PDA

View Full Version : Multiplayer Ping

ali2487
14-05-2007, 13:52
I have recently been getting pings of 2000+ on game servers which were fine before VM took over. The ping jumps so i almost never get a stable ping anymore...sometimes its ok but every map i play i always get jumping pings....

i have a friend on VM and he seems to be fine :(

any ideas how to fix?

Scrubbs
14-05-2007, 14:20
have you searched the forum?

ali2487
14-05-2007, 15:35
i have tried but its mostly spam....im sure this will be regarded as that soon too but i just wanted to find out if others are having same/similar probs raelly

Mcshane123
14-05-2007, 16:57
Virgin Media are a piece of **** for gaming mate, just change ISP's they'll lose enough customers soon enough to realize and do something about it

LemonyBrainAid
14-05-2007, 17:05
Virgin Media are a piece of **** for gaming mate, just change ISP's they'll lose enough customers soon enough to realize and do something about it
:tu:

My WoW problems are endless.

AntiSilence
14-05-2007, 17:06

I've been having ping problems in BF2 since about Feb this year. I got the game in November last year and it was all fine. And I am still getting ping problems.

Never used to though. I know it's not my end.

ali2487
14-05-2007, 17:13
i share the same probs it was fine till the "name change" the worst thing is if the ping was a steady one then i could learn to play with it but it jumps like a WHORE from 150 to like 2000+ (yes not a typo 2000+) and i am useless for the 5 mins it ****es around and then sets back down to normal :( if any VM reps read these damn forums tell your retard managers to do something about it! the other thing is the VM's service is very reliable so i am wary of changing but seeing as i only use my internet to game it might just slightly sway me towards leaving as i have a rolling contract i could leave today (H)

AntiSilence
14-05-2007, 17:18
Yep. I don't know exactly what changed when it became VM (if anything) but that is around when my BF2 pings went bad.

It's getting silly now as I'm 10Mb. Browsing and HTTP file downloads are fine, speed tests seem ok. I've even monitored my incoming and outgoing usage while playing BF2 - all looks fine. Yet the ping still jumps all over the place.

soup dragon
14-05-2007, 17:23
i may be wrong(normally are!) but i don't think your download speed has anything to do with your ping. i started playing counterstrike on a dial up modem, then 512, then 1meg, then 4meg, my ping is always around 30-40, no matter what the speed test results are, your ping depends on the distance the information travels to the game server and back. in my experience it is the routing that causes bad ping.

Mcshane123
14-05-2007, 18:15
I think it's more to do with how conjested your UBR is, and contention ratios etc. I've just rang NTL/Virgin and an Indian guy said something along the lines of, budda bud bing a ding, currently nationwide network upgrades and services will be back to normal for gaming, in the next few days.

It does say on the Service status page they are doing alot of Network 'Improvements' in areas this week, so who knows

SnoopZ
14-05-2007, 18:18
I get a ping of 15 on BF2 on a UK server and it's constant.

blade85
14-05-2007, 18:40
similar to snoopz

15-20 ping in Bf2142 on UK servers.

On UT2004 however its slightly higher at 28-40 going upto 50 on some euro servers.

AndyIggs83
14-05-2007, 18:44

same here on most of the online games i play

AntiSilence
14-05-2007, 21:16

That's what I used to get before Feb. When it's not jumping about all over the place, it's around 17-25. And that's UK servers (including my clan Rackage BF2 one).

ali2487
14-05-2007, 23:18
budda bud bing a ding

roflmfao!!!!!

wow you guys are lucky i play UT99 mostly its the best game ever lets not get into that debate lol yes its usually the route to the server i used to ping 120-150 and i was kickin ass now it pings 170+ and it jumps so basically u cant get used to bullsnot and am literally fooked it was fine till VM came in :s coincidence? o btw VM? why didnt u just stay the fcuk out?

myriauk
14-05-2007, 23:25
I play World of Warcraft on the Frostmane realm (based in Sweden) and 'normally' I would get a ping/ms of 100-200 but recently I've seen them hit over 1000-2000 at times. However if i changed to the Aggramar realm (not sure where its' based) but had a constant ms of low 30's.

So it's definately a routing issue somewhere

ali2487
14-05-2007, 23:29
it VM fo sho those retards come in for 5 mins and they totally fook the best ISP up asswipes fix it do those VM peeps read this forums? who regulates forums? VM?

Will21st
15-05-2007, 00:00
I've been having ping problems in BF2 since about Feb this year. I got the game in November last year and it was all fine. And I am still getting ping problems.

Never used to though. I know it's not my end.

Mate,i've got exactlythe same problem,myBF 2 ping is just cr*p.... i have to connect to various maps to finally find one with a decent ping.
I rang CS and they told me that it was because i play on US servers,too far away in his opinion,too many hops. However i have a bad ping on EU servers as well,so what the heck....????:td:

ali2487
15-05-2007, 09:59
i have been playing on US servers for a little over a year everything was fine until VM poked their noses in :(

Will21st
15-05-2007, 17:19
i have been playing on US servers for a little over a year everything was fine until VM poked their noses in :(

Well,one thing is quite clear: ever since NTL/Telewest became VM,something went wtong with their Internet services... and don't get me wrong,i ain't bitchin'cause i have very little probs with my services,however iDO believe that VM needs to make some serious investments in crucialareas of their business.
If they wanted to,they could wipe the floor with Sky,but that would take the will and proper investment..... so let's hope they will wakeup soon!!:sleep:

JackSon
15-05-2007, 17:51
it was fine till VM came in :s coincidence? o btw VM? why didnt u just stay out?

It is still the same company, ran by the same people as it was before. All that happened was NTL bought along with Virgin Mobile the right to the Virgin branding. Asking Virgin Media to get out is an irrelevant statement as no new management moved in - it is still NTL/Telewest in terms of operation and structure.

Russ
15-05-2007, 18:35
Some complaints have come in about language used in this thread, please keep it civil...

ali2487
15-05-2007, 20:13
am sorry about getin ma undies in a twist over this and the use of french here too but i only use ma internet for gaming and am very upset cos these problems been occuring since VM dont get me wrong either the service is VERY reliable has only gone wrong twice in two years of service but since VM things have been going downhill :(

_ST
15-05-2007, 20:58
I am also getting very tired of this my ping is useless not even worth bothering playing online with, my download speeds were ok but now they are suffering too. Really poor service and you do not get any help, they blame the pc constantly even when when they know it is their networks fault.

ali2487
16-05-2007, 14:10
how can it be the PC's fault? :S if the download bandwidth is there the PC is unlimited to how fast in can download......also whenever i call them they give me a link that i type in to check the dload speed which is obviously on one of their servers which means the speed will be next to none at dload...they think they clever but not really im thinkin of uncapping my modem lol