PDA

View Full Version : Bailiff advice

Central
15-05-2007, 17:50
For the past 3 or so months Philips have been sending letters to my house for a ccompletely different person.I have rang them every time and they say someone will have to verify it.

A bailiff did attend my house and I showed him my Tenancy, Council Tax statement and provisional driving licence. I then got another letter after that stating a bailiff would be visiting my house to get money owed by this other person. So I rang them up again. They said the bailiff probaly never got around to telling them this person never lived there yet. Great I thought.

Today after getting home from work I found a envelope and on it is a stamp saying delivered by hand. I knew what it was because this person only has one letter and its from the bailiffs.

I opened and the letter states

"If you fail to make immediate payment we may re-attend your premises with a locksmith to remove any levied goods even in your absence"

Now I dont wanna come home to a empty house for a debt thats not even mine. The person has the same initials as me but thats it.

Any advice?

Russ
15-05-2007, 17:58
Firstly they cannot do anything to your locks as they have not levied any of your goods. In order to do so, the legalised thugs...erm I mean bailiffs would have had to enter your property and make a note of your goods in order to know what to take.

Seeing as he didn't do this, he cannot do what he has threatened do to (most bailiffs threats are BS anyway).

In the meantime get photocopies of your documents and send them by recorded delivery to the bailiff address.

papa smurf
15-05-2007, 18:11
i saw a program about this on tv ,they took a guys car and he had a hell of a time getting it back,you need to get it sorted asap, these thugs only care about there commision.

Russ
15-05-2007, 18:13
i saw a program about this on tv ,they took a guys car and he had a hell of a time getting it back,you need to get it sorted asap, these thugs only care about there commision.

They can't take anything which belongs to him because it's not his debt.

If they try to take anything, block their way and call the police.

papa smurf
15-05-2007, 18:22
They can't take anything which belongs to him because it's not his debt.

If they try to take anything, block their way and call the police.

when i say took his car ..they used profesional burglar tools to get into it ,and hot wired it, the owner was completly unaware untill he came out of the house to use the car and it was gone, he did get it back but the bailiffs where not prosecuted [wheres the justice eh]

AntiSilence
15-05-2007, 18:42
Bailiffs are thugs, plain and simple. Especially when it comes to collecting debts that aren't yours.

daley
15-05-2007, 18:46
Try This it should help

http://www.insolvencyhelpline.co.uk/debt_basics/bailiff-guide.htm

Central
15-05-2007, 19:15
I did ring the police and the policeman said these people are morons and he was happy to record what I said down to him in case a Bailiff does try anything and they can quickly get the facts.

He gave me a ref number to.

Ramrod
15-05-2007, 19:57
Bailiffs are thugs, plain and simple. Especially when it comes to collecting debts that aren't yours.I have to say that all the bailifs I have known are nice people doing a difficult job :shrug:

papa smurf
15-05-2007, 20:08
I have to say that all the bailifs I have known are nice people doing a difficult job :shrug:

i bet someone said that about hitler:shrug:

Russ
15-05-2007, 20:16
i bet someone said that about hitler:shrug:

As much as I dislike bailiffs, that was a pretty harsh comparison.

AntiSilence
15-05-2007, 22:49
I have to say that all the bailifs I have known are nice people doing a difficult job :shrug:

It's just the ones that try to do things they know they're not legally allowed to do, trying to scaring little old ladies into paying someone else's debt by telling them that they'll take her TV and washing machine away.

rogerdraig
15-05-2007, 22:58
get in touch with C.A.B. If they cant help they should be able to suggest a solicitor who does first session free

homealone
15-05-2007, 23:24
get in touch with C.A.B. If they cant help they should be able to suggest a solicitor who does first session free

Good advice, afaik :)

Minbu
15-05-2007, 23:51
Have a look here: http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bailiffs/

Some very useful info.

Mr Angry
15-05-2007, 23:59
For the past 3 or so months Philips have been sending letters to my house for a ccompletely different person.I have rang them every time and they say someone will have to verify it.

