PDA

View Full Version : Still possible to get internet through set top box?

itrends
18-05-2007, 19:35
Hey all.

I wont go into the ins and outs but in short, royal mail delivered my modem to the wrong house and cant get it back. The soonest virgin will send me a new one is the 27th!!!

Anywho, I have the TV installed and there is an ethernet port on the back of the box.

I used to connect through my ntl box many years ago.

I just want to know, is it possible to get broadband through the new virgin set top boxes at all?

If no, then fine, I will have to wait for the new modem.

If yes, how do i go about setting it up? Cross over network cable? Any software from somewhere? Particular ip address etc? I plugged it in but it could not get an IP assigned.

SO, any help very very very much appreciated :)

Thanks in advance all! :)

David

Toto
18-05-2007, 19:37
I believe that they have stopped providing Internet through a set top box.

And welcome to the site. :)

itrends
18-05-2007, 19:40
I believe that they have stopped providing Internet through a set top box.

And welcome to the site. :)

BUgger it!

and thank you :)

Can I get / buy a modem from anywhere else that I can use. I really needed the net by tomorrow latest? Or does it HAVE to be one from virgin?

lightboy
18-05-2007, 19:40
you can still get internet thorugh your box just only 5-6MB max

itrends
18-05-2007, 19:41
you can still get internet thorugh your box just only 5-6MB max

Ah fantastic!

How do I go about setting it up via the set top box? I phoned support but they "dont support" that method anymore. :)

Maggy
18-05-2007, 19:41
I still have a STB for my BB.:tu:

Creative
18-05-2007, 19:45
Hey all.

I wont go into the ins and outs but in short, royal mail delivered my modem to the wrong house and cant get it back. The soonest virgin will send me a new one is the 27th!!!

Anywho, I have the TV installed and there is an ethernet port on the back of the box.

I used to connect through my ntl box many years ago.

I just want to know, is it possible to get broadband through the new virgin set top boxes at all?

If no, then fine, I will have to wait for the new modem.

If yes, how do i go about setting it up? Cross over network cable? Any software from somewhere? Particular ip address etc? I plugged it in but it could not get an IP assigned.

SO, any help very very very much appreciated :)

Thanks in advance all! :)

David

It would only have worked on old CWC/telewest areas. ntl old areas never had broadband via the STB. Unfortunately it only works when enabled. Your account will not have been set up for STB BB so your STB will not give you BB. The connections may well be there but are disabled.

itrends
18-05-2007, 19:47
THank you for the clear answer. I have the old ntl boxes from 3 residents ago, but if the system is disabled then i guess it is a no go :(

And I assume virgin wont be nice and turn it on for me until I get the mode. Hurumph!

So, back to my other question, am I able to purchase a modem from anywhere that will connect to the splitter and can be used as the modem for the service? :)

David

Creative
18-05-2007, 19:50
THank you for the clear answer. I have the old ntl boxes from 3 residents ago, but if the system is disabled then i guess it is a no go :(

And I assume virgin wont be nice and turn it on for me until I get the mode. Hurumph!

So, back to my other question, am I able to purchase a modem from anywhere that will connect to the splitter and can be used as the modem for the service? :)

David

Short answer is no. The Modems are registered with your account. Virgin supply them, you can't buy your own.

joglynne
18-05-2007, 19:51
I am ex ntl and until I got the V+ my broadband was via the Samsung 2100c.

Mr Clean
18-05-2007, 19:53
It would only have worked on old CWC/telewest areas. ntl old areas never had broadband via the STB.

Wrong. I'm ex NTL and used to have BB through the STB.

itrends
18-05-2007, 19:54
As I am a self install I am wondering if I should just ring up and get the broadband activated then give the set top box a shot? Or do i need the modem first because they will want serials etc? :)

Creative
18-05-2007, 19:56
Wrong. I'm ex NTL and used to have BB through the STB.
Wrong, you are historically ex CWC.
There were 23 old ntl regions before ntl acquired the 15 or so CWC headends.

wafer_style
18-05-2007, 19:57
well fellas ... all i can say is that when 20 meg is knocking the door , it's preety foolish to stick to a STB that can only deliver 6 Mb [ max ] doanload speed . I would advise you guys to upgrade your speed by calling up customer care on 0845 454 0000 and ask them for a modem swap .

