PDA

View Full Version : The fault is with ME not Virgin

ianpstark
13-05-2007, 08:14
Well, according to Virgin anyway. And they seem to have proved it.

I called to complain about slow broadband (my area has been upgraded to 20Mbps). I was only getting between 5 and 7 on average, with the very occasional 9.

The Virgin engineer asked me to plug my pc directly into the cable modem (ie not through the router) and reboot in safe mode. Running Robin Walkers tests gave me a perfect 20Mbps.

Going back to normal mode (still direct to the cable modem) and the results dropped back below 10. Reconnecting to the router had no adverse effect.

So it does appear that the speed issue, for me at any rate, is to do with something at my end, and that Virgin are not at fault in my case.

How should I go about trying to establish exactly what it is that that's slowing me down by a good 10 to 15 Mbps? Anyone able to offer any advice?

Not sure exactly what specs would help but basically I have the following:
3.4GHz, 2Gb RAM, wired to Linksys BEFSR81 router which supports two other pc's and a wireless access point (tests were run with other pc's turned off). ntl:250 cable modem. I am running Spy Sweeper, Avast AV and Windows firewall. Turning them all off has no noticeable effect on broadband performance. Likewise, exiting Windows Messenger and Skype - no effect.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

Ian . . .

Paul K
13-05-2007, 08:20
Repair install might be the easiest root. Looks like something has been tweaked or has corrupted slightly.

Nedkelly
13-05-2007, 08:25
Hi have you tried the speed test on your other pcs just an idea :)

Creative
13-05-2007, 08:26
That routers got QOS abilities. The QOS settings may be limiting the throughput. Turn them off and see if that improves it. Otherwise it sounds like a negotiation issue. 7Mb/s is approx what you would get if you were using a 10Mb/s NIC. Check and see if the router is set to use 10Mb/s connections, if so set to auto negotiate (or force to 100Mb/s).

zing_deleted
13-05-2007, 08:31
I would create a new user first without copying anything over then reboot into the new user and test it. Sometimes fubared settings can be user specific and the new user could clean them away. If that works it will save time on repair installs etc. Also reset all web settings including engine and try that

Paul K
13-05-2007, 08:31
That routers got QOS abilities. The QOS settings may be limiting the throughput. Turn them off and see if that improves it. Otherwise it sounds like a negotiation issue. 7Mb/s is approx what you would get if you were using a 10Mb/s NIC. Check and see if the router is set to use 10Mb/s connections, if so set to auto negotiate (or force to 100Mb/s).
It's not the router

Going back to normal mode (still direct to the cable modem) and the results dropped back below 10. Reconnecting to the router had no adverse effect.

zing_deleted
13-05-2007, 08:33

take it you missed the bit where the OP says he tested it with just the modem without the router ;)

looks like 2 of rushed to point that out :tu: paul

JohnHorb
13-05-2007, 08:36
The point about 10MB is worth checking though. Is the NIC set to 10MB rather than 100 (or auto)?

zing_deleted
13-05-2007, 08:41
Now I do not know this but wouldnt the nic have the same settings in normal as in safe mode. Remember its fine in safe mode

Paul K
13-05-2007, 08:44
Think sometimes windows loads default drivers at a safe mode start up and then only loads a set group of services that it knows it needs to run properly. Don't think settings get altered (apart from res as that is defaulted to 640x480 by the drivers).
Edit:
More Here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315222)

Creative
13-05-2007, 08:47
take it you missed the bit where the OP says he tested it with just the modem without the router ;)

looks like 2 of rushed to point that out :tu: paul

I may have overlooked that minor and un-important fact. :o: :dunce:

ecksmen
13-05-2007, 09:04
Load up task manager and have a look at the network badnwidth graphs. See if you uploading / downloading when the machine is idling. Some background process which is not loaded in safe mode could be using up your upload which'll kill the download side.

ianpstark
13-05-2007, 09:30
Guys, this is all great stuff, thank you very much indeed for taking the trouble. Couple of questions/comments arising, if I may:

1. Yes, tried the test on other pc's on the network. Same sort of results.
2. QoS is disabled.
3. Creative: How can I check whether my router is set at 10 or 100 MB/s? The pc nic is set at 100 but I can't find any setting in the router (I know that the router has been taken out of the loop but I'm curious).
4. zinglebarb: "Also reset all web settings including engine". Sorry to be dumb - engine?

Thanks again for your help.

Ian . . .

zing_deleted
13-05-2007, 09:36
tools internet options advanced hit reset and click yes

You say your getting the same speed on other pcs on the network? and you get the same problem with just the modem connected you say? have you tried a multi threaded download app to see if there is a problem? or do you have proxys set?

ianpstark
13-05-2007, 10:05
OK, update:

I just went through the same process that I did with the engineer and interestingly, although I got exactly the same results in safe mode, when I tried connecting the modem directly in NORMAL mode I got 17Mbps-ish results. Adding the router back into the loop caused the results to drop back to <10.

I realise that this flies in the face of what I said in my first post but you'll have to trust me, those were the results!!

I am now wondering if the router is, in fact, the cause. I still can't find any setting that relates to speed or throughput. I'll check the Linksys site and see what I can find.

Zinglebarb: Yes, same speed. Direct connect issue is now in question! (sorry). Haven't tried a multi-threaded app cos I don't know what one is! Proxies not set.

Cheers!

Ian . . .

zing_deleted
13-05-2007, 10:07
So the weak link is your router least we know that now lol

ianpstark
13-05-2007, 10:29
Looks like it (hangs head in shame) :dunce:.

Although I maintain the results were as I said before, so maybe I'm not a complete dunce! Honest guv!

