PDA

View Full Version : You got to laugh

mr_bo
16-05-2007, 21:12
I have had no phone service for a month and a very intermittent service for two months prior to that, 3 engineer visits and they decide the cable is terminal and requires renewal. So after 2 weeks between diagnosis and today, the engineers turn up to renew the cable only to knock on the door and say they can't do it as they are not allowed to lift paving slabs. Now I do understand why but I find it poor after the numerous phone calls or visits somebody could have warned me and I would have lifted the paving slabs ready for them but instead I had to agree to this just so I had a friggin working phone!

on in an hour!
16-05-2007, 21:19
I have had no phone service for a month and a very intermittent service for two months prior to that, 3 engineer visits and they decide the cable is terminal and requires renewal. So after 2 weeks between diagnosis and today, the engineers turn up to renew the cable only to knock on the door and say they can't do it as they are not allowed to lift paving slabs. Now I do understand why but I find it poor after the numerous phone calls or visits somebody could have warned me and I would have lifted the paving slabs ready for them but instead I had to agree to this just so I had a friggin working phone!
this is b******s m8,get on to the installation people as soon as you can,these guys need their balls chopping off,'dont lift flags' how the hell do they think millions of miles of cable is laid,including in peoples gardens,including block paving,including concrete,lift the flag,channel the ash/hardcore underneath to bed the ducting,level off (roughly) replace flag,tap level with rubber maul or lump hammer handle,job done :mad:

Paul K
16-05-2007, 21:20
And there was me thinking the green conduit across the top of everything was a standard install procedure....... since they did the same to us even though we only have gravel out the front where the cable was installed.

Nedkelly
16-05-2007, 21:21
Sorry that excuse is pathetic .They just did not want to lift the slabs or they could of ground off a little bit off the edge to drop the cable into the gap.I would ring up as that is a tripping hazzard .I have not seen a memo from installs saying this :)

fireman328
16-05-2007, 21:27
this is b******s m8,get on to the installation people as soon as you can,these guys need their balls chopping off,'dont lift flags' how the hell do they think millions of miles of cable is laid,including in peoples gardens,including block paving,including concrete,lift the flag,channel the ash/hardcore underneath to bed the ducting,level off (roughly) replace flag,tap level with rubber maul or lump hammer handle,job done :mad:

This is a real hazard and certainly needs reporting to HSE and local council for immediate action, if a postman or other visitor trips and gets injured it could be you in the dock as well as the installers.

mr_bo
16-05-2007, 21:34
To be honest, I am desperate to have my phone back after that amount of time so I told them to leave the cable there and I will bury it when I get time or they were going to clear off. I'm not worried about people tripping on it as there is no reason for someone to be there.

Nedkelly
16-05-2007, 21:34
This is a big problem they know they can get away with it as there is no one checking there work :mad:If i had done that in 1995 i would of been given a written warning

Fingy
16-05-2007, 22:05
I would still report it, though by the time someone gets sent to look/fix it you probably could have it sorted yourself. :shrug:

on in an hour!
16-05-2007, 22:11
I would still report it, though by the time someone gets sent to look/fix it you probably could have it sorted yourself. :shrug:
but the picture is still there for all to see fingy.these people should not be able to get away with this,they are paid for a repull,in this is timing/payment for burying the cable from swept tee (street access) to external termination box (the brown box on the wall (( dont mean to be condescending here)).any problems with lifting flags should have been highlighted to the sub b4 continuation of the repull,but then they wouldnt have been paid if sub disagreed,so they did it then came with BS :mad:

Nedkelly
16-05-2007, 22:30
Jobs like this give VM and there contractors a bad name :mad:

Fingy
16-05-2007, 22:36
I know all of this, just being realistic if it is a tripping hazzard.

Nedkelly
16-05-2007, 22:38
I have heared of customers doing this :erm:

maths15
16-05-2007, 22:41
Question.

If you trip over the cable can you then sue VM? This must go against all EH&S.

on in an hour!
16-05-2007, 22:47
Question.

If you trip over the cable can you then sue VM? This must go against all EH&S.
absolutely maths,but these t****rs obviously dont give a ****e about peoples safety or VM's reputation :mad: i'd love the chance to do an install like this at their house,i'd blow the bricks,leave the brickdust all over the carpet,install the phone No from the pizza shop into their house,and leave them with ch's 1-5 for a week!! back at you,you shoddy excuses for installers :mad:

Nedkelly
16-05-2007, 22:49
:clap::clap:

Fingy
16-05-2007, 22:57
I'm gonna play devils advocate here and just point out that just like fault techs and every other role in the company, there are good installers as well as bad.

NTLVictim
17-05-2007, 08:56
I thought blowing bricks was normal..the crater in our front wall has more silicon in it than Pamela Anderson, and that install was years ago, when Sally Meen was still on the barker channel!

vhelper
17-05-2007, 09:18
I have sent you a PM so I can get this sorted out for you today.

Vhelper

maths15
19-05-2007, 09:01
absolutely maths,but these t****rs obviously dont give a ****e about peoples safety or VM's reputation :mad: i'd love the chance to do an install like this at their house,i'd blow the bricks,leave the brickdust all over the carpet,install the phone No from the pizza shop into their house,and leave them with ch's 1-5 for a week!! back at you,you shoddy excuses for installers :mad:

IN the industry I work in without a doubt the installer would be sacked for this out of hand.

rvspeter07
23-05-2007, 17:35
So after 2 weeks between diagnosis and today, the engineers turn up to renew the cable only to knock on the door and say they can't do it as they are not allowed to lift paving slabs.

We have some grass with paving between the house and grass much like yours, but a little more complicated. Our grass is slightly raised and has a little wall around it, then there's the paving stones, the house. The installers buried it under the grass, drilled through the brick at the bottom and ran the cable through there. They then cut a neat little groove about half an inch deep into the paving, ran the cable into that and filled it over for us. No paving stone lifting involved, and we didn't even have to make a fuss about that they just did it for us.

bb807
23-05-2007, 17:51
Thats why are road has bumps and holes in it like the grand canyon after cable had finished......and the pavement is like a hike up the chiltons.:angel:

fixerman
24-05-2007, 11:24
Have a look at my posts on this thread. It really is good for a laugh. Maybe we should set up a thread of photos of bodged installations.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/62/33614514-cut-through-cable-page-2.html

mr_bo
31-05-2007, 20:33
Well I had a visit from the area manager today at 11:00 and he confirmed that the engineers won't lift block paving or professionally laid paving slabs. As neither of these apply the engineer shouldn't have left it the way he did and by the time I went home at 1:00pm he had had someone out and sorted it. Not a even a glimpse of green conduit in sight now. All happy now.

zing_deleted
31-05-2007, 20:49
glad its sorted :)

Nedkelly
31-05-2007, 22:04
Yes glad it got sorted :)