Creative
18-05-2007, 19:57
As I am a self install I am wondering if I should just ring up and get the broadband activated then give the set top box a shot? Or do i need the modem first because they will want serials etc? :)

They will want serials etc.

Toto
18-05-2007, 19:59
OK, can I clarify something.

There are no NEW installs of Internet through STB, those wanting 10Mb or higher are being swapped to modems that can support that speed. Hope that helps.

itrends
18-05-2007, 20:01
Thanks for all the help and advice folks. Guess I will just have to wait for a modem to finally appear.

fireman328
19-05-2007, 00:05
It would only have worked on old CWC/telewest areas. ntl old areas never had broadband via the STB. Unfortunately it only works when enabled. Your account will not have been set up for STB BB so your STB will not give you BB. The connections may well be there but are disabled.

My BB came from set top box PACE 1000 for over 5 years and I only just left to go on Virgin ADSL due to a move to a non cabled area.

Mal
19-05-2007, 00:10
I am ex ntl and until I got the V+ my broadband was via the Samsung 2100c.You are ex-cable & wireless (well Nynex), not the old ex-ntl, which is what Creative was on about. :)

joglynne
19-05-2007, 00:12
I stand corrected:D

BarFly
19-05-2007, 00:21
ok, the short answer yes you can...
but there can be issues on the account, meaning that by the time someone resolves them & activates the BB, your modem would have arrived by post.

Give customer services a call in the morning & ask them, explain its a temporary measure, they should be able to do it, but ul have to remember to cancel the service when you get the CM up & running, as you will be being billed for both of them ( different billing systems ). Oh & ask them for your PID number

There are no customers offered a STB BB install anymore, as VM are trying phase out STB BB

Hope it helps

Barfly

popper
19-05-2007, 05:28
ok, the short answer yes you can...
but there can be issues on the account, meaning that by the time someone resolves them & activates the BB, your modem would have arrived by post.

Give customer services a call in the morning & ask them, explain its a temporary measure, they should be able to do it, but ul have to remember to cancel the service when you get the CM up & running, as you will be being billed for both of them ( different billing systems ). Oh & ask them for your PID number

There are no customers offered a STB BB install anymore, as VM are trying phase out STB BB

Hope it helps

Barfly

and the crazy thing is if your in the exC&W area and ask them to give you two or more broadband connections on the same bill they refuse.... you can have one stand alone CM and 3 STBs with powered and pluged but unused CMs.

all that extra unused but powered STB-CM thats pluged into the working UBR at the other end and so all they need do is add it into the accounts and activate it, but they wont, madness loosing pure profit like that.

ECW_Original
19-05-2007, 13:14
Recently I had a problem with my cable modem and it would not work, India said it would be a few days, so I asked if I could have the net through the STB until the modem was replaced, I was told to speak to CS, to which I did, and when they finally hit the right box, I had FULL 4mb speeds, no matter what time or if Id downloaded loads, was really impressed with it!

So I hope they can do the same easily enough for you, once activated you will have to register for a new bb account, but CS should provide you with that information!

Oh, and one last thing, once things with your modem are working, dont forget to call up and get the STB internet canceled or you will be charged more! :)

Ben B
19-05-2007, 17:26
BUgger it!

and thank you :)

Can I get / buy a modem from anywhere else that I can use. I really needed the net by tomorrow latest? Or does it HAVE to be one from virgin?

as long as you have your PID number and password to hand you can connect through stb. if you have a samsung you can connect directly with an ethernet cable, if you have a pace you will need a crossover cable as well. just connect lead, reboot stb, open IE enter pid number and password click add computer and enter a name for your computer. shut down pc, reboot box, turn on pc and tada! you will have internet. if you don't know your PID no. and password ring VM customer services