PDA

View Full Version : Got charged for receiving SMS?

thanosp
15-05-2007, 23:08
I checked my account online and I found out that I was charged for a message that I received! When I received the text message, i didn't open it to see what's in. All I could see was that it included a "@" symbol and the words " Hey there :> ". Most obvious it was a WAP link. I got charged 25p for this text just by receiving it!

12-May-07 17:37:00 700020281 1.0 Text service received £0.25
The number in bold is the sender. It is quite frustrating to get charged for something I didn't ask for. And if you think that I gave my mobile online (webpage), then NO as I am quite careful with this kind of things.

Any idea what it's all about?

zovat
16-05-2007, 12:59
I checked my account online and I found out that I was charged for a message that I received! When I received the text message, i didn't open it to see what's in. All I could see was that it included a "@" symbol and the words " Hey there :> ". Most obvious it was a WAP link. I got charged 25p for this text just by receiving it!

12-May-07 17:37:00 700020281 1.0 Text service received £0.25
The number in bold is the sender. It is quite frustrating to get charged for something I didn't ask for. And if you think that I gave my mobile online (webpage), then NO as I am quite careful with this kind of things.

Any idea what it's all about?

could be a reply from a competition text - such as the Gadget show or Fifth gear run.

The text you send them is free - they then reply with a "thanks for entering" type mail which costs you the 25p (hence calls cost 25p + standard text rate).

have you entered any such competition recently ?

chickendippers
20-06-2007, 11:19
I've noticed this on my bill as well; no idea what it is. I haven't entered any competitions or used any premium rate or short number text numbers.

chickendippers
27-03-2008, 17:53
Apologies for bumping this old thread, but I've just figured out what this call charge is.

It's sent from http://www.taxitextalert.com and is a message to tell you that your taxi has arrived.

I'm quite annoyed because I never requested this text alert service and never would have done so if I was going to be charged for it!

thanosp
27-03-2008, 18:09
Thank you for clearing things out. It's true, it's the text alert i am receiving, not always, when i call a private hire cab. :tu: