PDA

View Full Version : No 20meg

Planetgarb
20-05-2007, 02:46
Looking at virgins roll out scedule for the 20 meg upgrade i should have it. I run off the peterborough end of the system which has aparently been upgraded.
I had a new modem about 3 months ago because i upgraded to v+ so thats up to date and have rebooted several times in the last 2 weeks.
Has anyone got any ideas.

Im in th NR31 area

zing_deleted
20-05-2007, 04:06
Do you run through a router? What modem do you have ? type 192.168.100.1 in a browser sn use root as username and password this will get you into the internal modem config pages look to see what its set to.:)

Planetgarb
20-05-2007, 06:50
Im at work at the moment so i will check the modem model when i get home.
I do run through a router .. its a Dlink gamers router which has also been rebooted.
I will get back to you as soon as

---------- Post added at 06:50 ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 ----------

Is this the info thats needed ?

Cable Modem : Euro-DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant
Software Version : 2.94.1010
Hardware Version : 1.19

Paul K
20-05-2007, 07:34
No you need the config page, the model of router is important too as are the downstream and upstream levels. Did you login to the modem or just go to the ip address as given?

zing_deleted
20-05-2007, 07:42
Im at work at the moment so i will check the modem model when i get home.
I do run through a router .. its a Dlink gamers router which has also been rebooted.
I will get back to you as soon as

---------- Post added at 06:50 ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 ----------

Is this the info thats needed ?

Cable Modem : Euro-DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant
Software Version : 2.94.1010
Hardware Version : 1.19

some of the older routers only have Tbase 10 wans and not Tbase100 or gigabite this will equate to you not getting 20 meg throught the router. Do as Paul asks and see what your downsteam is set to if it is 2048000 then it may well be your router

alferret
20-05-2007, 12:33
[butting in]
Sry to butt in, but......
Im just wondering how many of VM's users could be using an older router that does not support higher speeds and therefore they are blaming VM for poor speeds\not being upgraded when its their equipment thats out-dated?
[/butting in]

Paul K
20-05-2007, 12:38
Quite a few which is why we ask what hardware they are running ;)

Planetgarb
20-05-2007, 14:54
looks like its the router the downstream is set to 2048000 so i will have a look at that.

Thanks for all your help
Cable Modem Operation ConfigurationNetwork Access : AllowedMaximum Downstream Data Rate : 20480000Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 768000Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600Maximum Number of CPEs : 1Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

Grimpy
20-05-2007, 15:43
can anyone tell me if a netgear RP614 will handle the new 20mb speed?

homealone
20-05-2007, 15:50
can anyone tell me if a netgear RP614 will handle the new 20mb speed?

says it has a 10/100Mb/s WAN so should be fine :)

helmutcheese
20-05-2007, 15:52
From another user on other forum

" Just a note for 20mbps users - if you have a Router, note that 20mbps is probably the last upgrade you'll be able to take advantage of - because the interface between WAN and LAN parts of your Router may not be able to handle the data.

Some Router's may not even be able to handle 20mbps. You'll need to check the specs of your Router, and this particular tidbit of information isn't always given!

Just because it has a 10/100mbps WAN port and the LAN ports are also rated at 10/100mbps - this doesn't mean that the router can deliver it. Those speeds refer to the actual switch performance and receive performance of the WAN port - not the WAN/LAN interface, which is limited by the Router's processor performance.

So expect to see a bottleneck soon.

To find out if that's the case with your Router you will need to plug the modem directly into a PC and measure the performance in both domains. "

hokkers999
20-05-2007, 16:38
From another user on other forum

" Just a note for 20mbps users - if you have a Router, note that 20mbps is probably the last upgrade you'll be able to take advantage of - because the interface between WAN and LAN parts of your Router may not be able to handle the data.

Some Router's may not even be able to handle 20mbps. You'll need to check the specs of your Router, and this particular tidbit of information isn't always given!

Just because it has a 10/100mbps WAN port and the LAN ports are also rated at 10/100mbps - this doesn't mean that the router can deliver it. Those speeds refer to the actual switch performance and receive performance of the WAN port - not the WAN/LAN interface, which is limited by the Router's processor performance.

So expect to see a bottleneck soon.

To find out if that's the case with your Router you will need to plug the modem directly into a PC and measure the performance in both domains. "

Or toss out those cheap D-Link and similar boxes and put in something like a Linksys (Cisco h/w) instead....

helmutcheese
20-05-2007, 16:41
I only use Linksys ADSL2 Modem/Routers or Linksys Cable Routers for customers but all are G as N still costly and most are not on more then 8meg ADSL or 4-10meg Cable and most dont even use the WIFI side its simply a way to connected 2-3 PC's and no more cost for WIFI versions and gives them us of a Laptop in future.

I think thats why some of our modems need replaced inc the SB4100 even though its spec'd for 38meg DL and 10meg UP, its something to do with QAM or the CPU. sho nows anyhow I hope to get a SB 5101E.