PDA

View Full Version : Dial Up Connection problem

Malcolm Wade
16-05-2007, 10:18
Problems with Dial-up connection using Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro V2040, Motorola SM56 modem on NTL Cable connection
Set up ISP with Connection Wizard.
Connects the first time
Try again dials, checks username and password get Windows Error 721
Tried several different ISP’s same problem.
Connect to a BT phone line all OK
Fujitsu and ISP support have not been able to throw any light on the problem

kfridge
16-05-2007, 13:53
an error 721 means that the remote computer you are dialling is not responding...as you have tried other ISP's with the same problem it might be that your modem drivers are corrupt or not compatible with XP (if you have recently upgraded) or it could be a simple modem cable or fault or even a faulty modem.

zing_deleted
16-05-2007, 13:54
Problems with Dial-up connection using Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pro V2040, Motorola SM56 modem on NTL Cable connection
Set up ISP with Connection Wizard.
Connects the first time
Try again dials, checks username and password get Windows Error 721
Tried several different ISP’s same problem.
Connect to a BT phone line all OK
Fujitsu and ISP support have not been able to throw any light on the problem

No comprehendo .Do you have a cable modem?

:welcome:

Who is it your trying to sign up with?

kfridge
16-05-2007, 16:48
the Motorola SM56 modem is a standard 56k modem so i suspect that the user is using NTL's dial up service rather than using a cable modem to access the dial up service...or at least that's the way I read it!

Malcolm Wade
18-05-2007, 12:18

No it is a standard dial up modem, latest driver installed
ISP's tried, NTL, Wanadoo, Waitrose, Virgin
Same problem

cfuser
18-05-2007, 12:27
Hi,

I think, if am correct in understanding that you have tested the same modem, leads, etc. with another essentially / entirely / operationally identical PC [or the same PC] on a BT line and all works fine where it fails on your NTL phone line, then it may be some subtle difficulty on the NTL line.

You could try manually overiding the connection paramters of the modem so it will connect at a lower, more traditionally and theoretically stable speed and standard V.32bis 33.6k rather than the modem trying to use one of the 56k standards, and this should help confirm for you where the problem lies. To do this you will have to change the initialisation strings for your modem using the appropriate AT commands.

Best wishes,

News Reader

Richy99
18-05-2007, 15:10
try a couple of init strings as the modem is hsp modem and they were notoriously bad software modems

AT&F&C1&D2
at*mm14 (removes the 56kflex)

Malcolm Wade
18-05-2007, 16:24

No it is a standard dial up modem, latest driver installed
ISP's tried, NTL, Wanadoo, Waitrose, Virgin
Same problem

---------- Post added at 16:22 ---------- Previous post was at 16:21 ----------

the Motorola SM56 modem is a standard 56k modem so i suspect that the user is using NTL's dial up service rather than using a cable modem to access the dial up service...or at least that's the way I read it!

Yes that is correct

---------- Post added at 16:24 ---------- Previous post was at 16:22 ----------

an error 721 means that the remote computer you are dialling is not responding...as you have tried other ISP's with the same problem it might be that your modem drivers are corrupt or not compatible with XP (if you have recently upgraded) or it could be a simple modem cable or fault or even a faulty modem.

Used the same laptop,lead, modem on BT line no problem