PDA

View Full Version : contention ratio

mam
14-05-2007, 12:46
Hello I'm Mike and this is my first thread.:)

I recently transfered from Bt B/B to Vigin,their 10mb service.

Like most ISP's download speed varies depending on the time of day,how busy the servers are etc etc.

So I have been informed,this is due to contention ratio .

It is possible for Virgin Media to adjust the contention ratio in my favour.If they can not,is there anything I can do.

Pc specs....

Due Core 6600 2.5gz 2mb of ram xp media edition.

Thank you fro taking the time to read my very first thread.

Cheers,Mike;)

Nedkelly
14-05-2007, 12:55
Hi and welcome to the site .The contention ratio is down to the number if you on the ubr and which card you are on .I am afaraid if there is a problem you have to wait untils they do a reseg on the ubr to balance the load on the card / ubr .It can take them a while to do this so all i can say is to hang in there :)

mam
15-05-2007, 00:17
Hello Nedkelly,thanks for your reply.If you don't mind could you please explain....ubr, which card and reseg.Cheers

EssDee
15-05-2007, 09:32
UBR - Universal broadband router - a router within the Virgin network that numerous customers in your area connect to for onward connection to the internet. These consist of multiple cards that should be equally utilised so that the load is shared.
Reseg - Resegmentation is the process of changing connections around at the UBR to better balance connections to improve performance. From what I understand, not something that happens too often.

The above is what I have picked up from the informed members of this forum. If I am way off, somebody will say. Hope it helps anyway.

Cheers