PDA

View Full Version : Switching from Open University to other University

Raistlin
22-05-2007, 14:36
Afternoon all :)

I've been doing an OU degree for a couple of years now (a BSc(Hons) Computing with Business) and have enjoyed it immensely.

My employers have told me that they would be happy for me to change and do the degree through a different University on a part-time basis.

I think that doing the course (or an equivalent) through a 'proper' University would focus my mind more, and help me feel more at one (yes, I know :dozey:) with my education.

Has anybody had any experience in changing from OU to a different University, or does anybody know how this might work in practice (credit for previous OU modules etc)?

Also, if anybody has any good recommendations for Universities in East Anglia/Cambridge (or within striking/walking/tubing distance of King's Cross) that do IT related degrees then I would be grateful for that info too.

Thanks.

homealone
22-05-2007, 18:44
Shaun might know something about this, I believe he has done an OU course?

dcclanuk
22-05-2007, 19:04
Has anybody had any experience in changing from OU to a different University, or does anybody know how this might work in practice (credit for previous OU modules etc)?

Also, if anybody has any good recommendations for Universities in East Anglia/Cambridge (or within striking/walking/tubing distance of King's Cross) that do IT related degrees then I would be grateful for that info too.

1. Yes, some/all modules are transferrable and you are still credited for them, but this depends on the university.

2. List the uni's you are looking at, and if I can recommend you anything I will try:D

Raistlin
22-05-2007, 19:51
1. Yes, some/all modules are transferrable and you are still credited for them, but this depends on the university.

2. List the uni's you are looking at, and if I can recommend you anything I will try:D

Excellent, thanks.

I'm going to take a look at some Uni's online tomorrow - the main problem is that I just don't know where to start :)

dcclanuk
22-05-2007, 22:11
Excellent, thanks.

I'm going to take a look at some Uni's online tomorrow - the main problem is that I just don't know where to start :)

I dont know for sure in your case, but UCAS www.ucas.com should be a good start:) [hopefully]

http://www.ucas.com/search/index08.html to be precise:)

Also, never think you are not going to fit into uni coz ur too old. I know people that have started the course that are 22/26/30+! I feel like the one that is one of the odd ones out since most people are quite a bit older than me, even tho i went to uni straight after A levels!:shocked:

I got mates that are from all over the world, and all ages!!! Oldest being 26:) People from Japan, China, Sri Lanka, Spain, France, Belgium, Lithuania, Malaysia... of the list goes on:D Apparently there are people from 30 different countries on my course ALONE! Also, speaking english means u are in the minority lol....... apart from the lecturer, 55+% are all speaking chinese lol................

To prepare u for uni... BBC means British Born Chinese lol.....

Raistlin
23-05-2007, 06:37
I dont know for sure in your case, but UCAS www.ucas.com (http://www.ucas.com) should be a good start:) [hopefully]

http://www.ucas.com/search/index08.html to be precise:)

Also, never think you are not going to fit into uni coz ur too old. I know people that have started the course that are 22/26/30+! I feel like the one that is one of the odd ones out since most people are quite a bit older than me, even tho i went to uni straight after A levels!:shocked:

I got mates that are from all over the world, and all ages!!! Oldest being 26:) People from Japan, China, Sri Lanka, Spain, France, Belgium, Lithuania, Malaysia... of the list goes on:D Apparently there are people from 30 different countries on my course ALONE! Also, speaking english means u are in the minority lol....... apart from the lecturer, 55+% are all speaking chinese lol................

To prepare u for uni... BBC means British Born Chinese lol.....

Thanks for all of that, I'll let you know how I get on.....but, wait a minute, what's this.....?

[...]never think you are not going to fit into uni coz ur too old[...]

:mad::disturbd::disturbd::Yikes::eek::bigcry:

Who told you I was nearly 30? Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!

dcclanuk
23-05-2007, 10:37
Thanks for all of that, I'll let you know how I get on.....but, wait a minute, what's this.....?

:mad::disturbd::disturbd::Yikes::eek::bigcry:

Who told you I was nearly 30? Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh!

It says Age: 29 :dozey:

Raistlin
23-05-2007, 13:04
It says Age: 29 :dozey:

I know, it was an attempt at mock shock, surprise, gentle lead ins to a mid-life crisis ;)

Shaun
23-05-2007, 14:01
Good advice dcclanuk, also give student support a call at the OU.
They will be able to point you in the right direction and send you all the info you need to give to your new uni. I think they even produce a booklet on how to swap but I may be mistaken*.

I'm sure it won't apply to computing but I know some university's don't allow you to move credit for some modules as their content doesn't overlap. For example De Montfort don't allow most people to migrate nursing module credits to them as the contents doesn't overlap. Saying that, the admissions tutor at your chosen uni will be able to advise you once you've picked one.

Good luck :tu:

*I'm sure I read it at a summer school but it may have been else where. :)

Raistlin
23-05-2007, 14:03
Thanks Shaun, appreciate the help :)

Damien
24-05-2007, 13:09
Can OU credits be carryed over to a physical UCAS Uni? Its not the same system is it?

Shaun
24-05-2007, 13:30
It is. :) As long as the modules you've studied overlap with the modules you want them to cover.

For example S205 at the OU is a level 2 chemistry module. As long as the syllabus for this module covers the core concepts of the physical university module then they should allow you to move the points over. :)

Info on moving to the OU is here:

http://www3.open.ac.uk/credit-transfer/index.shtm

I'm sure if you follow the links there will be info on moving credit away from the OU too. :)