PDA

View Full Version : Sky scraps Sky+ subscription charge

Zee
18-05-2007, 18:10
EXCLUSIVE: Sky has announced on the Digital Spy forums that it will scrap the £10 monthly subscription charge for its Sky+ PVR service from July 1.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/a57991/sky-scraps-sky-subscription-charge.html

Nikesh
18-05-2007, 21:18
Knew it would happen sooner or later...

Tezcatlipoca
18-05-2007, 21:22
About bloody time.

The £10 charge was totally stupid.

I think I will probably now finally upgrade to Sky+ (if I can get round the whole single feed issue (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/92/33607059-still-worth-getting-sky-skyhd-if.html)).

zeus9876
19-05-2007, 08:44
I still dont understand what this means excatly. I have sky+ plus multiroom and sky movies. I pay £46/mo. Does this mean i can get rid of the movies and still save £10/mo ?

LSainsbury
19-05-2007, 09:08
OK - we have Sky -- and it's about to come to the end of our first year.

Currently we have standard Sky Digital box - can't remember the exact name of the viewing package - we don't have sports or movies - think it's the family pack - so could we upgrade to a Sky+ service and get a new Sky+ PVR box for nowt?

Gareth
19-05-2007, 09:55
As far as I'm aware - although I'm prepared to be corrected - it's only the £10 monthly charge that they're abolishing. Now, if you already have Movies or Sports, then you don't pay the £10 charge anyway, but if, like me, you only subscribe to the Family Pack then you would normally have to pay the £10 p/month subscription fee (or upgrade to Movies and/or Sports for roughly the same price).

You will still need to pay for the Sky+ STB, which is £99 iirc. But, if you're on the Family Pack, then you'll be saving yourself £120 p/year in subscription charges.

TheBlueRaja
19-05-2007, 10:09
You only paid the 10 pound charge if your didnt have 2 of their premium channels (i.e. Sky Sports 1&2&3).

Now if only they would drop the stupid HD charge as well.

etccarmageddon
19-05-2007, 10:10
if you ring sky and haggle you can probably get the sky+ box for half price or free if you're really lucky.

tucker61
19-05-2007, 10:12
how long before Virgin start doing the same when people get through to retentions !

Toto
19-05-2007, 11:44
how long before Virgin start doing the same when people get through to retentions !

Who knows?

Its a good deal from Sky, and about time too. Competition is good for business, and good for the punter.

LSainsbury
19-05-2007, 12:33
if you ring sky and haggle you can probably get the sky+ box for half price or free if you're really lucky.

I have.

The woman knew nothing of the news. She asked her manager...

He knew nothing of the news.

I asked if she had access to the web - she didn't.

I asked if she could check it with somebody else. Her manager would ask his manger - but he's not in yet. :rolleyes:

GeoffW
19-05-2007, 12:36

I just called to order it, the guy said he wasn't able to put the order through with anything but the current prices and that included the current £60 installation fee compared to the reduced £30 charge in July. :( I decided to wait until July.

RXP
19-05-2007, 16:34
Awesome, I'm gonna get that in July then. Be nice to start all TV shows 15mins later so you can fly the ads in real time :-p

Tezcatlipoca
19-05-2007, 19:23
I stuck this up as news last night:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/343/sky-to-scrap-sky-subscription-charge-for-all-sky-digital-subscribers

(my first article - be gentle! :) )

I still dont understand what this means excatly. I have sky+ plus multiroom and sky movies. I pay £46/mo. Does this mean i can get rid of the movies and still save £10/mo ?

It means that if you subscribe to *any* Sky Digital TV package you do not have to pay the extra £10/month Sky+ charge, whereas previously you had to have the Movies or Sport Mix if you wanted to avoid the £10 Sky+ charge.

So, yes, if you dumped the Movies, you would be able to continue using Sky+ without having to pay an extra £10/month.

You only paid the 10 pound charge if your didnt have 2 of their premium channels (i.e. Sky Sports 1&2&3).

Now if only they would drop the stupid HD charge as well.

A big "only" though. Still plenty of people who don't have Sport or Movies.

e.g. I've got no interest in Sky Sports, & I think the Movie Mix is a waste of money.

Tezcatlipoca
19-05-2007, 23:34
EXCLUSIVE: Sky has announced on the Digital Spy forums that it will scrap the £10 monthly subscription charge for its Sky+ PVR service from July 1.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitaltv/a57991/sky-scraps-sky-subscription-charge.html

Checking the times, it seems that DS wasn't first to post this, it was actually first posted by SkyUser.

The DS story appeared just after 4pm on Friday, while the earlier "Sky+ Team" forum post at DS appeared shortly *after* the same Sky+ Team info was posted (http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-news-announcements/12458-sky-subscriptions.html#post73375) at SkyUser (2:22pm at DS vs 2:11pm at SkyUser).

Ben B
19-05-2007, 23:51

no because you still have to pay the £10 multiroom charge

Tezcatlipoca
19-05-2007, 23:59
He would be saving £10 compared to how things were before though.

As, if this change had not happened, & zeus9876 decided to drop the Movies Mix, he'd find himself having to then pay the £10 Sky+ sub 'cos of not having any Premiums.

Now, though, zeus9876 can drop the Movies & not have to worry about having to start paying an extra tenner per month for Sky+.

JediMaster
20-05-2007, 15:45
May sound a DAFT Question... But I'll ask anyway as I have never seen Sky+ working...

If I went to a well known Web Auction site :p: & got a Sky+ Box. Will that work FREE after the Data mentioned without having to ring Sky? or do I have to buy £99 box to Activate the Sky+ Service?

I'm on the £15 TV Deal with Sky (1 Package)

Tezcatlipoca
20-05-2007, 21:19
Nothing wrong with buying a Sky box off Ebay or anywhere else - they're not Sky's property (unlike Virgin Media boxes & modems, which shouldn't be sold on ebay as they're still VM's property).

You would need to get a dual (at a minimum) LNB fitted to the dish though, as Sky+ requires two feeds.

You *would* have to ring Sky - it won't just simply work.

But, all it would involve is phoning Sky, telling them you have a new Sky+ box, & asking them to pair your viewing card with it & activate the Sky+ features.

JediMaster
21-05-2007, 09:43
Thanks Matt D for that advice :) May try it in July

TheBlueRaja
21-05-2007, 10:53
I bought my HD box off Ebay and simply switched it for my Sky+ box (also moved my viewing card from one to the other).

Phoned up Sky, told them the score and viola, all working - no fuss and nice and easy.

zing_deleted
21-05-2007, 10:54
Yeah I self installed my sky+ a while ago but sold it when I cancelled but as ive posted elsewhere they just given me another one free ;)

UnReaL
24-05-2007, 17:18
I had a phone call from Sky today at about 1:30pm, I was given an offer of a free Sky+ box with £25 credit added to my Account.

So basically I got the following:

1. Free Sky+ box w/ £25 credit added to Account.
2. No minimum contract (so contract free, can cancel anytime and will be able to keep the Sky + box).
2. 1st month free.
3. 2nd month = £5.xx plus an added 10% discount.

I can basically pay the £5.xx for the 2nd month, cancel 30 days before next month and still keep box, paying for just the 2nd month. This is a bargain without a doubt.

Before anyone says anything, I know that you cannot record programmes without a subscription, but I have no problem with that, given that I'm only paying £5.xx for a "spare" box incase my other Multiroom box messes up on me (out of contract box).

Chrysalis
27-05-2007, 20:00
I may be ditching sky+, I wasnt paying the subs as I have sky sports package but the box is so slow and buggy compared to the normal sky digi box.