PDA

View Full Version : Can i change Ip address at all?

EIGHTIESLAD
17-05-2007, 23:20
Hi

Wondered if i was able to change my ip address at all. Im on virgin broadband with a cable modem. any help or suggestiosn would be appreciated

thanks

on in an hour!
17-05-2007, 23:23
Hi

Wondered if i was able to change my ip address at all. Im on virgin broadband with a cable modem. any help or suggestiosn would be appreciated

thanks
cant change it by ringing and requesting,but the ip's are dynamic at the moment so leaving your modem switched off then powering up may pick up a different one,but ive been on jobs where ive rebooted several times and received the same one back,albeit in the space of 10/15 mins.;) you can pay more for a static but ive heard its quite expensive.

SnoopZ
17-05-2007, 23:26
If you leave your modem powered off for several hours you stand a good chance of getting a new IP.

[edit]

This method has worked for me 3 times:

Release the IP using this (http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/windowsnetworkin1/ht/renewipaddrwxp.htm) method and then unplug modem for 7-8 hours and when you plug it in again my guess is you will have a different IP.

Note:

Just release the IP and power off, don't renew it from the above method.

Hope it works.

EIGHTIESLAD
17-05-2007, 23:26
thanks

on in an hour!
17-05-2007, 23:28
If you leave your modem powered off for several hours you stand a good chance of getting a new IP.
must have just beaten you to it there SnoopZ!!!

SnoopZ
17-05-2007, 23:37
must have just beaten you to it there SnoopZ!!!

Yer, but i said hours and not minutes. ;)

on in an hour!
17-05-2007, 23:39
Yer, but i said hours and not minutes. ;)
i only mentioned minutes in the context of fault finding on a job..you must be getting sleepy m8:zzz:

SnoopZ
17-05-2007, 23:41
i only mentioned minutes in the context of fault finding on a job..you must be getting sleepy m8:zzz:

Probably but then again i've just eaten cheese! Looks like it'll be cheesemares for me tonight..... :Yikes:

on in an hour!
17-05-2007, 23:42

[edit]

This method has worked for me 3 times:

Release the IP using this (http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/windowsnetworkin1/ht/renewipaddrwxp.htm) method and then unplug modem for 7-8 hours and when you plug it in again my guess is you will have a different IP.

Note:

Just release the IP and power off, don't renew it from the above method.

Hope it works.
this is what i was saying in my original post,release/renew one after the other will pick up the same i.p. address ;)

SnoopZ
17-05-2007, 23:44
this is what i was saying in my original post,release/renew one after the other will pick up the same i.p. address ;)

But release then power off for 7-8 hours works for me. Atleast it did last time i tried a few years ago. Maybe i was just lucky. :)

popper
17-05-2007, 23:46
Hi

thanks

come on lads we can do better than that....

yes you can (and no need to turn the modem off for hours) the IP is given you by esentially matching against the current MAC address of your connected network card , so replace your current MAC address with a new one, reset the stand alone NTL250/VM255 and the machine, and you will be given a new web IP.

if your still on the STB CM then it gets a bit tricky as i seem to remember they allow you only 5 MAC changes total, but it works upto that point.

iv never bothered to look for a tool to calculate a valid MAC address but you can be sure that there is one out there somewere.

i just use the slax given MAC address and put that in any windows OS machine if i need a quick test and the original MAC is a generic 00.00.00.00

on in an hour!
18-05-2007, 00:00
But release then power off for 7-8 hours works for me. Atleast it did last time i tried a few years ago. Maybe i was just lucky. :)
just switching off the modem will release the i.p. address,then it will depend on demand for i.p. addresses on the ubr whether you will pick up the same one,as you say,the longer its left off,the more chance you have of a different one,..still never asked why this person requires a new i.p. address...why do you need a different one???

