PDA

View Full Version : Serial Number

smallethic
20-05-2007, 20:18
As someone who joined with NTL 4 years agao I have always been identified by my Account No and PIN, yet when, after a complete re-install I used the 80.5.178.26 access to re-register my system I was confronted by a demand from Virgin Media for 'the serial number sent with your Welcome pack'. I have never had a serial number, I have never had a Welcome pack from Virgin Media and have no idea what the serial number is.

There doesn't appear to be anywhere on their site that I can find out about it, and of course when I rang Customer Services this evening to ask what its all about I got the message "We are exceptionally busy this evening. You may wish to call back later"!

Can anyone throw some light on this? It appears to be a cockup by Virgin if they have changed my reference bt not told me.

Halcyon
20-05-2007, 20:35
Are you talking about a re-installation of Windows / reformat of your system ?

If this is the case, you do not need to re-register anything.

Just turn off your modem and turn off your PC.
Then boot up the modem and wait for the lights to settle.
Then boot up your PC.
It should work.

smallethic
20-05-2007, 21:41
Thanks, Halcyon. I've discovered that now. How long has that been going on? I don't think one used to get automatic logons like that.

But why does Virgin put up that incomprehensible reinstallation screen, with this guff about serial numbers?

v0id
20-05-2007, 22:35
*shrugs. Must be an ex NTL area thing :/