PDA

View Full Version : VM Can't install my house, but I can see the CATV box across the road!

blessani
16-05-2007, 14:53
Hi,

I'm in a pig of a situation, the house I'm moving to doesn't have a telephone line and I need broadband (preferably DSL). I've been with NTL for years and find their broadband service far better than the rest, but I have hit a wall now.

The house has no cable points, and I called VM to ask if we can get it, the house 3 doors down, and all the way down the street get it, but not ours. Their green box is literally in front of my house on the other side of the street, but there is no cable joining the two.

When I called VM they said it would be at least 1 year before they could hook our house up.......is there anyway of getting them to install the lousy 10m cable from the box to my house, or will I just have to wait!

Ben

zing_deleted
16-05-2007, 15:08
:welcome: your out of luck they cant just dig up the street to get the cable to you.You just gotta hope they do supply the area eventually

blessani
19-05-2007, 00:14
So I'm guessing theres no way of them fitting it in. I even saw the CATV grid behind my house, literally 2 yards from the garage door - I don't get why my house can get it and everyone elses house on the road can.

AndyCambs
19-05-2007, 08:11
If the conduit isn't there to your house - then you're going to be out of luck

Graham M
19-05-2007, 12:08
So I'm guessing theres no way of them fitting it in. I even saw the CATV grid behind my house, literally 2 yards from the garage door - I don't get why my house can get it and everyone elses house on the road can.

CATV grid?

PS1
19-05-2007, 12:59
If by saying "catv grid" you mean the small triangle or circle "t" lid (which should be pretty close to your property)then theres a good chance you could be installed.If you are reffering to a large box lid in the pavenent or road then there is no gaurentee there is actually a duct from that heading in your direction.A simple survey could confirm either way.Personally i wouldnt just take the word of someone over the phone who is going by their records of the area.:tu:

blessani
19-05-2007, 19:59
When I did a snoop, I lifted the grids (not sure whether thats legal), on the main road, you can clearly see the wires cross the street, then turn left to my 2 door's down neighbours house, there is no provision (green tube) for the wires to be placed to the right.

However, round the back next to the garage door, there is a square CATV grid, which has the green tubing in place, which runs from down the lane, and another which points directly to my house. There are no wires in there, simply rope - which must be what they will use to pull the wire through. I will lift the grid down the lane (where the other green tube points) to see what is under there.

I might ask them to come out and do an inspection onsite and see if I get anywhere. I will report back with photos!

Slyder
26-05-2007, 12:51
When I did a snoop, I lifted the grids (not sure whether thats legal),

Bit naughty, but as long as you put them back - Im sure you wouldnt get life in jail for it. ;)

indie1982
30-05-2007, 16:22
Last year when I ordered NTL online I got an email saying that my property wasn't in an NTL cabled area, after an email back saying the shop below my flat had an NTL phone line I got another email basically saying that he had double checked the records, I was wrong and I must be mistaken.

Took me 3 months to actually get NTL installed with problems ranging from collapsed ducting to missing installers and plaster is still missing from my wall where the installer drilled from the outside in to put the phone line in. I really shouldn't have believed him when he said he'd be back on Monday to fix it :P

on in an hour!
30-05-2007, 16:28
When I did a snoop, I lifted the grids (not sure whether thats legal), on the main road, you can clearly see the wires cross the street, then turn left to my 2 door's down neighbours house, there is no provision (green tube) for the wires to be placed to the right.

However, round the back next to the garage door, there is a square CATV grid, which has the green tubing in place, which runs from down the lane, and another which points directly to my house. There are no wires in there, simply rope - which must be what they will use to pull the wire through. I will lift the grid down the lane (where the other green tube points) to see what is under there.

I might ask them to come out and do an inspection onsite and see if I get anywhere. I will report back with photos!
sounds like you may be in luck round the back of the house,that rope indicates your grid is at the end of the ducting (last on the run) they blow the construction from the last access point to check for any blockages and blow the rope thro as traditionally last on the run is a long rod to the first pit,you really need an install site survey who can clear this up.you could try lifting another pit lid to see if your rope is tied off in there,get a mate to pull the rope,if it moves its yours and you can get the cable to that first pit at least,although a site survey would be done by someone who knows what theyre looking for in every pit to see if that construction leads to the cab at the front,or indeed to another cab,good luck ;)

Red Robin
20-06-2007, 13:33
Hi

Not sure if you still need resolution to this, but can you advise which town you are in (some VM people helping on here only cover certain areas). Someone with more specific local knowledge may be able to try and help you out (such as me, if you are within my region!)

Thanks