PDA

View Full Version : The Girlfriends Cat

TheBlueRaja
15-05-2007, 08:46
Ok, so i've been going out with this girl for about a year and everything is going well except one thing - the cat.

She has a Siamese cat, that's important apparently, as it means they are not normally as well behaved as other cats.

The trouble is she likes to have it next to her in bed at night, she always has done and fair enough i didnt mind all that much as it didnt bother me.

However recently, say the last couple of months, its habits have changed and now at around 6am every morning it starts to miow and as soon as it starts she jumps up and goes and feeds it, 5 minutes later it comes back into the room jumps back into bed and starts purring away, all content.

The problem i have with this is that i get interrupted sleep, she is also complaining of always being tired and refuses to believe its anything to do with the cat, even though i saw her chasing the cat around the room at 5:30 am the other morning after it started to play up (5 minutes later it wanted fed).

This is starting to cause a bit of a rift now, i think she should either train it better (apparently Siamese cats don't train though) and putting the cat out of the room is out of the question according to her. So i get get the tough line, which quite frankly has fecked me off a bit and im starting to think i would rather be at home than round there so i can sleep properly.

So - the question - am i being unreasonable here in asking her to do something about it? Should i ask her to keep it out of the room at night or should i get her to train it properly (none of these things interests her)?

Or should i stay home a few nights and get her to think about it - just her and the cat?

I should add as it is relevant, that we are going on holiday for 2 weeks at the start of June and I really want to enjoy this.

Paul K
15-05-2007, 08:55
Shot of gin in the cat's water bowl?

Russ
15-05-2007, 08:56
Of course you're not being unreasonable but a woman with a cat will never see it that way.

Damien
15-05-2007, 08:59
Yeah, I wouldnt keep pushing the issue. Your not being unreasonable but it seems a silly thing to cause rift/trouble.

joglynne
15-05-2007, 09:09
If you want to keep your gf don't criticize her cat. :angel:

Seriously, Siamese cats are extremely demanding and can be an absolute nightmare, or joy, depending if you can live with them or not. Have a think about an automatic feeder.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/category.asp?dept_id=322

Some emit a noise when they open, which, with a cat as intelligent as the Siamese, should draw him away from the bedroom for his early morning feed. If you do get one be diplomatic. Don't give it to the gf, she may see it as a criticism, wrap it up with a big bow and give it to the cat. Siamese love ribbon:D

altis
15-05-2007, 09:12
Time for a new GF ;)

TheBlueRaja
15-05-2007, 09:18
If you want to keep your gf don't criticize her cat. :angel:

Seriously, Siamese cats are extremely demanding and can be an absolute nightmare, or joy, depending if you can live with them or not. Have a think about an automatic feeder.

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/category.asp?dept_id=322

Some emit a noise when they open, which, with a cat as intelligent as the Siamese, should draw him away from the bedroom for his early morning feed. If you do get one be diplomatic. Don't give it to the gf, she may see it as a criticism, wrap it up with a big bow and give it to the cat. Siamese love ribbon:D

Now there is somebody who knows exactly what they are talking about, that could be the ideal solution and it sounds like you have some experience too as that cats a pain and loves ribbons.

I will look into the feeder - many thanks! :tu:

brundles
15-05-2007, 09:19
As joglynne says they're extremely demanding. And it's one of our 2 siamese rather than the other 8 cats that's there at 5:30 every morning being pain. It might be worth trying to automated food bowl, but don't be surprised if he does something else to wake you up purely to get attention (poking you in the eye to wake you up or trampling over your head for example!)

One thing you could try is getting some toys laced with catnip for him to play with late at night. If you make sure he's knackered then he won't be bothered to wind you up in the morning.

I can't see you winning the debate over the cat to be honest - but it might be possible to work around the little git.

