PDA

View Full Version : Telephone Preference Service!

dcclanuk
22-05-2007, 19:01
Ok guys, I registered with the TPS, and today, after over a year of signing up with them, I get a sales call from:

COMPANY: ONE MOBILE VILLAGE
PHONE NUMBER: 0120135738356

After talking to the operator, it took a couple of minutes for the operator to understand what company she was from, at one point ORANGE were an AGENT, but then someone prompting her to say ORANGE is a network:shocked:. I just wanted to find out if this was a sales call or not!

Then I was put through to the "supervisor", and I asked him if he had heard of the TELEPHONE PREFERENCE SERVICE. He laughed and said, OFCOURSE, everyone has! Then I said so why did you call me? He said because I was on the database. I asked WHICH DATABASE:confused:. "International Database" was the reply. I was like wtf is that? How did you obtain my phone number? You're mum asked us to call you. Yes she did, that's because you called her while I was out, and she didnt understand you. I told him that I am going to complain since I am reg. with the TPS. He said what is your reference no. Here I dont know if you do have one, but I said YOU DONT NEED A REFERENCE no! He asked WHEN I reg. with the TPS, OVER A FRIGGING YEAR AGO!!!

I was about to tell him if he had seen that prog on TV about people buying databases illegally, and contacting people, but he was adamant on wishing me a good day and good bye.... so it ended... I had a lot of time on my hand today since my exams finished yday, so I really wanted to sort him out!!! Is there anyway I can complain about this company??? Googling the company name gives a lot of searches about people complaining about the CASH BACK policies of this company etc:dunce:

Paul K
22-05-2007, 19:10
Put a complaint in. You do not get a reference number when you register with TPS etc as far as I know, the guy is just trying to put you off complaining.
http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/cgi-bin/tps_complaints.pl

joglynne
22-05-2007, 19:14
Tcall the TPS and get a complaint form.

If this company are doing it to you they will be doing it to others. You will be able to fill in most of the form. The fact that you can provide a phone number will help the TPS identify the firm in question.

If others do the same the TPS will be more able to take action.

maths15
22-05-2007, 19:50
O... I had a lot of time on my hand today

Never! ;)

nffc
22-05-2007, 23:40
http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/cgi-bin/tps_complaints.pl

Amazing what you need to complain...

vbnmu
23-05-2007, 00:23
Ummm...i dnt wanna crash the party but i believe i read somewhere that u have to re-register with the TPS after a year! I might be wrong though.

nffc
23-05-2007, 00:47
Ummm...i dnt wanna crash the party but i believe i read somewhere that u have to re-register with the TPS after a year! I might be wrong though.
not if it's a residential line.

joglynne
23-05-2007, 01:01

That's what the last telesales /double glazing firm that phoned tried to tell me. Pointed out to him that if he was correct he wouldn't mind giving me all his firms details. He put the phone down on me...cheek.

As they had given the name of the firm they were representing I phoned the TPS, confirmed that re-registration isn't needed and they sent me a report form to fill in.

With the phone number and main firms name they said they would be able to trace the telesales firm being used.;)

vbnmu
23-05-2007, 01:23
My mistake!
What does happen to these companies though? what sort of fines do they get? Does the complaint really bring some result?

joglynne
23-05-2007, 01:56
My mistake!
What does happen to these companies though? what sort of fines do they get? Does the complaint really bring some result?

Now this is down right spookey. Thought I would do some quick digging to try to answer your post and the first item I found lists 'Staybrite Windows Ltd' the firm that I, and obviously many others, reported.

http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/pressreleases/2006/en_6_dec_06.pdf
http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/library/privacy_and_electronic/notices/staybrite_final.pdf
Am going to dig deeper to see if any firms have been actually prosecuted. I seem to remember a figure of £2,000.00 but don't know in what context. Ohhhh I hate unaswered questions.:mad:

vbnmu
23-05-2007, 12:08
Thank you Joglynne. I shall try to find some answers as well.

nffc
23-05-2007, 13:53
I don't think they act on individual complaints, more on the basis that if a company is consistently flouting the TPS-related legislation then they will fine them.

