PDA

View Full Version : Rat droppings found in bread ?

The Jackal
15-05-2007, 11:22
My missus is an expert on knowing what rat droppings look having spent most of her life in the rat infested Camden Town area of London.

So embedded in a slice of bread she noticed a rat dropping.

I believe her - so what now - Food standards ?

The other thing is that we think it originated from the floor pre-baking. If so could the dropping have remained intact after the bake ?

I wouldn't have bothered with it but am a little cheesed off as myself, wife and baby have had slices from the same loaf :mad:

It's my son I am concerned about otherwise I wouldn't be so vexed. :(

Nugget
15-05-2007, 11:26
Well, you either contact the manufacturer (if it's branded), or the store where you bought it (if it's an own brand).

If you really want to take it further, I'd suggest contacting your local Environmental Health department - they can get in touch with the manufacturers local office and start the investigation for you.

HTH :tu:

EDIT: Thinking on, when I worked in Consumer Services, we'd regularly get complaints of droppings on coatings that had been through a frier. Every single time, the 'foreign body' turned out to be debris from the frier :shrug:

Where did you buy the loaf from?

The Jackal
15-05-2007, 11:38
EDIT: Thinking on, when I worked in Consumer Services, we'd regularly get complaints of droppings on coatings that had been through a frier. Every single time, the 'foreign body' turned out to be debris from the frier :shrug:

Where did you buy the loaf from?

Thanks for the info nugget.

Bought the loaf from Sainsburys (not their brand) but this ' defect ' is definitely at the production level.

Interesting what you said about fryer debris but seriously my missus is the expert and she was definitely positive as to what it was. If it were me I wouldn't know :shrug:

I'll think I'll get it tested.

Nugget
15-05-2007, 11:41
Thanks for the info nugget.

Bought the loaf from Sainsburys (not their brand) but this ' defect ' is definitely at the production level.

Interesting what you said about fryer debris but seriously my missus is the expert and she was definitely positive as to what it was. If it were me I wouldn't know :shrug:

I'll think I'll get it tested.

Oh absolutely - I only used the frier debris as an example of how we (as consumers) can assume that something's worse than it actually is :)

To be honest, I think you're doing the best thing - even where I am now, we always advise consumers to take issues such as this to Environmental Health. Nine times out of ten, they can conduct a much more thorough investiagation than we could anyway :)

orangebird
15-05-2007, 11:59
I'm curious - how do you become an expert in animal faeces?

Xaccers
15-05-2007, 12:01
I'm curious - how do you become an expert in animal faeces?

You live in a rat infested part of Camden Town, and see lots of rat droppings.

Halcyon
15-05-2007, 12:07
Take it back to Sainsbury's so they can know there is a problem.
If they are like Tesco, they will refund you and give you either another product or some money compensation.

Xaccers
15-05-2007, 12:12
If they are like Tesco, they will refund you and give you either another product or some money compensation.

And then fine the supplier £27K
If memory serves, that was the deal with the salad producers I worked for between them and Tesco.

Find a fingernail in the packed salad, take it back to Tesco, they appologies, give you £20 of Tesco vouchers etc, then fine the supplier thousands of pounds.

Nugget
15-05-2007, 12:48

And then fine the supplier £27K
If memory serves, that was the deal with the salad producers I worked for between them and Tesco.

Find a fingernail in the packed salad, take it back to Tesco, they appologies, give you £20 of Tesco vouchers etc, then fine the supplier thousands of pounds.

That pretty much covers it - let's be honest. seeing as it's a branded product, Sainsbury probably aren't that fussed. They can quite easily point out that it's not actually their product :shrug:

Mind you, Xaccers has got it spot on - how else would Tesco be in a position where, on paper, their profit equals one pound in every eight spent?

The Jackal
15-05-2007, 12:54
pants we were already planning on what to do with the settlement money. ;)

LOL just kidding its not about the money or even going down that route (we are at least British not Americans (yet ?) :)) it's more about the principle of buying food stuff with peace of mind in terms of its quality and origin.