TheBlueRaja
15-05-2007, 09:24
As joglynne says they're extremely demanding. And it's one of our 2 siamese rather than the other 8 cats that's there at 5:30 every morning being pain. It might be worth trying to automated food bowl, but don't be surprised if he does something else to wake you up purely to get attention (poking you in the eye to wake you up or trampling over your head for example!)

One thing you could try is getting some toys laced with catnip for him to play with late at night. If you make sure he's knackered then he won't be bothered to wind you up in the morning.

I can't see you winning the debate over the cat to be honest - but it might be possible to work around the little git.

Yeah, im resigned to it to be honest.

Can anyone recommend a cat feeder that pings?

DES_1001
15-05-2007, 09:29
well not being a cat lover myself, if all else fails you could "lose it!" cats do have a habit of wandering off!
I now await the out cry from people "don't do it" but it's an option.

TheBlueRaja
15-05-2007, 09:35
well not being a cat lover myself, if all else fails you could "lose it!" cats do have a habit of wandering off!
I now await the out cry from people "don't do it" but it's an option.

Its a house cat... ;)

DES_1001
15-05-2007, 09:41
how about a left open window by mistake, "he little bugger just got out" lol

TheBlueRaja
15-05-2007, 09:51
Got it one of these:-

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cat_accessories/cat_bowls_feeders/feeders/30310

£26.99 (with new cust discount) sounds a small price to pay for a bit of sleep...

Never EVER get a Siamese cat.

gazzae
15-05-2007, 09:51
My gf has a lovely pussy....

handyman
15-05-2007, 09:53
Our cat sleeps 95% of the day. Not that thats any use to you but I just thought I'd rub it in ;-)

fireman328
15-05-2007, 09:53
Shot of gin in the cat's water bowl?

It would be better with a shot of lead in its earhole :)

brundles
15-05-2007, 15:31
Never EVER get a Siamese cat.
Frustrating as the interrupted sleep can be (believe me, I know!), if that's the worst he's doing you're getting off lightly. :D

I think the best description I've heard of a Siamese being is "permanently on your case"!

TheBlueRaja
15-05-2007, 15:33
Frustrating as the interrupted sleep can be (believe me, I know!), if that's the worst he's doing you're getting off lightly. :D

I think the best description I've heard of a Siamese being is "permanently on your case"!

In all honesty, i dont mind the cat, its not that bad a cat, in fact it can be quite nice.

Its just that it makes a frikking fuss at 6 am and that's not a problem according to the misses (who admittedly does see to its needs).

superbiatch
15-05-2007, 15:53
If its as demanding as you say, i don't really see how the feeder will help (although great inventions!) :dozey:

It seems your GF is in a routine which she see can't see any harm in, the cat is more than happy - in fact there's only you who isn't. I think the cat will continue to wake you both in the morning, even if its just to 'tell you' he's off downstairs for his food.

TheBlueRaja
15-05-2007, 15:55
If its as demanding as you say, i don't really see how the feeder will help (although great inventions!) :dozey:

It seems your GF is in a routine which she see can't see any harm in, the cat is more than happy - in fact there's only you who isn't. I think the cat will continue to wake you both in the morning, even if its just to 'tell you' he's off downstairs for his food.

Yeah, probably, still, i can but try...

superbiatch
15-05-2007, 15:58
Yeah, probably, still, i can but try...

Good luck hun :erm:

I've got every sympathy for ya, i've got an 8 year old staffie who thinks he's a little boy :rolleyes:

rogerdraig
15-05-2007, 16:12
yep she should have got you a bed in the spare room by now ;)

coming between a person and their pet is always a way of causing a disaster

joglynne
15-05-2007, 16:15
Des 1001 and Fireman.
I'll be keeping an eye on you in future. https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/05/8.gif

TheBlueRaja, I hope it does work. As long as you know the cat has food and water available you will just have to cultivate the ability to turn over and go back to sleep. I understand that most men find that skill comes very easily:D

ikthius
15-05-2007, 17:19
My gf has a lovely pussy....

the only kind i like :erm: :D

ik

DES_1001
15-05-2007, 18:03
watching me! oh oh

greencreeper
15-05-2007, 18:56
Do you love her enough to tolerate the cat? Does she love you more than the cat? These are the questions. There's no point continuing with a relationship where you play second fiddle to a cat, you resent the cat but tolerate it because you were daft enough to fall in love in the first place, or are too wuss to end it.