A bailiff did attend my house and I showed him my Tenancy, Council Tax statement and provisional driving licence. I then got another letter after that stating a bailiff would be visiting my house to get money owed by this other person. So I rang them up again. They said the bailiff probaly never got around to telling them this person never lived there yet. Great I thought.

Today after getting home from work I found a envelope and on it is a stamp saying delivered by hand. I knew what it was because this person only has one letter and its from the bailiffs.

I opened and the letter states

"If you fail to make immediate payment we may re-attend your premises with a locksmith to remove any levied goods even in your absence"

Now I dont wanna come home to a empty house for a debt thats not even mine. The person has the same initials as me but thats it.

Any advice?

If you want help drop me a pm with all the details. Is / was this other person financially connected to you in any way?

valor
16-05-2007, 00:43
Bailiffs must enter the premises peacfully, they cannot force entry they can only enter through an open/unlocked door or window, once in they will make a walking possession, (make a list of goods to remove at a later date). Once they make a walking possession you must let them in on next visits.
Its Simple.. DO NOT let them in! they cannot do anything about it.

Central
16-05-2007, 09:51
If you want help drop me a pm with all the details. Is / was this other person financially connected to you in any way?

I have never heard of this person. No idea who it is.:confused:

handyman
16-05-2007, 10:03
Bailiffs must enter the premises peacfully, they cannot force entry they can only enter through an open/unlocked door or window, once in they will make a walking possession, (make a list of goods to remove at a later date). Once they make a walking possession you must let them in on next visits.
Its Simple.. DO NOT let them in! they cannot do anything about it.

I've always thought that baliffs are closet vampires as they are not allowed to enter you house unless you ask them in also.

Fingy
16-05-2007, 12:35
I'd second talking to Mr A, he knows what he is talking about... well usually. ;)

Julian
16-05-2007, 12:55
Just a quick point, be careful about admitting that you have opened mail addressed to someone else. ;)

Return to sender may have been prudent. :)

Chrysalis
16-05-2007, 16:07
I am often getting letters for different names at my address for unpaid debts. Are they all previous tenants? if yes there must be high turnover here before I moved in.

Also had a court threatening letter over a powergen bill I paid 3 months ago, I rang them and told them if they proceed i will sue for waste of my time so they put it on hold and said they would contact powergen to confirm I paid. :)

Russ
16-05-2007, 16:10
A lot of the time I feel bailiffs have heard every story under the sun so perhaps that's why they rarely seem to take your protests seriously.

Ignatius
16-05-2007, 16:19

I'm no lawyer, but i would expect that

1) Entering your premises (even with the assistance of a locksmith) to remove property which is rightfully yours is otherwise known as breaking and entering

2) Arranging with others to do so sounds like conspiracy to commit a crime

3) Writing to you and telling you that they intend to do so suggests abusive or threatening behaviour.

Sounds like you need to get a solicitor's letter to them asap, pointing out that if they continue harrassing you in this manner, you will have no option but to apply for a restraining order.

Oh, and you opened the letter which was not addressed to you - in order to discover if there was a return to sender address.

Shaun
16-05-2007, 16:25

The resident legal eagle :D

AntiSilence
16-05-2007, 16:29
3) Writing to you and telling you that they intend to do so suggests abusive or threatening behaviour.

They legally have to write to you and inform you of the intended visit (apart from the ones who are acting for a court fine or council tax for example).

Ignatius
16-05-2007, 16:48
They legally have to write to you and inform you of the intended visit (apart from the ones who are acting for a court fine or council tax for example).

Quite possibly, if the visit were valid.

However, if they have no legal entitlement to enter your property and are writing to tell you they're going to do so anyway.......

Central
16-05-2007, 17:52
Just a quick point, be careful about admitting that you have opened mail addressed to someone else. ;)

Return to sender may have been prudent. :)

In America it is a federal offence to open any mail or packages that don't belong to you, by accident or not I have heard that they can get quite ****y over it over there.

