PDA

View Full Version : NTL Modem Keeps Disconnecting?

paragon
22-05-2007, 11:56
Hello All,

I have been with NTL for approx 7 years now.

For the last few months (8) my ntl modem disconnects all lights that should be on the modem are on correctly and occasionaly I see an attempt to transmit.

The only way I have found to cure the issue albeit temporarily is by disconnecting the power lead, waiting a few seconds then plugging it in, waiting for the modem to connect then the downloads continue. This is a 20 - 30 sec annoying process. It happens when downloading and hitting anywhere between 50m - 350m (Ie it's random).

I contacted crap tech support over 10 times with the only effect being that of getting wound up by some Muppet with NO idea on how to tie there shoe laces.

I come from a tech background Solaris admin so have an idea when I am been led up the garden path from a tech perspective..... ;-)

The same issue happens when I have the modem connected directly to the PC and not via a router. (tech supports first question)

This has become even more of an issue since NTL - Virgin introduced packet shaping.
I am on 20M bandwidth I did not have to wait around to long disconnect / reconnect the modem manualy to download what I needed but now with packet shaping it a complete nightmare.

Does anyone have any ideas as I am at the end of my fr1gging rope!

Thanks
SRG

Acathla
22-05-2007, 12:36
What modem you got?

Same thing happened to me and it was simply end of life for the modem.

Got a new one fitted - problem solved!

paragon
22-05-2007, 12:50
Thanks for the reply ....

Not sure of the make as I am not at home right now but ....

Its silver with usb / ethernet connector / cable connector on rear.

I connected to it last night via http://192.168.100.1 with login / password ROOT / ROOT
if that helps.

Regards
SRG

paragon
22-05-2007, 21:02
The modem I have reads ntl:home 120 is this out dated?
It keeps hanging as per my original post.

SRG

Halcyon
22-05-2007, 21:08
Some of these modems have had issues with handling such speeds.
For 20Mb, I would definately phone up and ask for a replacement modem that is more capable of working with your new speeds.
A lot of people changed modem just for the 10Mb speeds so phone up virginMedia as the modem you have is robably the NTL 100 or 120 and should be replaced for you.

looselipsuk
19-06-2007, 21:17
Bumping this thread as I am having exactly the same problems that paragon had.
Have an NTL200 Ambit modem that occasionally drops connection but with all the correct lights still showing.
All signal levels show correct in the Cable Modem Configuration page. Have run ipconfig and ipconfig /all and PC still sees the modem correctly. Have even been given a new ethernet cable to try by the last engineer, who thought he was coming to look at a digital set top box, although booked by Broadband Support.
Have rung when connection has failed and Tech Support admit they cannot see the modem. They try to 'talk' to it from their end and fail. It then always ends with them telling me to re-boot the modem. As soon as I do this it all re-connects. Have already explained this point at the beginning of the conversation.
Once re-booted and connected they say that all is fine now and no problems. I mention this keeps happening and all they ever say is 'Well it is working now so there is nothing else we can do'.
If I had any hair left I would have pulled it all out by now.
Has anybody got any ideas that may help to get this problem resolved?

looselipsuk
20-06-2007, 17:33
Any chance somebody popping by with an idea on my problem message above?

Nedkelly
20-06-2007, 17:37
It could be the modem failing or if the lights are on but no connection it could be the power supply i have seen it before all the lights are on but no internet change power supply it came back to life :)

looselipsuk
20-06-2007, 17:41
It could be the modem failing or if the lights are on but no connection it could be the power supply i have seen it before all the lights are on but no internet change power supply it came back to life :)

Thank you and ideas noted.
Today, so far, all is working as it should with no disconnections. Seems totally random when it will do it and only while maintaining a continuous download like Torrent.

Nedkelly
20-06-2007, 17:50
Yes that normally does it normal surfing no prob until you make the modem work .I would call and when the tech come i would get him to chancge the modem and the power supply just incase :)

looselipsuk
20-06-2007, 17:57
Now that is where my problem starts. I ring while it is not working and they tell me to re-boot the modem. As soon as I do that internet connection is restored and they are refusing to do anything else. Head and brick wall comes to mind as I keep telling them this.

englishpaul
20-06-2007, 20:13
I undertsand your pain.

Ring them again and if they still maintain that there is nothing wrong insist on speaking to someone higher, supervisor/manager. Try to keep calm but firm and you should be fine.

looselipsuk
20-06-2007, 21:15
I undertsand your pain.

Ring them again and if they still maintain that there is nothing wrong insist on speaking to someone higher, supervisor/manager. Try to keep calm but firm and you should be fine.

Thank you. Next time it happens will give it a try. Been trundling along fine all day, so far.

c@tbyte
22-06-2007, 13:33
1. Unplug your modem
2. Ring them.
3. When asked to re-boot modem, do nothing.
4. Make arrangements for engineer to visit.

;)

BossyBoobs
22-06-2007, 15:33
1. Unplug your modem
2. Ring them.
3. When asked to re-boot modem, do nothing.
4. Make arrangements for engineer to visit.

;)

we can and do check if the modem is connected lol, but u could say that no its not working, and u can demand an engineer if ur willing to pay a £25 charge if there is nothing wrong, but the tech that comes round will more than likely replace it as its been said ur modem wasnt built in mind that it wold be handling 20MB speeds. just put it over the phone like "Nothing personal, but I want an engineer as soon as im not taking no for an answer and im not getting off the phone untill i get one, and ill even pay the £25 charge if theres nothing wrong" theyre not allowed to hang up, so theyll give in :)

looselipsuk
22-06-2007, 17:05
Thanks guys for all the help. Pesky thing is still working at the moment, but will certainly impliment this when it goes offline again.
I reckon when my area is upgraded by the end of this month it will probably be the death nell for it.