PDA

View Full Version : Very slow in bradford

bbr81
15-05-2007, 22:11
For over a week I have had internet speed of about 0.2Mbps (my upload being 0.3Mbps)

This is obtained from thinkbroadband.com (formally adslguide.org.uk)

I've tried the reboots etc.

I should be on 10Mbps and am not a heavy downloader.

I am busy and can not call NTL everyday, but I did call them sunday.

I was on the phone for about 22 mins, and he said my connection is fine because I can download at full speed - he made me download a file from a game server (gamefiles.virginmedia.com or something). it went at 1000kps = 10mbps. but download from anywhere else and is only between 100k and 300k.

Any help?

I have a motorola sb101e surfboard modem. former telewest.

---------- Post added at 22:11 ---------- Previous post was at 21:19 ----------

Well tonight (Monday) I called virgin media.

1st went through to overseas tech support - then was dissconected.

I called back and got UK tech support and was talking for 32 mins.

Although it was a long call he was very helpfull but the conversation ended with I'm sorry sir there is nothing else I can do, for me to work out what is wrong.!!

Well here goes - donwload from gamefiles.virginmedia.com = 10mbps(full)
from microsoft or download.com and many others I tried = 50kbps

He was baffled as he said the whole of yorkshire had a warning up of slow connections but not mine in bradford? He did say that those people also had connection speed probs even from that virgin media game site, but then I didn't.

Strange.

Well he said to call back next day if problem persists (10pm I guess he was fininshing).

Well I'll try straight after work, and if they can not help me I'm going to reduce my speed as I rather pay less for crap service.

(does it not seem evident there is a problem with NTL many people having slow connections etc... )

any ideas anyone

killinghall
15-05-2007, 22:38
hi there,

I'm not sure where in Bradford you are, but I thought all of BD was ex-Telewest, not ex-NTL.

I'm having slowness now & again too, speed tests are going pretty beserk and vary greatly, I rang support too who confirm a slowness in Yorkshire in general.

Try this, I downloaded a Knoppix ISO yesterday & also just now and was getting good speeds, nearly 1200 kpbs actually.

Go to ftp://ftp.mirrorservice.org/sites/ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix-dvd
Start downloading KNOPPIX_V5.1.1DVD-2007-01-04-EN.iso which is 4222854 KB
See what speed you're getting with that

Alternatively if you want to tell me what you were downloading we can compare speeds. I live in BD3.

Mick Fisher
16-05-2007, 06:16
I was on the phone for about 22 mins, and he said my connection is fine because I can download at full speed - he made me download a file from a game server (gamefiles.virginmedia.com or something). it went at 1000kps = 10mbps. but download from anywhere else and is only between 100k and 300k.
The file you downloaded from the game server at full speed would indicate that your BB connection is operating normally. What you are likely seeing with your downloads of 100k and 300k is probably the result of VM's diabolically cheapskate routing which connects their network to the real world. You should do tracerts to these problem destinations and see where the bottlenecks are. If you are unlucky enough to be routed over Level 13's servers you see that for most of the day they are saturated and dropping packets. VM or as it was Ntl's external routing has been sub standard for years so don't hold your breath waiting for improvements.
You might want to try a multi-slotted download manager to see if it improves things for you. http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/download.htm Use as many slots as your source will allow.

Good Luck. :)

bbr81
16-05-2007, 10:18
Well here I shall cause more confusion.

because, on monday night I was asked to do trace routes to different websites, each time pings less than 30ms were obtained. with no loss.

So seem to be no problems there.

Also I do download from newsgroups and have tried running many connections (i.e. multiple downloads) and still I will only get up to 200-300k. 1 connected download will only do around 35kps, either from good newsgroup or microsoft etc..

I am suprised because I have had a very good connection for about a year, started to go slow at the end of april..

wilfuerdo
16-05-2007, 22:37
Exactly same in Rotherham, and im sure many other places. "see my thread about Rotherham speeds"

i too get 1.12MB/SEC from blueyonder gamefiles, but every single other site i get well below 50KB/SEc, most common is around 12KB/SEC

all I got from support was that if gamefiles is fast, then theres no problem, they cant guarantee speeds from other sites.

everything was perfect here, for years until 3rd May, since then its awful. last call, i was told that my local UBR had a major fault, no idea what but it was reported faulty 24th march and they estimate a fix for 23rd july, so they know it must be a big fault.

killinghall
17-05-2007, 22:52
I've got very very slow speed today, downloading from VM games at around 200kbps on a 10MB connection,

On the phone waiting to speak to Tech support now - the "Slow Internet Speeds in Yorkshire" has been up there for far too long, I need some answers!

Cavarius
17-05-2007, 22:56
It's running at 3Mbps here (on 10Mbps) seems to be dropping too. Haven't got anywhere near breaching the cap.

On UBR02 (Crawley)

killinghall
17-05-2007, 22:58
how do I know what UBR I'm on other than ringing VM CS?

bbr81
17-05-2007, 23:59
Hi. well my speeds have gone up a tiny bit now.

Up to about 2-3mbps.

Bradford is an ex-telewest region. Under them it was great!!

Although I am going to check my dads BB tomorrow as he lives in a NTL region in west yorkshire.

my arguement is - your provider should know exactly what they ae providing you and any poor service of more than a week should result in a lower cost. e.g the cost of 2mbps if thats what i have been getting for the last 2 weeks (has been a lot less) - but do they stay on the right side of the law as i can download full speed from their network??!!!!

I think I will call and have my BB packaged reduceed if it is not full speed in 1 week.