PDA

View Full Version : Electric shock

The Jackal
17-05-2007, 21:54
Went to open the front door when my thumb slid over one of the screws when I got a sudden strong tingling sensation and I knew what it was.

I didn't fancy trying it again :erm:

Getting my mains tester screw driver I touched one if the screws to find it indeed being live !

The same goes for the other light switch in my downstairs hallway.
These switches form part of the downstairs lighting circuit (5 amp fuse on this I believe) but the rest of switches are ok.

Anyone got any ideas as to what is the safest way to deal with this ? I guess in the interim I can switch off the downstairs lighting circuit.

Tricky
17-05-2007, 21:57
Get a qualified sparky in before you hit something serious

Graham M
17-05-2007, 21:58
Turn off the affected Lighting Circuit and get an electrician out, there are a few possible reasons for this but the RCD should be tripping really

Mains Leaking onto the Earth in the Switch (or somewhere else on your ring main but other things would be live too) causing a Life Earth - Main RCD should trip when this happens really

Mains leaking onto the Earth somewhere else in the house and travelling over Earth wire, again should be tripping the main RCD.

on in an hour!
Went to open the front door when my thumb slid over one of the screws when I got a sudden strong tingling sensation and I knew what it was.

Getting my mains tester screw driver I touched one if the screws to find it indeed being live !

These switches form part of the downstairs lighting circuit (5 amp fuse on this I believe) but the rest of switches are ok.

Anyone got any ideas as to what is the safest way to deal with this ? I guess in the interim I can switch off the downstairs lighting circuit.
take a feed off it to the door handle,when the thieves come to break in it will be a nice welcome for them :D :D :D

Paul K
Get a spark in, probably a metal back box and a loose wire somewhere on the circuit.

homealone
17-05-2007, 21:59
yes, turn off the d/s lighting circuit, then get a qualified electrician to check the earth bonding, there is no way your lights & the door frame should be connected :Yikes:

Russ
17-05-2007, 22:02
Isn't it now the law that this sort of thing has to be sorted out by a qualified spark?

Paul K
17-05-2007, 22:02
Think so.

Graham M
17-05-2007, 22:03
I think you can sort it yourself but the works needs to be certified?

The Jackal
17-05-2007, 22:06
Well with it being London an all it'll cost a fortune at this time of the night.

Nothing has tripped at the mains box, and as suggested I think there could be a leakage somewhere.

I've checked most of the sockets in the house and what looks very likely is that the main 2way (the one where you have a switch upstairs and a switch downstairs controlling one single light) circuit is affected.

Typically the light switches downstairs light up my screw driver like a christmas tree whereas the screws in the switch on the upstairs landing(two way switch) show a very faint light.

Now to work out what circuit to switch off without taking down all my machines.
Better shut them down.

Graham M
17-05-2007, 22:08
It'll be one of the ones that says 5A on, your computers will be on a 30A ring main :)

MovedGoalPosts
17-05-2007, 22:09
An RCD isn't usually provided on the lighting circuits, just the power outlet circuits. At least that used to be the case hence why so many houses have split circuit boards so parts aren't RCD controlled. A RCD will not prevent a shock, just prevent a fatal shock, some current would still flow.

Many older houses that have not been recently rewired, or significantly upgraded, will not have RCDs, and frequently even MCB (circuit breakers) relying on older fusewire. Even older 1970s or earlier property might not even have an earth circuit to lighting. :shocking:

The rules don't prevent unregistered electricians from looking at your system, indeed provided they don't add a complete circuit or alter wiring in the kitchen , bathroom, or property exterior they can do quite a lot, like major additions to extend circuits.

Hom3r
17-05-2007, 22:12
All the electrics in our house are RCD protected, Its a pain when a light blows and trip and we have to reset the box

Wicked_and_Crazy
17-05-2007, 22:23
Isn't it now the law that this sort of thing has to be sorted out by a qualified spark?

Depends on the solution really. Part P is all about new installations or changes in notifiable areas (eg where there is close proximity to water)

---------- Post added at 22:19 ---------- Previous post was at 22:15 ----------

An RCD isn't usually provided on the lighting circuits, just the power outlet circuits. At least that used to be the case hence why so many houses have split circuit boards so parts aren't RCD controlled.

Due to the fact that a light bulb blowing will trip an RCD. Which is a pain as its usually dark when you turn lights on

---------- Post added at 22:23 ---------- Previous post was at 22:19 ----------

how olds your house? Do you have an earth stake? Has it come out of the ground or been disconnected?

