PDA

View Full Version : Wet or Dry Shave

privateb
13-05-2007, 19:23
Hello Guys I am fed up of wet shaving the irritation and cuts so am thinking abouth buying an electric dry shaver This one http://www.johnlewis.com/Shopping/Product.aspx?Type=SKU&ID=230211921&source=12021
And was just wandering if any one else uses it and what they think?
And also do you get a smoother shave than you do with wet shaving?

THanks

Russ
13-05-2007, 19:29
Dry shaving will never give you a cut as close as a wet - all electric razors have a thin film which will ensure it'll fall short, although they are often very close.

LSainsbury
13-05-2007, 19:33
Hasn't this been discussed many times before?

Paul K
13-05-2007, 19:35
Quatro titanium + shaving oil = no irritation for me and believe me my skin irritates easily.

homealone
13-05-2007, 19:39
Hasn't this been discussed many times before?

I think it has, although more in a peachey style 'what do you use & why?' than about a specific electric razor.

For my 2p I find that using a brush & decent shaving soap results in far less irritation than any other method I've tried for wet shaving - and I can't remember the last time I cut myself.

I found an electric razor to be much more irritating, than wet shaving, but that may not be the same for everyone :)

Paul K
13-05-2007, 19:43
I paid a lot of money for an electric shaver a while back and I've never had so much irritation in my life :( Went back to wet shave and blades very quickly. I use something similar to this (http://www.quattrotitanium.co.uk/energy) now and it's very good.

Scrubbs
13-05-2007, 19:45
I like to use Occams, less things to go wrong :)

( I have a beard :D:D )

devil
13-05-2007, 19:48
Gillette shaving foam, Mach III - Turbo, Hugo Boss after shave. Best a man can get (and a woman too ;) )

homealone
13-05-2007, 19:50
I like to use Occams, less things to go wrong :)

( I have a beard :D:D )

:LOL: doesn't mean it is less likely to go wrong - just that there is a simple explanation, when it does ;) :D

Halcyon
13-05-2007, 20:08
I find electric shavers arent as close and smooth as manual.
Sure, they are good as they take less time and you don't need to get all wet, but I prefer manual.

I normally always do a wet shave and then if I really have time will do it twice to feel really smooth.

Mr_love_monkey
13-05-2007, 20:12
I normally always do a wet shave and then if I really have time will do it twice to feel really smooth.

Ouch! I can feel myself blistering just at the thought of shaving twice in one day...

I have very sensitive skin, used an electric razor for a while, which made shaving a nightmare - so I stick to wet shave, a sensitive gel and a mach 3 razor, which makes it bearable.

I'm a bit stuffed really - shaving irritates my skin, but so does any hair growth - which is why i eventually decided to get rid of my goatee

Ramrod
13-05-2007, 20:19
I use a Gillette 'Sensor' razor and water.
Stopped using foam, gel or oil a couple of years ago and found that I could get a much closer shave with far less irritation and no nicks that way. Takes a bit of getting used to but you really don't need anything other than a razor and water......

Halcyon
13-05-2007, 21:23
I use the Gilette sensitive skin shaving gel.

I also get this balm that I buy in France made by Menin with aloe vera that is very good after you've shaved.
Aftershave fragrances just sting me.

homealone
13-05-2007, 22:20
I use a Gillette 'Sensor' razor and water.
Stopped using foam, gel or oil a couple of years ago and found that I could get a much closer shave with far less irritation and no nicks that way. Takes a bit of getting used to but you really don't need anything other than a razor and water......

true, but you need a new blade, sooner - oh the cost, these days ;)

I use the Gilette sensitive skin shaving gel.

I also get this balm that I buy in France made by Menin with aloe vera that is very good after you've shaved.
Aftershave fragrances just sting me.

aftershave doesn't make sense, to me, either, well the alcohol based ones, anyway, why try & protect your skin while you slice the hairs off, only to dehydrate it, afterwards? ...

greencreeper
13-05-2007, 22:23
I use a Philips electric shaver - a bit like this one, only with two heads. It uses little packets of shaving gel or cream. Works for me

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4427366.htm

Nedkelly
13-05-2007, 22:27
The best shave i have had was in London with a cut throat razor in a old barbour shop with hot towels on your face .It was'nt cheap but hey my cousin was paying :)

danielf
13-05-2007, 22:49
I've never tried electric. I usually shave whilst in the shower. Water and electricity don't combine very well imo. Gillette Mach3 and standard Gillette foam for me.

greencreeper
13-05-2007, 23:12
The Philips one I mentioned can be run under the tap quite safely :)

Druchii
13-05-2007, 23:17
Wilkinson Sword Quattro Titanium here, and Gillete Mach 3 shaving gel usually :)

That or a Remington SF 4 when i can't be bothered to et wet etc...

And a tip to all those having problems cleaning the Titanium Quattro blades, or indeed any other hard to clean blade... Use an old toothbrush under the tap :)

Stephen
14-05-2007, 00:26
I did try an electric but it was never as close as a wet shave. So changed back.