---------- Post added at 00:00 ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 23:48 ----------

Probably but then again i've just eaten cheese! Looks like it'll be cheesemares for me tonight..... :Yikes:
wooooooohhhh...giant images of richard branson looking down on you from the ceiling..oh sorry that not your nightmare..its your projector :D :D :D

AntiSilence
18-05-2007, 01:05

Oddly enough, I've just had some cheese in the hope of having cheesemares LOL :)

EIGHTIESLAD
18-05-2007, 08:37
hi can i just thank everyone for their help in this matter and so many quick responses too. as an it newbie as such im very interested in what you have said. with regards to poppers post can you tell me how to replace your current MAC address with a new one

cheers

ps the reason why im asking is because one of my fave sites i know find i have been blocked or banned from - dont ask why and im still in talks with them.

thanks again

mertle
18-05-2007, 11:18
you can in certain routers but its a lottery what IP is given.

My netgear I have the option to release my IP and renew request.

I always do this if I have accessed intenet banking for extra safety. I always clear my history tracks to make sure nothing is kept for hackers to trace.

S.O.F.T.
18-05-2007, 16:28
[quote=EIGHTIESLAD;34307674]hi can i just thank everyone for their help in this matter and so many quick responses too. as an it newbie as such im very interested in what you have said. with regards to poppers post can you tell me how to replace your current MAC address with a new one

cheers

ps the reason why im asking is because one of my fave sites i know find i have been blocked or banned from - dont ask why and im still in talks with them.

thanks again[/quote

not a gaming site is it m8ty

EIGHTIESLAD
18-05-2007, 18:04
no its not a gaming site

popper
18-05-2007, 23:24
hi can i just thank everyone for their help in this matter and so many quick responses too. as an it newbie as such im very interested in what you have said. with regards to poppers post can you tell me how to replace your current MAC address with a new one

cheers

thanks again
'local area connection properties/configure/advanced/NetworkAddress'

see my post at the end for how, you still need a valid MAC address to put in there though, dont forget that...
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34290678-post10.html

Mr Clean
19-05-2007, 00:02
I believe you require something like this....

http://tmac.technitium.com/tmac/index.html

It nice and easy. Just change the last figure/letter of your existing mac address to one higher or lower than the value. Reboot modem and Hey Presto. New IP.

I use it alot.

popper
19-05-2007, 00:32

It nice and easy. Just change the last figure/letter of your existing mac address to one higher or lower than the value. Reboot modem and Hey Presto. New IP.

I use it alot.

i said there would be an app , thanks Mr Clean ;)

EIGHTIESLAD
19-05-2007, 15:37
many many thanks

gaffer_gump
27-05-2007, 09:17

I use it alot.

Works like a gud un... :tu:

Toto
27-05-2007, 09:47
A good tool that, easy to use.....but use with caution. Each uBR has a finite number of IP addresses, given that a lease is assigned to each CLIENT MAC address, i.e. your router or NIC, then by changing the address you are still holiding on to the IP address assigned to the old NIC number until its lease time expires.

You may fall foul of VM's network monitoring team if it sees mutiple IP addresses assigned to the same modem MAC address.

popper
28-05-2007, 10:48
A good tool that, easy to use.....but use with caution. Each uBR has a finite number of IP addresses, given that a lease is assigned to each CLIENT MAC address, i.e. your router or NIC, then by changing the address you are still holiding on to the IP address assigned to the old NIC number until its lease time expires.

You may fall foul of VM's network monitoring team if it sees mutiple IP addresses assigned to the same modem MAC address.
:tu:
good to know Toto, thanks.

the generic 00.00.00.00 on many motherboard LAN chips and the official bulk supplyed exC&W blue RJ45-to-USB2 kit must give them headaches sometimes LOL.

Toto
28-05-2007, 14:29
:tu:
good to know Toto, thanks.

the generic 00.00.00.00 on many motherboard LAN chips and the official bulk supplyed exC&W blue RJ45-to-USB2 kit must give them headaches sometimes LOL.

I'd guess it would be a little bit of a pain yes. :)