PDA

View Full Version : New V+ install

Anglo
21-05-2007, 13:16
Hi
Having new V+ install tommorrow between 12 to 6pm. Also moving Samsung STB to other downstairs room. I want the cable routed outside to the new room, whats the ruling on this generally?

Anglo

joglynne
21-05-2007, 16:39
From what I've read on various threads previously, as long as they don't need to use a high ladder or go through a ceiling you can have it moved to most anywhere. My cable was taken from the outside box on the front of the house, around the outside of the house and in through a side wall.

Hope the install goes well, let us know how you go on:)

Jo

Hugh
21-05-2007, 16:43
I would ring them up and get confirmation that they will do it on the day (get the name of the person confirming it).

When I got my V+ box installed, they had to come back another day to move/install the original Sammy STB - wasn't a problem, just not what I was expecting.

Nedkelly
21-05-2007, 17:01
Speak to the installer most would rather run the cable outside .Make sure theres nothing in the way make it esay for them they like that :)

joglynne
21-05-2007, 17:15
I also found that a cup of tea and a chocolate biscuit was well recieved:D

Hugh
21-05-2007, 17:20
I also found that a cup of tea and a chocolate biscuit was well recieved:D

What - they bring a flask and a box of biccies for the customer?

Top service! :D

joglynne
21-05-2007, 17:31
:LOL:

on in an hour!
21-05-2007, 20:29
What - they bring a flask and a box of biccies for the customer?

Top service! :D
:LOL: yes m8,tea and bickkys,but no stand alone cable modem,no ladders,no clips,no common sense,no pics after theyve left..he he.

wilkie2
21-05-2007, 22:23
Hi
Having new V+ install tommorrow between 12 to 6pm. Also moving Samsung STB to other downstairs room. I want the cable routed outside to the new room, whats the ruling on this generally?

Anglo

we are having ours fitted tomorrow too,hope it goes well:(

Stupidboy
21-05-2007, 23:04
Similar story, our Samsung is being swapped for a SACM and a V+ box on Friday (VIP package), I'd like the Samsung in the bedroom upstairs but they'll need to go up a ladder and drill a hole into the bedroom - is this likely to happen? No-one in any of the departments I spoke to could give me an answer, one person even said they "don't run cables outside now because of health and safety, they'll run it up the inside of the house" !!!

I am fully expecting to end up with no internet or tv pictures for the bank holiday weekend!

joglynne
22-05-2007, 08:04
Similar story, our Samsung is being swapped for a SACM and a V+ box on Friday (VIP package), I'd like the Samsung in the bedroom upstairs but they'll need to go up a ladder and drill a hole into the bedroom - is this likely to happen? No-one in any of the departments I spoke to could give me an answer, one person even said they "don't run cables outside now because of health and safety, they'll run it up the inside of the house" !!!

I can't see that you should have a problem.

I am fully expecting to end up with no internet or tv pictures for the bank holiday weekend!

Friends had V+ installed last Friday and their Samsung was relocated to an upstairs bedroom. Fitter automatically took cable up the outside of the house. I think the only problem you would have is if there was an obstacle on the outside of your house that couldn't be bypassed or if higher than normal ladders were required(middle of terrace + back bedroom possibly an example, or installation on 3rd floor)

Think positive :D and don't forget the tea and biscuits:D

Stupidboy
22-05-2007, 10:39
Friends had V+ installed last Friday and their Samsung was relocated to an upstairs bedroom. Fitter automatically took cable up the outside of the house. I think the only problem you would have is if there was an obstacle on the outside of your house that couldn't be bypassed or if higher than normal ladders were required(middle of terrace + back bedroom possibly an example, or installation on 3rd floor)

Think positive :D and don't forget the tea and biscuits:D

I'm hoping it'll be like this! The house is a standard 30s semi.

I've got the usual worries though eg brick dust, how careful they are about where they drill, will they fit a proper termination box or will it just be the cable through a plastic grommet thing, etc.

joglynne
22-05-2007, 14:06
Won't be seeing friends till the weekend so can't check out how theirs looks, but with our original bedroom install (done a couple of years ago) it was just the cable that was passed through the wall with a small box on the inside wall out of which came the TV cable.

Can't say much about the brick dust, guess that will depend on how tidy the installer is, you could always put down a dust cover or some news paper:D

wilkie2
22-05-2007, 14:14
well,ours was fitted early this afternoon and an excellent job it was too.#

can not fault the techs who did it at all,just having a play with the v+ box now

joglynne
22-05-2007, 14:18
Great news wilkie hope everything is working. Have fun.

Jo

Stupidboy
22-05-2007, 15:17
Won't be seeing friends till the weekend so can't check out how theirs looks, but with our original bedroom install (done a couple of years ago) it was just the cable that was passed through the wall with a small box on the inside wall out of which came the TV cable.

That's what I'd like, looks much tidier than a cable coming in through the wall, which was how Nynex/C&W did my old flat back in 97/98 (I forget when it was).