The ICO don't really do that much per complaint.

joglynne
23-05-2007, 17:23
I don't think they act on individual complaints, more on the basis that if a company is consistently flouting the TPS-related legislation then they will fine them.

The ICO don't really do that much per complaint.

The ICO use the complaints sent to the TPS as part of their evidence gathering process.

I have spent some time trying to find any reports of firms being prosecuted or fined as a result of flouting TPS rules and have only been able to find warnings such as those in my last post. I would be interested if anyone knows of any action having been taken above the warning level.

vbnmu
23-05-2007, 17:39
The ICO use the complaints sent to the TPS as part of their evidence gathering process.

I have spent some time trying to find any reports of firms being prosecuted or fined as a result of flouting TPS rules and have only been able to find warnings such as those in my last post. I would be interested if anyone knows of any action having been taken above the warning level.

In all fairness, even the warnings seem enough of a deterrent but for a few!

joglynne
23-05-2007, 17:43
In all fairness, even the warnings seem enough of a deterrent but for a few!

That was my impression after trawling the net. TPS legislation must have made a vast difference to the way firms get new leads. Wish I knew the numbers of private people who have registered.

nffc
24-05-2007, 00:20

But that's precisely it. The TPS is completely toothless and has no powers - they merely administer the register of people who don't wish to receive unsolicited sales calls. Any complaint raised through TPS isn't dealt with through TPS, they pass them on to ICO, who don't act on a "per complaint" basis, merely as a talking shop for collecting evidence and nothing more, in the vast majority of cases.

So companies just don't get fined, which is why so many believe, and rightly so, that they can call TPS protected numbers and will get away with it, because the law isn't enforced properly.

Unless a firm consistently, frequently and grievously flaunts the TPS regulations, then they will get away with it.

And of course, as I said, some firms can still legally call TPS protected numbers, so it's not a "i don't want any calls" service, it's an "i don't want sales calls from companies i have no prior dealings with" service. :)

vbnmu
24-05-2007, 00:23
That was my impression after trawling the net. TPS legislation must have made a vast difference to the way firms get new leads. Wish I knew the numbers of private people who have registered.
Got somebody calling at home today. some 'A+' company calling about a survey. I asked where they got my number from and she said sth like 'we might actually have called the wrong number'.
And i went 'am registered with the tps, so can you make sure it never happens again plz'.
Silly cow hung up instantly! Got their number but am not gonna worry about it. Doesn't happen to me often these days-The TPS made a big difference.

joglynne
24-05-2007, 00:55
Got somebody calling at home today. some 'A+' company calling about a survey. I asked where they got my number from and she said sth like 'we might actually have called the wrong number'.
And i went 'am registered with the tps, so can you make sure it never happens again plz'.
Silly cow hung up instantly! Got their number but am not gonna worry about it. Doesn't happen to me often these days-The TPS made a big difference.

Yes. Registering has made a big difference. Registered my mobile and haven't had a direct call in ages, was getting calls more and more frequently before I registered.

Must get around to stopping junk mail. :D

nffc
24-05-2007, 01:49
but if that was a market research survey, not a "survey" where they end up selling you something, they can still call TPS numbers.

vbnmu
24-05-2007, 10:40
but if that was a market research survey, not a "survey" where they end up selling you something, they can still call TPS numbers.

I suppose so; But it worked when i mentioned the TPS! So thats that! It leaves a very bad taste when somebody calls on my home phn-feels like an intrusion!
Regarding junk mail. try this website: http://mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/

joglynne
24-05-2007, 14:22
Thanks vbnmu :tu:

vbnmu
26-05-2007, 00:23
No problem!

rexie
26-05-2007, 10:52
http://howtoprankatelemarketer.ytmnd.com

Try this one next time. It is so funny.

Just follow the links and turn up the volume!