PDA

View Full Version : just noticed from my router I am getting very short IP leases according to my router

mertle
16-05-2007, 14:41
I used to get the IP lease for at least 6 hours at a time.

But now its seem I am only given the lease time for that IP address for 1 hour at a time.

Taken from my router
Lease Obtained14:37:58 , Wednesday.Lease Expires15:37:58 , Wednesday.

Could this effect using broadband

Stuart
16-05-2007, 14:47
It shouldn't.

mertle
16-05-2007, 14:56
thanks. Does this just re-assign the licence to that IP until I switch off.

zovat
16-05-2007, 17:08
thanks. Does this just re-assign the licence to that IP until I switch off.

yep, the lease is assigned until you re-set the CM - if someone else gets it whilst your CM is down, then so be it.

However the odds are that you will get the same IP on reboot, as the default behaviour is to get the old address first before trying to get a new one from the pool.

progers
16-05-2007, 20:22
I leave my CM and router on 24/7 but lately, my ip address has been changing every Sunday???

:confused:

awibble
17-05-2007, 10:28
Since installation, i have only had 3 IP addresses. I get the same 3 over and over.

the first one is when using my wireless router, another for the PS3 directly, and another for my laptop directly.

I had my CM turned off for 3 days when i went away, and still got the same IP address when i returned.

Toto
17-05-2007, 11:53
yep, the lease is assigned until you re-set the CM - if someone else gets it whilst your CM is down, then so be it.

However the odds are that you will get the same IP on reboot, as the default behaviour is to get the old address first before trying to get a new one from the pool.

Sorry that's slightly incorrect.

The lease to the modem is based on the PC or Router (client) MAC address, and the IP lease is assigned for a period of time. If at the end of the lease time there is no other request for the same IP address, then it is usually reassigned to the same client MAC address.

Resetting the CM will not guarantee a new IP address, the only way you can do that is to change your client MAC address, which is easy to do with most routers. There is a light chance you will get the same IP address if it is in the free pool, but the timing on that has to be correct.

For example, if you get a lease for IP 1.1.1.1 on monday, and the lease time is 96 hours, if you change the MAC address of the client during the lease time, such as the router or the Ethernet card, then you will get a different IP address as the 1.1.1.1 is still assigned to the old client MAC address until Friday. :)

---------- Post added at 11:53 ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 ----------

I leave my CM and router on 24/7 but lately, my ip address has been changing every Sunday???

:confused:

Yup, VM are likely limiting IP address lease times to about a week, if you are on a nearly full uBR then your address will change regularly.

mertle
17-05-2007, 12:30
Its lot better now I am getting 8 day leases. So it could have been down to heavy usage why short leases were subscribed.

Lease Obtained09:06:43 , Thursday.Lease Expires14:08:00 , Wednesday.

My router can sometimes fail to renew the lease and my connection drop. With shorts leases I had a couple of times. I wondering if this is a fault with my router or its being ultra paranoid with protecting me.

progers
18-05-2007, 17:44
It's the problem I have, every time the ip changes, I have to reboot the router as it can't pick up the change