Anyone know if the installers in the Manchester area are ntl/Virgin employees or contractors who just want to get the job done as quick as poss? Not that it should matter, if the contractors are good, but I'm curious.

joglynne
22-05-2007, 15:19
The installer who came to my friends in M41 was a contractor.

Anglo
22-05-2007, 20:57
Report Back.

Arrived at 2.10 discussed where I wanted the lead, noticed the box on the outside was pretty ropey and told me he would fit a new one. :) Unpacked the V+ cabled up (HDMI lead supplied) :D and connected and switched on "let it configure while I get on with the lead for the old box in the other room". He said, clever I thought. :D Let him get on, he asked me if I had newspaper or dustsheet to prevent mess whilst drilling :angel:
The wiring was beautifully done, clipped to the outside wall, perfectly straight and unobtrusive. Came inside set up the V+ remote to adjust the television sound and went through the use of the remote expalining all the controls. Waited 15 mins for the V+ signal to come through made sure everything was ok and left me with the V+ booklet. I cannot fault this guy, nothing I repeat nothing to complain about 100% perfect install and the box is working like a dream. Just over an hour total and the guy was respectful, helpful and skilled in everything he did.
WOW

Cheers
Anglo

Nedkelly
22-05-2007, 21:17
Nice to hear a happy ending :) All installs are done by contractors now :)

NTLVictim
22-05-2007, 22:06
Nice to hear a happy ending :) All installs are done by contractors now :)

Who were they done by before?

joglynne
22-05-2007, 23:51
Report Back.

Arrived at 2.10 discussed where I wanted the lead, noticed the box on the outside was pretty ropey and told me he would fit a new one. :) Unpacked the V+ cabled up (HDMI lead supplied) :D and connected and switched on "let it configure while I get on with the lead for the old box in the other room". He said, clever I thought. :D Let him get on, he asked me if I had newspaper or dustsheet to prevent mess whilst drilling :angel:
The wiring was beautifully done, clipped to the outside wall, perfectly straight and unobtrusive. Came inside set up the V+ remote to adjust the television sound and went through the use of the remote expalining all the controls. Waited 15 mins for the V+ signal to come through made sure everything was ok and left me with the V+ booklet. I cannot fault this guy, nothing I repeat nothing to complain about 100% perfect install and the box is working like a dream. Just over an hour total and the guy was respectful, helpful and skilled in everything he did.
WOW

Cheers
Anglo

Glad the install went well. Now you can start to play with the V+ :D

One more to go. You're next S.boy( sorry but I just can't call you by your full title it feels weird calling someone stupid:D)

Jo

Stupidboy
25-05-2007, 14:27
Well.. it all seems to have worked (so far). Two installers turned up at about 8am, one took the Samsung box upstairs and I helped him move the chest of drawers (good excuse to clean behind it) and he drilled through to outside, fitted a white box inside and ran the cable down the wall to the main outside box. All ok there, have all channels I did before and good signal level. So that's the bedroom.

Meanwhile downstairs the other contractor fitted the V+ box and communicated by email from his laptop, then phone, to whoever, the box was doing various things by itself and seems to have ended up with all the channels I should have. Cable modem fitted too - the contractor told me the ip address for the registration page so I didn't have to use that CD, told me the serial number too, showed me how to use the V+ box then left.

Registration of the modem didn't work at first so had to call Customer services, went to an Indian tech support line and had trouble hearing the woman there (it was going all choppy) but whether she changed a setting or what I don't know, but all of a sudden I was able to register ok (instead of getting 'Verification failed'). And there we have it, I appear to have 10M broadband.

Very friendly chaps (made tea for them!), tidy too. Later on another chap from VM came round claiming to be checking up on a random selection of 10 of today's jobs, he had an ID card, is this normal?? Said he'd come back this afternoon (by that time I had electricians here doing other jobs so the power was off, hence the delay in trying the broadband).

So....fairly happy with that, so far. I must have been first on the list of jobs today! Isn't the V+ box noisy? It has that smell of newly-powered-up technology too. I hope it isn't going to catch fire or something...

joglynne
25-05-2007, 15:27
Sounds like a very good install. :)

Having a system to check on the installation contractors sounds good as well. I presume Virgin must always have had some form of check up procedure in place for sub-contractors it's pretty much standard practice for most firms that use them.

You mention that your V+ is noisy. You may wish to look at these threads:-

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/104/33612572-are-they-noisy.html?highlight=noisy

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/104/33611524-noisy-box.html?highlight=noisy

All you have to weather now is your upgrade to 20M. I keep away from those threads, (the complaints give me a headache :D)

Jo

Stupidboy
25-05-2007, 15:30
I'm not really bothered with going faster and faster, not sure what I'm going to do with 10M as it is!

joglynne
25-05-2007, 15:37
Sorry it's compulsory, You will just have to grin and bare it.:D:D:D

morph178
25-05-2007, 18:11
Later on another chap from VM came round claiming to be checking up on a random selection of 10 of today's jobs, he had an ID card, is this normal??

Yes this is normal, techs are audited on their jobs, usually by an area intallations manager.