SnoopZ
17-05-2007, 22:28
All the electrics in our house are RCD protected, Its a pain when a light blows and trip and we have to reset the box

Same here and my house is 10 years old.

The Jackal
17-05-2007, 22:30
how olds your house? Do you have an earth stake? Has it come out of the ground or been disconnected?

I know you're all tuned in to see me fry but unfortunately I'm still alive ;)

It was the upstairs circuit in the end so I've switched that off.

Well the house is 1910s build very late Georgian styling and my missus got fed up waiting for me to rewire it so she got some micky mouse electricians grrrr they were aweful but they actually did do it correctly I saw them.

The only shortcut I saw them using was to connect the downstairs wall lights by spuring off the downstairs main ring. No big deal as going from the lighting circuiting would have destroyed my coving.

PS Thankyou all

on in an hour!
17-05-2007, 22:31

Well the house is 1910s build very late Georgian styling and my missus got fed up waiting for me to rewire it so she got some micky mouse electricians grrrr they were aweful but they actually did do it correctly I saw them.

The only shortcut I saw them using was to connect the downstairs wall lights by spuring off the downstairs main ring. No big deal as going from the lighting circuiting would have destroyed my coving.

PS Thankyou all
the problem with mickey mouse doing electrical installations is the size of his hands,hes very clumbsy :D

Wicked_and_Crazy
17-05-2007, 22:34
the problem with mickey mouse doing electrical installations is the size of his hands,hes very clumbsy :D

Talking of mice, got any in your loft that might have gnawed at cables?

The Jackal
17-05-2007, 22:37
Do you have an earth stake? Has it come out of the ground or been disconnected?

tbh This has always been a concern for me as it appears that earth is connected to the metal casing on the old electric supply (the big black cable) that comes into the house.

A few electricians have said that this fine. :shrug: I dunno

Gnaaawwwwwwww we don't have that problem. (ps I'm no commedian ;)
The mice dont want to live in a dump like this ;) But then again you never know.

I was up there the other week and all looked good.

on in an hour!
17-05-2007, 22:38
we dont mess about up here..its either grey squirrels or nothing :ninja:

Wicked_and_Crazy
17-05-2007, 22:42
tbh This has always been a concern for me as it appears that earth is connected to the metal casing on the old electric supply (the big black) that comes into the house.

A few electricians have said that this fine. :shrug: I dunno

As youve now narrowed it down to the upstairs lighting circuit the earth strap must be ok. I'd be looking to see if the upstairs lighting circuit is actually connected to the earth strap or if one of the fittings has a loose or badly insulated wire

---------- Post added at 22:42 ---------- Previous post was at 22:41 ----------

we dont mess about up here..its either grey squirrels or nothing :ninja:

we get 100's of those damn things, they dont come back if you make their nuts live ;)

on in an hour!
17-05-2007, 22:43
As youve now narrowed it down to the upstairs lighting circuit the earth strap must be ok. I'd be looking to see if the upstairs lighting circuit is actually connected to the earth strap or if one of the fittings has a loose or badly insulated wire

---------- Post added at 22:42 ---------- Previous post was at 22:41 ----------

we get 100's of those damn things, they dont come back if you make their nuts live ;)
tried that,put some cashews in the standard lamp..no joy :(

Wicked_and_Crazy
17-05-2007, 22:45
tried that,put some cashews in the standard lamp..no joy :(

Their Walnuts!!

yesman
17-05-2007, 22:50

Turn the circuit off and get a registered sparks in to look at the problem.
They need to be registered with one of the following. NAPIT (http://www.napit.org.uk/). NICEIC (http://www.niceic.org.uk/) ELECSA (http://www.elecsa.org.uk/). ECA (http://www.eca.co.uk/).

You can find registered sparks on each of those sites.

Graham M
17-05-2007, 22:53

PS Thankyou all

Question Uno, did they put in a Switched Fuse Unit for the wall lights?

on in an hour!
17-05-2007, 22:54
Question Uno, did they put in a Switched Fuse Unit for the wall lights?
never mind all that...what are walnuts,do you put them in wall lights :D :D :D

Wicked_and_Crazy
17-05-2007, 23:03
never mind all that...what are walnuts,do you put them in wall lights :D :D :D

yep, stops em falling off of the wall ;)

The Jackal
17-05-2007, 23:04
Well its definately the 2 way switch. I've shut down both lighting circuits and will take a look in the morning when theres better light or as 'yesman' suggested get a qualified sparky in.

on in an hour!
17-05-2007, 23:18
yep, stops em falling off of the wall ;)
he he.thought that was screws,unless youve got some heavy duty wall-lamps of the lampost variety !!!