Wilkinson Sword Quattro and Mach III Gel.

Followed by Nivea After Shave Balm as I have sensitive skin and it really helps.

absthechatter
14-05-2007, 10:10
I much prefer a wet shave but will have electric if I have to! I alsways use 'Tend Skin' afterwards though, best shaving product I have ever used. Stings when you use it, but stops ingrowing hairs, and completely gets rid of redness on my neck, which I used to suffer really badly from!

Abs

Xaccers
14-05-2007, 10:28
Get really bad razor burn from electrics, so always a wet shave for me. Normally in the shower, sometimes use shaving oil, but normally just water.

Stuart
14-05-2007, 10:38
I've never tried electric. I usually shave whilst in the shower. Water and electricity don't combine very well imo. Gillette Mach3 and standard Gillette foam for me.

The philips range are (in my experience) water proof. I have a rechargable three head Philishave, and (in the past) dropped my shaver in the bath, and while I was a bit worried, it didn't damage the shaver.

Vlad_Dracul
14-05-2007, 17:07
Hello Guys I am fed up of wet shaving the irritation and cuts so am thinking abouth buying an electric dry shaver This one http://www.johnlewis.com/Shopping/Product.aspx?Type=SKU&ID=230211921&source=12021

THanks

Dont bother..wet shaving is still the best. What you need to do is brush up on your technique. First things first,,dont buy cheap crappy razors. If you must buy disposables, buy good ones not BiC crap or anything like that. Next use a good quality Gel rather than foam and next study this simple guide and spend time perfecting your technique !

http://www.health24.com/Man/Great_man_guides/748-3270-2890,33986.asp

Lord Nikon
17-05-2007, 20:14
The philips range are (in my experience) water proof. I have a rechargable three head Philishave, and (in the past) dropped my shaver in the bath, and while I was a bit worried, it didn't damage the shaver.

Thank you for not elaborating what you were shaving at the time.

Stuart
17-05-2007, 20:27
Thank you for not elaborating what you were shaving at the time.

The only part I do shave...

My face.

SMHarman
17-05-2007, 22:00
I've never tried electric. I usually shave whilst in the shower. Water and electricity don't combine very well imo. Gillette Mach3 and standard Gillette foam for me.Similar, though the Body Shop shaving cream is what I use. Great stuff.

The Jackal
17-05-2007, 23:48
Wet shave preferably with some gillette gel. In the absence of the gel be prepared for right burn up so look around for *anything* you can build a lather up with. (soap, body wash just make a volatile concoction as you go along)

This morning's shave consisted of a new blade (I was lucky there) and some old Nivea Face wash for men rubbish that my missus had bought me years back. The overall burn was not as bad as I had expected it to be ! :D

Druchii
17-05-2007, 23:57
Recently i've taken to letting the stubble grow for 2 or 3 days between shaving, then nuking it, saves on blades i find. But as i'm hardly out now, that's fine with me as well.

The Jackal
18-05-2007, 11:06
Recently i've taken to letting the stubble grow for 2 or 3 days between shaving, then nuking it, saves on blades i find. But as i'm hardly out now, that's fine with me as well.

Pah young kids ! :rolleyes:

Yeh yeh yeh looks cool n all but you try doing that when you get to our age lol.

:D

Halcyon
18-05-2007, 11:35

I sometimes just leave it over the weekend if I know I am not going to be seeing anyone.
It gets really annoying though and I can't go past 2 days without needing to shave it off.

I use Gilette Blue II Slalom razors.
I find that without any tilting blades I can't get a good shave. Whoever invented the tilting blades is a genius.

Druchii
18-05-2007, 12:58
I sometimes just leave it over the weekend if I know I am not going to be seeing anyone.
It gets really annoying though and I can't go past 2 days without needing to shave it off.

I use Gilette Blue II Slalom razors.
I find that without any tilting blades I can't get a good shave. Whoever invented the tilting blades is a genius.
Whoever did it was indeed.

Bah, i ran out of Gillette Mach 3 gel this morning... Nivea for men nftw :(

Also, CrC, doesn't really look cool as it goes Ginger after about 4days, it's just easiest :p:

Vlad_Dracul
18-05-2007, 15:44

What do you mean your.."hardly out" ?

---------- Post added at 15:44 ---------- Previous post was at 15:38 ----------

Whoever did it was indeed.

Bah, i ran out of Gillette Mach 3 gel this morning... Nivea for men nftw :(

Also, CrC, doesn't really look cool as it goes Ginger after about 4days, it's just easiest :p:

Hmmm..on another point, I'd be interested in knowing how many other guys actually use other skin care products such as moisturisers? I dont want you all to go all metrosexual on me and espouse the use of a manbags and such other accesories BUT, for many years I have been in the habit of taking my morning ablutions, sticking in my disposable contacts,performing the ritual of the wet shave as previously described and finally applying Nivea moisturiser. It does seem to have worked becuase most if not all people think I'm about 7 or 8 years younger than i really am! This is apparently nothing to do with my infantile and foolish behaviour but more to do with the smooth and boyish appearance of my face. BTW the Nivea moisturiser is not branded for men or anything like that. Its bog standard,in a blue bottle-for skin i.e the same skin that wimmin have,so if they can use it, why not us? It does work.