In the UK it is illegal to open mail for someone else, but after a few searches on google I find there are loopholes in this (from what I read)

Where Bailifs etc are concerned you can open the mail IF you know for certain that the mail is from a bailif company. You can do this to get their name/number/address to inform them the person they are looking for no longer resides at your address. This is to stop any upset and damage toyour property. From what I can see you may only open 1 letter and forward the rest back. And rather than just putting "Addresse no longer here" add something like "you have been informed this person is no longer at this address, please as requested remove this address from your mailing list."

After this if they don't stop sending the mail and you get sick of returning letters you can ask the post office to return them before they get posted to you.

If they still don't stop then take them all to a solicitor who CAN open them and get them to deal with it.

AntiSilence
16-05-2007, 19:09
Quite possibly, if the visit were valid.

http://www.insolvencyhelpline.co.uk/debt_basics/bailiff-guide.htm#bg14

Fingy
16-05-2007, 21:20

The one who has assited loads of people with re-claiming their bank cards and helped me out with getting Harveys to actually get round to delivering me furniture. He knows his stuff, and works for Strongbow! ;)

Russ
16-05-2007, 21:26
OK have IQs suddenly dropped since I've been away?

Be* isn't asking who Mr Angry is - read the last few words of the question Be* is responding to!!

Fingy
16-05-2007, 21:31
Well bite me for being human, rather insulting Russ.

Russ
16-05-2007, 21:33
Ah zippit Disney bird, I'm only pulling yer plonker :D

Nidge
18-05-2007, 00:33

Easy mate, he's got nothing to worry about the debt is not in his name, talking like that won't help people.

Shaun
20-05-2007, 05:18
OK have IQs suddenly dropped since I've been away?

Be* isn't asking who Mr Angry is - read the last few words of the question Be* is responding to!!

I see where you're coming from, if Be* has no idea who he*+* is then why is he opening his*+* post??

:monkey::monkey:

---------- Post added at 05:18 ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 ----------

BTW, my IQ is as low as it ever was!!

Central
20-05-2007, 21:14
I see where you're coming from, if Be* has no idea who he*+* is then why is he opening his*+* post??

:monkey::monkey:

---------- Post added at 05:18 ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 ----------

BTW, my IQ is as low as it ever was!!

Perhaps you should read this post

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34306131-post28.html

Shaun
21-05-2007, 21:31
I was pointing out how ambiguous the post was. :dozey: :)

vbnmu
22-05-2007, 00:58
I am often getting letters for different names at my address for unpaid debts. Are they all previous tenants? if yes there must be high turnover here before I moved in.

Also had a court threatening letter over a powergen bill I paid 3 months ago, I rang them and told them if they proceed i will sue for waste of my time so they put it on hold and said they would contact powergen to confirm I paid. :)
I just moved into new my house and found out that previous the owner had closed his gas account 5 months prior to moving out!.
My electricity bill has the correct start date but i was never informed about the gas acc situation when i called to open it in the first place!
I was rather angry when i got a bill that didn't make sense.Called Npower n now they are trying to stick that on me and they've asked me to send mortgage papers to confirm dates. I told the lady that its down to her and Npower to sort the mess out and am not sending any papers. I wasn't informed in the first place and am not going to be wasting my time on somebody else's mistake! Still haven't heard anything!

sssshhhh
22-05-2007, 12:23
I had a letter back last year requesting payment for a gas/leccy bill at an old address. the dates of the bill were a year after I moved out of the property, and I was actually in credit when I left, and know of at least 2 tennants who had lived there from the date I moved out to the date on the bill. i sent in letter from my landlord dated when my contract ended and that was that. NO. I had another phone call a few weeks ago from the same company. This time the gent insisted that I had to pay the bill even though this time he couldn't even give me a date for when the bill was supposedly from. I gave a little chuckle and asked him would he pay £200 to someone who rang him out of the blue asking for payment for a bill which they couldn't provide dates for and if he already had provided proof a year prior that he wasn't living at the address. There was a long pause and he said he would ring me back with dates. Haven't heard a dicky bird since. No phone call, no letters. Hopefully they will now leave me alone (although I'm not holding my breath)