Creative
13-05-2007, 10:36
I may have overlooked that minor and un-important fact. :o: :dunce:

See I said it was unimportant! ;)

What speed does the NIC say its working at when connected to the router?

JohnHorb
13-05-2007, 10:57
From a quick Google, the WAN port on this router IS only 10MB.

m044bz00
13-05-2007, 11:02
I'd guess it could be to do with the patch cable from your router to your PC as I guess when you are trying directly you are removing the cable that goes from Modem ->> Router and making it go Modem >>> PC

The difference between the two is the Router to PC cable, could be wired wrong only allowing 10Mbps connection

Either try another cable or try the Router to PC cable direct between modem and PC - if it's the cable then you'll still only get below 10 instead of the 17 you've been getting

Creative
13-05-2007, 11:05
From a quick Google, the WAN port on this router IS only 10MB.
I did a search earlier but when it said etherfast I stopped. I assumed the WAN would be the same as the LAN.
Well there we go problem found.

ianpstark
13-05-2007, 11:14
So long and short, it's new router time, huh?

---------- Post added at 11:14 ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 ----------

And if so, any recommendations?

sollp
13-05-2007, 11:33
So if i might ask then, as i can see this being a common problem occuring now that speeds are getting faster and Routers, NIC cards are going to be issues where they aren't spec'd to go faster than 10Mb. What sort of basic checks can be carried out to determine this as i can see alot of customers getting problems over this and Service Tech's and Network Tech's running round like headless chickens over this when all along it's could well be customers PC ect.

Hugh
13-05-2007, 11:36
So if i might ask then, as i can see this being a common problem occuring now that speeds are getting faster and Routers, NIC cards are going to be issues where they aren't spec'd to go faster than 10Mb. What sort of basic checks can be carried out to determine this as i can see alot of customers getting problems over this and Service Tech's and Network Tech's running round like headless chickens over this when all along it's could well be customers PC ect.

I think you will find, for a number of posters, this will still be VM's fault - they should have checked every item of the customer's equipment before they sold them 20mb....... :dozey:

Paul K
13-05-2007, 12:03
Yep, they really should have sent an engineer to every customer to check what hardware was in the PC so that they could tailor each installation to the customer.......:erm:

ianpstark
13-05-2007, 12:12
Laziness, that's what I call it . . .

I'm happy to upgrade the router if that's the problem. Looking for a suggestion or two as to what brand/model I should go for. Seems to me that my existing router (BEFSR81) is fine in all regards except the 10Mb WAN aspect. I have a separate WAP and I'd like to keep it that way ideally.

Any recommendations?

Cheers,

Ian . . .

Creative
13-05-2007, 12:54
I like Netgear stuff. I don't like Belkin stuff.
My opinion.

Paul K
13-05-2007, 12:58
We have one of these routers (http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_firewall_router_wgr614.php) and works fine, others use Linksys routers and swear by them.

swoop101
13-05-2007, 13:07
check your connection at:

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

It points out stuff that helps

use connection speed 20000 in the info box

johnnygal
13-05-2007, 13:59
JohnHorb,

Are you sure the router's WAN port is only 10Mb? The linksys pdf says 10 but the newer models are in fact 10/100. I have a v3.1 model befsr81 and it is 10/100 on the WAN port. Although the symptons you describe suggest it is 10, if it is 10/100 your problem lies elsewhere. They're aren't any QoS settings in the router affecting it are there?

ianpstark
13-05-2007, 14:29
I have a v2 model. Any idea whether that's 10 or 10/100? Nothing on the unit to give me a clue.

Also, in answer to an earlier question, the pc is connected to the router with cat6 and the router is connected to the modem with cat 5.

---------- Post added at 14:14 ---------- Previous post was at 14:12 ----------

And is it me or is the Linksys website utter pants? At least half the time pages just aren't loading.

---------- Post added at 14:29 ---------- Previous post was at 14:14 ----------

Answer to my own question - just found the original paperwork: 10Base-T for the WAN connection on the v.2 unit.

My hopes, momentarily raised, are dashed again!

zing_deleted
13-05-2007, 14:43
Then why not for now connect the modem to the pc and set up a ad hoc networking using the switch in the router

sollp
13-05-2007, 15:41
I think you will find, for a number of posters, this will still be VM's fault - they should have checked every item of the customer's equipment before they sold them 20mb....... :dozey:

:erm:

No i don't think so really, the reason i ask is for the benefit of people on here and also for myself.

ianpstark
13-05-2007, 19:39
Good idea zinglebarb, but as you were typing I was off in my li'l ole automobile to the House of Routers where I picked up a unit that gives me the speeds I expected. All is now well, as it should be, until someone screws it up again.

Thanks to all for very constructive advice and again apologies for the curve ball at the beginning.

Ian . . .

ps, the comment was made that this could be an issue affecting lots of broadband customers who perceive (as I did) poor performance from Virgin whereas the problem lies at the consumer end. Is it worth posting a sticky suggesting people check aspects of their hardware for bottlenecks in NICs, routers etc before venting wrath elsewhere?

sollp
13-05-2007, 22:36
Good idea zinglebarb, but as you were typing I was off in my li'l ole automobile to the House of Routers where I picked up a unit that gives me the speeds I expected. All is now well, as it should be, until someone screws it up again.

Thanks to all for very constructive advice and again apologies for the curve ball at the beginning.

Ian . . .

ps, the comment was made that this could be an issue affecting lots of broadband customers who perceive (as I did) poor performance from Virgin whereas the problem lies at the consumer end. Is it worth posting a sticky suggesting people check aspects of their hardware for bottlenecks in NICs, routers etc before venting wrath elsewhere?

Yep.