PDA

View Full Version : Help from mod please...

Slyder
16-05-2007, 18:13
Very quickly, my friend has just rung VM and has been told they can not supply services to him as his area is not cabled. Im not sure if this is right or not as I have put his postcode into the checker and while his number is not listed, number 4 is - which you can see from his house.

Ive read about CATV points having to be near the property, would be appreciated if someone could post a pic so I know what were looking for.

If possible could a mod double check the postcode and house number as were really stumped.

Paul K
16-05-2007, 18:20
Normally a little square hatch in the pavement outside the property. Just because a house nearby is serviced it doesn't mean all houses are serviced.

Slyder
16-05-2007, 18:27
Normally a little square hatch in the pavement outside the property. Just because a house nearby is serviced it doesn't mean all houses are serviced.

Which is understandable, its just with the layout of the road - you can have a conversation with each other from your own doorsteps. There that close... :monkey:

punky
16-05-2007, 18:33
In all honesty, if the online checker and CS have said he can't have it, then its probably right.

Escalations are normally for people who get the run around by CS, etc, but if CS are adament the property can't receive service, then its probably true.

Stuart
16-05-2007, 19:13
Which is understandable, its just with the layout of the road - you can have a conversation with each other from your own doorsteps. There that close... :monkey:

There are a lot of areas that, for various reasons, NTL (or even the original Cableco) ran out of money while installing, and more often than not, the engineers just stopped halfway through enabling the area. This may be one of those areas.

on in an hour!
16-05-2007, 19:46
Very quickly, my friend has just rung VM and has been told they can not supply services to him as his area is not cabled. Im not sure if this is right or not as I have put his postcode into the checker and while his number is not listed, number 4 is - which you can see from his house.

Ive read about CATV points having to be near the property, would be appreciated if someone could post a pic so I know what were looking for.

If possible could a mod double check the postcode and house number as were really stumped.
best thing to do (considering someone so close has it) is to ask if they can raise an order for a site survey,this way you will get an installer to check if its possible to install by a visit to the property,then it needs to go to design to add the No on the postcode checker/system.failing all that,and depending on where the neighbours external box is situated,they can always split the RF signal from the neighbours house to feed their broadband/t.v. and the cable will have a spare pair of wires for the telco to be connected to.this happens a lot when a new install comes up on the system as pre-wired,i.e. previously installed,but when the tech visits he finds the cable from the cabinet to the house to be faulty,or missing (ripped out of the garden) ;)
also,the access pipe lid out on the street can be squareish (cast iron,looks like the lid on your street cockstop for your water) commonly known as a catflap.or can be round or triangular (plastic)