PDA

View Full Version : Internet Cutouts

Kreiger
13-05-2007, 19:52
Hey,

I've had it, more often recently, where my internet just cuts out. To solve this problem, i go to my set-top box and reboot, problem solved!... until the next time.

What i'm asking is; Is this a set-top box fault, or (and i'm still researching this) is it a intentional cut-off from too much use at once.

I am a pretty heavy downloader, but not all the time, and i have 2 active computers on my connection. I have noticed it go off when i haven't been heavily downloading, and sometimes it will be fine.
For example if i leave bittorrents running all night, most nights they're fine, even the fast ones.

I am pretty certain this is NOT related to speed shaping, from which i notice no issue whatsoever

thanks,

---
Kreiger

Paul K
13-05-2007, 19:56
Your STB is probably not coping with the demand you put it under when you hammer your connection. Complain to VM that your box is constantly having to be rebooted and ask if a SACM would be a possibility. What speed are you on?

diddy1
13-05-2007, 21:14
Your STB is probably not coping with the demand you put it under when you hammer your connection. Complain to VM that your box is constantly having to be rebooted and ask if a SACM would be a possibility. What speed are you on?

Yes Do As Paul advised i had to do the same 3 weeks ago,they came and installed a SACM, apart from speed issues every thing is ok, no moere rebooting of the box, just one word of warning, if you have the modem fitted makes sure you ring and get the account for the STB cancelled, or you could end up paying for 2 internet accounts.

Kreiger
13-05-2007, 21:50
that doesn't sound bad actually. I'll do that. I'm on 1Mb btw, sorting out 2Mb after my other thread.

I guess that means my TV will be seperate from the Broadband, does it also mean that i get the benefits that SACM users get, such as online/instant upgrades, etc?

Paul K
13-05-2007, 21:54
Aye, if you can get a SACM it makes things a lot easier. The also handle higher speeds.

Nedkelly
13-05-2007, 22:06
SACM are a lot better than bb through a set top .We never went down this road in this aera