I shall not me using lippy or mascara though- I was never into the new romantic movement and furthermore-my work colleagues would disown me.

Xaccers
18-05-2007, 15:52

Closet transvestite? :D

Hmmm..on another point, I'd be interested in knowing how many other guys actually use other skin care products such as moisturisers? I dont want you all to go all metrosexual on me and espouse the use of a manbags and such other accesories BUT, for many years I have been in the habit of taking my morning ablutions, sticking in my disposable contacts,performing the ritual of the wet shave as previously described and finally applying Nivea moisturiser. It does seem to have worked becuase most if not all people think I'm about 7 or 8 years younger than i really am! This is apparently nothing to do with my infantile and foolish behaviour but more to do with the smooth and boyish appearance of my face. BTW the Nivea moisturiser is not branded for men or anything like that. Its bog standard,in a blue bottle-for skin i.e the same skin that wimmin have,so if they can use it, why not us? It does work.

I shall not me using lippy or mascara though- I was never into the new romantic movement and furthermore-my work colleagues would disown me.

I don't even use soap.
No sense of smell so never got into aftershave or deoderants.
Just shower regularly, and use shampoo.
Rarely even use anything other than water when shaving.

Halcyon
18-05-2007, 16:09
I think there is no shame in using a moisturiser. I use one.
My face would become very irritated and dry if I didn't.

About once a week I also use a scrub paste that looks like it has sand in it but it is made with apricots. If you do it before you shave it will get rid of old cells and give your skin a fresh feeling.

MadGamer
18-05-2007, 17:42
I use this: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4426635/Trail/C%24cip%3D50116.Bathroom%2Band%2Bpersonal%2Bcare%3 EC%24Brand%3DPhilips.Philips%3EC%24cip%3D50145.Per sonal%2Bcare.htm , works very well, but i always cut myself. Can anyone recommend anything to apply afterwoods?

Druchii
18-05-2007, 18:13

---------- Post added at 15:44 ---------- Previous post was at 15:38 ----------

I man i don't really go anywhere other than downstairs, college is over, but i still have work to do.

tweetypie/8
20-05-2007, 20:44

THanks

the main requirement for a good shave is a good wobbling brush preferably badgers hair,i use this along with fairy soap yes fairy soap these items plus a good cut throat razor and your face will be like a babys bum. :tu:

Hugh
20-05-2007, 20:48
the main requirement for a good shave is a good wobbling brush preferably badgers hair,i use this along with fairy soap yes fairy soap these items plus a good cut throat razor and your face will be like a babys bum. :tu:

What - have a split down the middle, and be covered in poop? :Yikes:

Ramrod
20-05-2007, 20:49
I think there is no shame in using a moisturiser. I use one.
My face would become very irritated and dry if I didn't.Instead of which you look like a bulldog chewing a wasp? :p::D

About once a week I also use a scrub paste that looks like it has sand in it but it is made with apricots. If you do it before you shave it will get rid of old cells and give your skin a fresh feeling.I do too, it's a marvellous shave afterwards....:)

Wicked_and_Crazy
20-05-2007, 21:17
Can anyone recommend anything to apply afterwoods?

I'd recommend not shaving in the woods ;)

---------- Post added at 21:17 ---------- Previous post was at 21:15 ----------

I do too, it's a marvellous shave afterwards....:)

There are scrubs around now that are not so aggressive so you can use them everyday to get a better shave

Hugh
20-05-2007, 21:45
I'd recommend not shaving in the woods ;)
There are scrubs around now that are not so aggressive so you can use them everyday to get a better shave
King of Shaves do a good range - I use their facial scrub, aphagel shaving gel, and moisturer (unless I am going out - then it is Hugo Boss Energise moisturiser :D, to go with the after shave).

Gareth
20-05-2007, 22:04
I use one of these (http://www.consumer.philips.com/consumer/catalog/product.jsp?language=en&country=GB&catalogType=CONSUMER&productId=HQ9190_22_GB_CONSUMER) - admittedly it took about 2 or 3 weeks to become accustomed to using an electric shaver, but now that I'm used to it, I find it's great.

I also use L'Oréal Men Expert Pure & Matte Anti-Regreasing Gel (http://www.boots.com/shop/product_enlarge.jsp?productid=1059190&classificationid=1040282&slmRefer=000&imageid=1), which is the best thing I've ever used to stop getting a rash.

tweetypie/8
21-05-2007, 08:37
What - have a split down the middle, and be covered in poop? :Yikes:

nice one :tu: