher call driver into our TS center than _any_ of the webstar/SA range.
_You_ may prefare the M/rola range and you may want the 5100e because of personal reasons ( aesthetic or whatever ), but please don't try and tell me that the M/rola is better when clearly I'm in a better position to know differently.

Oh and since you plan on not using the 2100, please call the center and tell us so we can have the data assignment removed from it, this will save us time because you'll use your 4100 one day and you won't get online, the reason for this is stated above.

Good luck with your plans on getting a M/rola 5100.
/r00t

helmutcheese
23-05-2007, 15:00
You are not supposed to be on here esp talking about work, you risk your job, and I intend to return the crappy modem in the Jiffy bag they supplied for my old modem, infact I will pay for the whole box to go back.

P.S I missed a call from a manager at VM, he said on my machine he will call back before 8pm.

nfs6600
23-05-2007, 15:10
You are not supposed to be on here esp talking about work, you risk your job, .

How is he/she risking losing their job? They have not divulged any company sensitive information out and said nothing out of line which would risk their position in Virgin Media.

helmutcheese
23-05-2007, 15:16
NTL and TW-BY staff were not allowed here, VM may have changed that stance who knows but its true and some of them psot a lot of dangerous info like telling users how to change modem upstream channels, is this enough for you ?.

nfs6600
23-05-2007, 15:24
NTL and TW-BY staff were not allowed here, VM may have changed that stance who knows but its true and some of them psot a lot of dangerous info like telling users how to change modem upstream channels, is this enough for you ?.

And just where do you get this information from? And no that's not enough for me as you have not directed me to any threads that show a verified employee of VM informing customers of such practices. :td: What VM employees do out of work has nothing to do with the company. If your posting in work time, from work, then yes they have every right to dicipline you as such.

It would however have everything to do with the company if the employee divulged company sensitive information etc.

helmutcheese
23-05-2007, 15:28
I got the info from here and on the phone to TW-BY after some idiot staff member got all users to jump on channel 2 of the modems and saturate it, I could hardly surf the web, BY changed me to channel 1.

I did add that VM may have a diff stance on this and this was backed up by one of MOD's here.

So thumbs down to yourself.

nfs6600
23-05-2007, 15:39
I got the info from here and on the phone to TW-BY after some idiot staff member got all users to jump on channel 2 of the modems and saturate it, I could hardly surf the web, BY changed me to channel 1.

I did add that VM may have a diff stance on this and this was backed up by one of MOD's here.

So thumbs down to yourself.

:td::td: to you for calling members of Virgin Media idiots.

The stance is not to supply official help on here as this is not an official VM forum or way of contacting the company. Anything advised by anyone on here, whether they be employed by VM or not, is done so at the users risk.

How long ago was this out of interest? You keep refering to TW-BY which was some time ago now....

helmutcheese
23-05-2007, 17:23
Actually I am calling ones who did the above idiots not all so dont be so paranoid.

Yes and I was refering to TW-BY as this was when the above issue happened.

nfs6600
23-05-2007, 17:32
Actually I am calling ones who did the above idiots not all so dont be so paranoid.

Yes and I was refering to TW-BY as this was when the above issue happened.

Changed then so he is not risking his job and has every right to post here.

bb807
23-05-2007, 17:46
I have the old modem pictured above the ntl200 is it,and get speeds on 23/24,kool.:tu:

helmutcheese
23-05-2007, 17:48
The call came back at 5:30pm from the manager (had missed a call earlier) I have had dealing with before, he says I can have a Moto SB 5101E within 1 week and just to use the Jiffybag for sending back my old modem to send back complete new modem package, I insisted he charge my account next month with a £25 charge even though its a self install, he was reluctant but gave in and I really hope he does go ahead and charge me.

Im very happy now and I dont care if anyone disagrees with my stance. :D

Bill C
23-05-2007, 18:13

Can you point me to the email, Order or demand from any of my managers or customers on here who have said i am not allowed on here. Your the one full of ****.

If you don't want us on here make a formal request to the admins here and see what they have to say about it. If they don't want us here then fine, However i think you are going to be very very disappointed. BTW the report post feature is at your disposal

Note i am NTL:Telewest ?

helmutcheese
23-05-2007, 18:17
I said TW-BY cant you read, I never said currently on VM, so your the one full of it.

I cant go back in time to when it was BY and call them up can I, I can only go by what I was told on the phone after I called up because the upstream channel I was on was choked with users.

I dont need prove sqwat to you.

Bill C
23-05-2007, 18:21
I said TW-BY cant you read, I never said currently on VM, so your the one full of it.

I cant go back in time to when it was By and call them up can I, I can opnly go by what I was told on the phone after I called up because the upstream channel I was on was choked with users.

I dont need prove sqwat to you.

I have posted on this forum for years. I have never been told not to post on here in all the time i worked for Nynex, C&W, NTL and now NTL:TELEWEST Business. Again you are full of it and just want to knock anyone on here who works for the CC.

helmutcheese
23-05-2007, 18:25
Bullsh1t, I was told on the phone they should not be here and the Mod of this site clarified it last week in my posting but added that VM have a different stance on it.

Your paranoid end of story unless you are one of the staff who came here and told others to change modems channel to 2 and cause issues for users, if now I aint calling you a idiot or any other staff who did not do this the tech at uddingston ssaid the channel was totally saturated and all other channels were less occupied. (1 to 6 AFAIK), Im now on 1 after 5-6years on 2.

Bill C
23-05-2007, 18:32
Bullsh1t, I was told on the phone they should not be here and the Mod of this site clarified it last week in my posting but added that VM have a different stance on it.

Your paranoid end of story unless you are one of the staff who came here and told others to change modems channel to 2 and cause issues for users, if now I aint calling you a idiot or any other staff who did not do this.

On the NTL side we have NEVER told customers to change upstream channels FACT.

helmutcheese
23-05-2007, 18:35
Good but this was staff on here I guess at home not at work and it was TW-BY network, I was left with barely any bandwidth to load webpages before that call to CS, I was unware before these posts that the channels could be changed at the user end as the network is meant to auto load balance the users between the channels, I let the tech change me to a channel of his choice as he could see which was most free from users. :)

Bill C
23-05-2007, 18:41
I let the tech change me to a channel of his choice as he could see which was most free from users. :)
That was the procedure that had to be carried out as the tech on the line could check upstream utilisation before moving you. It also allowed for record keeping should the customer still have problems after.

helmutcheese
23-05-2007, 18:44
So do you agree that a TW-BY staff member on his own time coming onto forums and advising users to change the modems upstream channel to CH2 and giving very detailed info on how to do it on Moto modems was a bad call ?, do you accept I was told by a manager on the phone before transfering to 2nd line tech that the staff member if identified would lose his job same as any other TW-BY staff members posting here (yes I know very hard to catch them and prove).

nfs6600
23-05-2007, 19:42
So do you agree that a TW-BY staff member on his own time coming onto forums and advising users to change the modems upstream channel to CH2 and giving very detailed info on how to do it on Moto modems was a bad call ?, do you accept I was told by a manager on the phone before transfering to 2nd line tech that the staff member if identified would lose his job same as any other TW-BY staff members posting here (yes I know very hard to catch them and prove).

Thus far you have shown us no proof of this. Direct us to a post, please? I (maybe we) don't accept that you were informed of this as you have no prooof off this. What staff do outside of work has nothing to do with the company as I informed you in an earlier post. Unless of course it's company sensitive information.

So please just drop it, unless you can provide us with some proof

Mods, can you also confirn ref post #27 regarding a mod on this site clarified this also??

helmutcheese
23-05-2007, 19:47
Who the hell are you?, use the search to find the Mods reply to my post, I aint got many to look through, and I cant prove a phonecall made year or so ago.

Bill C
23-05-2007, 19:50
Thus far you have shown us no proof of this. Direct us to a post, please? I (maybe we) don't accept that you were informed of this as you have no prooof off this. What staff do outside of work has nothing to do with the company as I informed you in an earlier post. Unless of course it's company sensitive information.

So please just drop it, unless you can provide us with some proof

Mods, can you also confirn ref post #27 regarding a mod on this site clarified this also??

