PDA

View Full Version : University Help

Zee
19-05-2007, 11:21
I've applied for Computer Science course in several uni's, they've all accepted my offer, i called up asked if i'd be able to change the course which im doing.

Now i want to do a course in Computing, which doesn't have programming (like Java etc..) or mathematics (Quantitative methods etc...)

Does anyone know which course at uni would be good for me?

I'm weak at programming and computer maths and dont wish to continue studying it.

BBKing
19-05-2007, 11:23
Um, depends what you want to do. Programming is useful wherever you are, if you want a career in computing, since quite often you can save a lot of time/impress people with a simple script or batch file. On the other hand, I'd be very wary of someone wanting to work in IT who shied like a startled horse whenever programming was mentioned.

Gareth
19-05-2007, 11:26
I graduated in the last century, so I don't think I'm in a position to comment on the suitability of courses being run today.

You really need to be asking the question to your career adviser at your school/college. They will (should :erm:) be aware of the different courses and the different syllabi, etc... and will be much more qualified to answer your queries than a bunch of old has-beens on an internet forum.

This is a major decision which could affect your whole life - don't jump into something without having given it a lot of consideration, and without having asked the right people the right questions.

Good luck :)

Zee
19-05-2007, 11:28
Um, depends what you want to do. Programming is useful wherever you are, if you want a career in computing, since quite often you can save a lot of time/impress people with a simple script or batch file. On the other hand, I'd be very wary of someone wanting to work in IT who shied like a startled horse whenever programming was mentioned.

I've studied computers for a few years, stuff like the hardware and software part and how things work etc...

now only this year have i started doing programming in Java JOptionPane all that crap and i hate it

---------- Post added at 11:28 ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 ----------

I graduated in the last century, so I don't think I'm in a position to comment on the suitability of courses being run today.

You really need to be asking the question to your career adviser at your school/college. They will (should :erm:) be aware of the different courses and the different syllabi, etc... and will be much more qualified to answer your queries than a bunch of old has-beens on an internet forum.

This is a major decision which could affect your whole life - don't jump into something without having given it a lot of consideration, and without having asked the right people the right questions.

Good luck :)

thanks, but they dont know crap lol which is why i came here for help

Gareth
19-05-2007, 11:29
Which part of IT is it that you enjoy? Can you be more specific about the "hardware and software part"?

---------- Post added at 11:29 ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 ----------

thanks, but they dont know crap lol which is why i came here for helpHeh, I guess some things never change then :D

Halcyon
19-05-2007, 11:30
You could do something like "Multimedia design" if you want to do thing's like Flash, Photoshop, Website work, animation, games design, Typography, etc.

A networking course and hardware system design may be more your thing.

Zee
19-05-2007, 11:33
I'm currently doing a coursework at the moment designing a website, i quite enjoy it using Dreamweaver to make it... i also did a coursework about Networking and Communication, it was boring and long but i understood what to do, but with java programming after months of studying it i still dont understand what to do i really hate it and dont wanna do anything like it.

I dont wanna waste a futher 3-4 years of my life doing Java or ending up dropping out after the first year just because of it

Halcyon
19-05-2007, 11:39
But with java programming after months of studying it i still dont understand what to do i really hate it and dont wanna do anything like it.

Believe me, you are not the only one.
I started a Uni course that involved a lot of object technology java modules and I ended up leaving the course as I just fell asleep in all the lectures.
I wanted to do more fun stuff and did a Multimeda Design degree instead.

Zee
19-05-2007, 12:16
Believe me, you are not the only one.
I started a Uni course that involved a lot of object technology java modules and I ended up leaving the course as I just fell asleep in all the lectures.
I wanted to do more fun stuff and did a Multimeda Design degree instead.

So what does it involve? No coding or programming or any of that? designing websites??

Damien
19-05-2007, 12:29
I do the same course! It involves Design and Programming. To be honest, You cant escape basic programming in IT. Even sites require good knowledge of C or C# and some Javascript.

But a list of the things I do:

Flash
Websites (HTML, CSS, Javacript in first year, ASP.Net next year)
Programming (C, Java, C#)
Maya (3D work)
Film making (editing, filming)
Computer Systems (how they work)
How computers read images and change them (all maths, its hell)
Maths
Design (tied into flash and sites)

etc etc

Halcyon
19-05-2007, 12:33
I guess it depends on the course structure depending on the Uni you go to and what they choose as modules.

The only coding I had involved was when you use actionscript in Macromedia Flash and Director.
This is a lot simpler than java programming though.

The course included a lot of different modules including more art based modules such as Typography, Life Drawing, and 2D/3D packaging design, to more computer based interactive design such as producing short animation, sound & video design, and games design concepts and storyboarding.
And not forgetting designing for interactive installations, etc.
And also web design & photography.

I think wherever you go in the job field of I.T. / Computing, there will always be an element of programming as more and more jobs related to multimedia are wanting programming experience such as java, php, sql, etc.
Just have to avoid the jobs for web developper or programmer.

I am more interested in the hands on art side of things so graphic design, producing material for print and adverts, video editing, web / photography editing, etc.

Good luck.

Damien
19-05-2007, 12:38
Halcyon where did you do yours?

To be honest you do need programming unless you want to work with paper based products. Sites you need PHP/Javascript/Asp (maybe). ActionScript is important with flash.

Halcyon
19-05-2007, 12:52
De-Montfort Uni in Leicester.