D_Skids
15-05-2007, 18:56
It would be better with a shot of lead in its earhole :)

PMSL :D

That cat feeder you bought looks good but I didn't think cats would be able to read an LCD display!

How about this.

http://www.worth1000.com/entries/241500/241844yfHD_w.jpg

TheBlueRaja
15-05-2007, 19:31
Do you love her enough to tolerate the cat? Does she love you more than the cat? These are the questions. There's no point continuing with a relationship where you play second fiddle to a cat, you resent the cat but tolerate it because you were daft enough to fall in love in the first place, or are too wuss to end it.

A cat is just a cat, dont read too much into it.

brundles
15-05-2007, 19:47
Des 1001 and Fireman.
I'll be keeping an eye on you in future. https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/05/8.gif

TheBlueRaja, I hope it does work. As long as you know the cat has food and water available you will just have to cultivate the ability to turn over and go back to sleep. I understand that most men find that skill comes very easily:D
It's actually reached the point with ours I can come down stairs, feed them and go back up to bed pretty much without waking up. Sleep walking - that's the key :D

Taf
15-05-2007, 20:13
Get a dry cat biscuit dispenser and leave it where it will have access..... fresh water will be essential daily...

greencreeper
15-05-2007, 22:37
A cat is just a cat, dont read too much into it.
Maybe. But sometimes it's the little things that are the most illuminating.

tweetypie/8
21-05-2007, 08:43
Ok, so i've been going out with this girl for about a year and everything is going well except one thing - the cat.

She has a Siamese cat, that's important apparently, as it means they are not normally as well behaved as other cats.

The trouble is she likes to have it next to her in bed at night, she always has done and fair enough i didnt mind all that much as it didnt bother me.

However recently, say the last couple of months, its habits have changed and now at around 6am every morning it starts to miow and as soon as it starts she jumps up and goes and feeds it, 5 minutes later it comes back into the room jumps back into bed and starts purring away, all content.

The problem i have with this is that i get interrupted sleep, she is also complaining of always being tired and refuses to believe its anything to do with the cat, even though i saw her chasing the cat around the room at 5:30 am the other morning after it started to play up (5 minutes later it wanted fed).

This is starting to cause a bit of a rift now, i think she should either train it better (apparently Siamese cats don't train though) and putting the cat out of the room is out of the question according to her. So i get get the tough line, which quite frankly has fecked me off a bit and im starting to think i would rather be at home than round there so i can sleep properly.

So - the question - am i being unreasonable here in asking her to do something about it? Should i ask her to keep it out of the room at night or should i get her to train it properly (none of these things interests her)?

Or should i stay home a few nights and get her to think about it - just her and the cat?

I should add as it is relevant, that we are going on holiday for 2 weeks at the start of June and I really want to enjoy this.

give it a good toe up the h**E:disturbd:

DocDutch
21-05-2007, 09:13
heard that a water pistol works alright ;) nothing to drastic :P

Hugh
21-05-2007, 09:27
To some people, pets are like their children, with all the emotional baggage that entails.

As previous posters have said - roll over, go back to sleep; you'll get used to it.

orangebird
21-05-2007, 10:02
I think you may have wasted your money pon the timer feeder thing.... Siamese are desperate attention seekers, it's highly unlikely that it is actually hungry when it wakes you both up. It's just their make up, they like attention and will do anything to get it.

And to all those with the 'funny' advice - Never under estimate the relationship between a woman and her cat. If my husband so much as dared to raise a finger or a foot, or even contemplated using a water pistol on my cat (when she was here :( ), I'd have booted his **** out of the house, not the cats!