PDA

View Full Version : Nottingham (ng16) SLOW

jeffcrouch
18-05-2007, 22:40
ok - its the 3rd night in a row now - exactly 4.30pm the bandwidth starts to drop off to about 5mb, then by 9pm its just about 1.5mb.

its currently 2.5mb and increasing again - do we know if virgin are testing traffic shaping in this area?? and i thought i'd have to be on 20mb and downloaded more than my limit.

i m very disappointed as i am a long time NTL/Virgin customer - if it continues then i'll have to get a BT line installed and ADSL...

TraxData
18-05-2007, 22:44
they say traffic shaping wont be implemented in your are till 20mbit rolls out there.

but i know damn well nottingham has been traffic shaped for the last month, my speed right now is atrocious, then spot on midnight it shoots back to 10mbit instantly...

Your not the only one who's lookin at adsl.

jeffcrouch
18-05-2007, 22:47
yeah its a joke really - i thought the virgin brand would help things - it appears not.

hmm - just realised as i'm an orange customer i can get upto 8 mb adsl for an additional £5 per month - looks like a call to BT to install a line methinks.

Paul
18-05-2007, 23:02
yeah its a joke really - i thought the virgin brand would help things - it appears not.Why are you manually routing yourself via a cambridge proxy server ? that isn't going to help.

FYI, I'm in NG16 and my speeds have been ok recently.

Assuming your on Langley Mill for BT, I would get you hopes up too much for better speeds via ADSL either (or Kimberley if you happen to be that way).

alferret
18-05-2007, 23:05
NG18 and speeds are better than usual :cool:

jeffcrouch
18-05-2007, 23:15
Why are you manually routing yourself via a cambridge proxy server ? that isn't going to help.

ah well - thats the 'i didn't know i was' factor....!

anyway - changed it - thanks for the heads up - and still slow btw..

ShellfishUK
19-05-2007, 08:41
Well this is interesting.

I had an upgrade from 4Meg to 10Meg last week, and every night when I got in from work I was only getting 1.5Meg max - prior to this I was getting 4Meg easily to local connections.

I phoned tech support and they got me to run through tests for an hour over the phone before booking out a tech to come and check my connection next tuesday - they never even mentioned any traffic monitoring.

Then I noticed this morning that I am indeed getting 10Meg, so it appears to be ok during the day and dire at night. As the tech is coming out tuesday morning, I assume it will be ok when he comes out, so should I cancel that?

So all in all I upgraded my service from 4-10 Meg and went from 4-1.5 Meg at the times I use it the most! Also, isn't this traffic monitoring only supposed to cut you to 5Meg from 10?

What a mess! Why have I upgraded for less speed?

mark233a
19-05-2007, 09:24
I'm in NG1 and my speeds have improved :) last night around 8pm I was dl at 10meg for the 1st time in weeks. I hope it stays like that!;)

jeffcrouch
19-05-2007, 12:43
hopefully its a glitch in the upgrading - here's hoping.

Efour
19-05-2007, 18:14
its called contention, get used to it until they spend some money on the worse areas of their network

ShellfishUK
19-05-2007, 22:42
its called contention, get used to it until they spend some money on the worse areas of their network

But this doesn't fit my story, because until I upgraded my package to the VIP package, I was an original Diamond Cable customer who got upgraded through NTL from 600K to 1Meg to 2Meg and then to 4Meg.

At any of those points I could always reach my max speed to local connections - never a problem until I upgrade all my packages to the Virgin VIP package. As soon as I did that, my CM started to be slow (1.5 Meg at night) whereas before it was always a constant 4Meg. They have since changed my CM (because it was a surf board that can't do over 4Meg anyway :rolleyes:) and I still get slowed to 1.5Meg, and they are now sending out a tech, because they don't know why - and that was after tech support escalated the problem to managers etc.

Does the right hand really not know what the left is doing here?

ShellfishUK
22-05-2007, 19:04
An update for those interested.

I had a tech come around today, explained the situation and he agreed it seemed like I was being traffic shaped (but too much) after 4. He couldn't do anything (as my lines are all ok - which I knew) but he went of, called someone, came back and said they had reported it and hopefully something would get done about it soon.

I've had 10 meg all night - the first night since my installation, so i'm very pleased.

I'm not sure if anything got fixed for me or whether or not Nottingham in general is up to speed now, so has anyone else in nottingham also had the full speed tonight?

jeffcrouch
23-05-2007, 08:25
yeah its been fine since saturday - back to normal good service that i pay for!

i just wish they would communicate better - its obvious they were tinkering with something, but you just never get to hear about it..