I cannot confirm anything for telewest BY however i have NEVER been told not to post on this forum by any manager for NYNEX NTL C&W VIRGIN or NTL:TELEWEST business. The only people that have wanted staff not to post on here and on .COM were forum members with a axe to grind.

If there was a post on this forum telling someone to change channels then it will still be here. a search should find it.

r00t
23-05-2007, 19:51

And this wouldn't matter any more as I'm sure Bill C knows, this used to work but now changing the upstream channel in a modem will do absolutely nothing
the upstream channel is dictated on and by the uBR. The only (on the fly) changes to upstream channel that can be made is made by a 2nd line advisor.
[off topic]
**Waves to cybernetic_tiger :)
[/off topic]

r00t:edit
If I'm breaching the cable forum.co.uk terms and conditions, then one of the staff can and will remove my posting rights. Until such time I will continue to post and on occasion help a member of this forum, thus lowering the calls into the center.

helmutcheese
23-05-2007, 19:54
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33614293-virginmedia-cowboys-and-help-badly-needed.html

2 mods in there agreeing NTL may have banned staff (notice may but I was talking of TW-BY only).

None of your comments take away the fact at the issue I was getting at caused issues of users, search for threads with modem upstream channel if you are that interested, its here or in DigitalSpy or both as far as I can remember.

And changing the upstream channel did work back then and probably still does on BY network and I believe the networks are still seperate for now.

Bill C
23-05-2007, 19:56

sorry but one member of this forum used my replies out of context "not saying you will do this" therefor i don't reply to those type of questions. When certain members are more civilised "again not talking about you here" i might start to post information again but until then sorry no comment.

nfs6600
23-05-2007, 19:56
Who the hell are you?, use the search to find the Mods reply to my post, I aint got many to look through, and I cant prove a phonecall made year or so ago.

I'm nfs660 yourself? I'm not saying that you have to prove it, but if you want anyone to take what you say seriously then you need to provide us with the post that gives us the proof, not the other way around my friend

EDIT:

Just seen your above post, sorry was watching the Liverpool game (which they will get slaughtered in I feel :( ) They never banned staff, they discouraged it...

Bill C
23-05-2007, 19:58
And changing the upstream channel did work back then and probably still does on BY network and I believe the networks are still seperate for now.

Correct

nfs6600
23-05-2007, 20:23
r00t:edit
If I'm breaching the cable forum.co.uk terms and conditions, then one of the staff can and will remove my posting rights. Until such time I will continue to post and on occasion help a member of this forum, thus lowering the calls into the center.

:clap:

I personally believe that, without the help from VM staff, this site would not be as popular. It's because of the VM staff that problems are resolved.

Derek
23-05-2007, 20:23
Right thats enough bickering. Any more abuse will result in further action being taken.

Paul
23-05-2007, 21:17
You are not supposed to be on here esp talking about work, you risk your jobThat statement is nonsense.

From reading your posts it seems to me you have some sort of axe to grind, I don't know why, nor do I care - but I strongly suggest you think about grinding it elsewhere, before the patience of the team runs out - because at the moment you are attracting our attention for all the wrong reasons.

helmutcheese
23-05-2007, 22:19
Does it really take 2 to tell me. do whatever you like, I dont give 2 hoots.

nfs6600
23-05-2007, 22:31
Does it really take 2 to tell me. do whatever you like, I dont give 2 hoots.

Helmut mate, he was only giving you some advice which should be taken strongly. From the posts I've searched on you, you seem to have had a bad experience with VM. But you also appear to have turned this bad experience into a personal war on VM. Just my opinion mate. Try to cut down the attacks on staff of VM. I've only seen reference to one who you say gave you bad advice, but at the same with most companies in its staff, insult one and you insult all of them. And they are sure to come out and defend the company that they work for - that includes the staff they work with, whether be directly or indirectly

Cheers

cybernetic_tiger
24-05-2007, 00:15
IMO what people (employees or not) do in their own time is completely up to them and has absolutly nothing to do with VM. If however they give away company secrets that contravene the terms of employment then the company can take action.

More to the point I believe that VM should encourage staff to learn and interact further with consumers to drive the business forward. Letting a team member see what affect these issues cause the people they are trying to help really aids in their understanding of the issues consumers face.

Just my 10p's worth...