PDA

View Full Version : Sick and Tired of the poor speeds!

myriauk
19-05-2007, 22:48
Tomorrow is going to be a revolution in the customer phoning the support so prepare for me, I'm not going to necessarily be an angry customer, I just want what I pay for which is 10 glorious mb's of Internet access. I don't want to be traffic shaped majority of the time down to well below 1mb.

Paying £37 / month for a service which practically has a 10mb advertisement Unlimited downloads! score! sure the downloading is unlimited because the connection never ceases to exsist but the speeds just go to well complete crap.

Example.
Let's say I obtain some music via msn from a friend who would like me to try some cd's, perhaps I'm listening to podcasts/online radio/tv perhaps I'm catching up on the latest episodes of heroes from NBC.com or perhaps I'm watching some videos on Youtube.. well tonight I click a video on youtube.. allow me to link it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLTcjadSJ_c

It's a music video from a band called Paramore, I thought I'll listen to that song that a friend sent me the link too, but to my suprise Youtube was crawling like a snail it took that video literally about 10-12 minutes to load, stopping every now and again to load a small portion of it.

Why is it, let's say I set my alarm clock for 5-6am I could wake up click that link or any other video on youtube or any other sites, download sites etc.. and it would literally go at 9-10mb Glorious 10mb.

I understand that the service is UPTO 10mb but there is no way in hell that I should be paying £37/month for a service which is throttled more than 75% of the time, to have it throttled down to that of a 1-2mb line.

I don't angrily hate VM but this has gotten to the point where it's causing a lot of trouble, I want to be able to come in from a day's work, either watch some movie trailers, listen to some music, watch some online tv without the need to buffer/download it every god damn few seconds.

This is a speed test that I did just before I started writing this, and bear in mind this is a 10mb connection.

Sat, 19 May 2007 21:46:25 GMT

1st 512K took 3109 ms = 164.7 KB/sec, approx 1357 Kbps, 1.33 Mbps
2nd 512K took 3203 ms = 159.9 KB/sec, approx 1318 Kbps, 1.29 Mbps
3rd 512K took 3438 ms = 148.9 KB/sec, approx 1227 Kbps, 1.2 Mbps
4th 512K took 3203 ms = 159.9 KB/sec, approx 1318 Kbps, 1.29 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 1305 Kbps, 1.28 Mbps

With even that connection videos and anything else just crawls stupidly slow! Should move to Sweden and get 100mb... If only, and there thinking about testing 50mb? lol...

Paul K
19-05-2007, 22:50
Go on then, what operating system, what network hardware/ setup, have you tried a test in safe mode, are you running a firewall?

myriauk
19-05-2007, 22:54
Windows XP SP2, modem connected directly to the PC via Ethernet, also tried it with USB whilst on the phone to support, again also tried it within safemode with networking, tried the modem on another PC again sporting XP SP2.

All drivers, network card drivers etc.. all configured it DOES run at 10mb it's at a certain time it just goes simply to crap

Gareth
19-05-2007, 22:55
Paul, you forgot to ruffle the sheets of paper whilst you find which questions you're supposed to be asking.

mike86
21-05-2007, 13:19
Oh please, are you seriously telling us that you use Youtube as an indicator of speed?

antipotato
21-05-2007, 22:08
Argh. I have the same problem, and have had for some time now: check out my graph. These are over several weeks, you can clearly see a divide. I'm not sure. Also, these are only in the time since Blueyonder became Virgin Media. Before that I never had a single problem. Now, I'm getting not only these incredibly slow speeds frequently, but I'm also getting lagged out of, and disconnected from, online games which is far more frustrating.

http://www.mickeymoose.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/graph.jpg

my internet is meant to be 4Mb.

2||Para
22-05-2007, 00:22
Oh please, are you seriously telling us that you use Youtube as an indicator of speed?

No he is telling you that it takes stupid amounts of time to load the simplest of files from the net.Read the post.

RXP
22-05-2007, 08:16
You tube slows up for me at prime time too. Since I'm on 20mbit the videos should pretty much load completely in a matter of seconds but it crawls along. I'm not sure if this is a Virgin or Youtube problem, seeing as Youtube uses the most bandwidth on the internet.