PDA

View Full Version : Newsgroups being traffic SHAPED?

DieDieMyDarling
12-05-2007, 19:24
I realised last night when i started my downloads (Giganews) before going to bed, i was getting ridiculous speeds, between 2 and 3mb. It was about 12:45am and i hadn't really downloaded yesterday before that, so i thought maybe it was just network conjestion. Left it overnight and the files i wanted finished (forgot to check and see how long they took, etc).
Earlier on i fancied watching a film so tried to download a 700mb divx, again i was faced with horrible speeds, between 1mb and 2mb. I just thought it was bad conjestion or possibly maintenence in the area, for 20mb rollout. But while the file was downloading really slowly i was doing a few other things, and i needed to download an app, which was about 18mb, which flew down at full 9.4mb speeds.
So then i started looking at Giganews and seeing if they had a problem, everything seemed to be ok. I'd been planning to upgrade my Platinum account to Diamond this week, as the first 2 months are free (as long as you keep your account on that level for 60 days), so decided to do it there and then, while on the site.

I decided to then try the 700mb divx again (i'd paused it as it was gonna take too long and couldn't be bothered waiting to see it). Made the adjustments in my Newsbin Pro, to use SSL. Lo and behold, the divx is now downloading at 8.9mb. I made sure to try it again without SSL before changing the settings, and it had still been getting around 2.5mb average speed.

I haven't changed anything else, still 10 connections, same server, the only thing that has changed is the SSL port.

Anyone else having the same problem? Could there be a different explanation? Or is usenet being limited on the VM network? Is it usenet as a whole, or just Giganews? Or even just heavy downloaders?

zing_deleted
12-05-2007, 19:28
Thats all to do with ports though surely? I thought the shaping wasnt discriminating on what it was shaping. Could you try none ssl using port 23 instead of 119

Xtinguish
12-05-2007, 19:28
Look at Traffic Shaping All Tiers thread and yes, Newsgroups are affected by it.

Bill C
12-05-2007, 19:39
I realised last night when i started my downloads (Giganews) before going to bed, i was getting ridiculous speeds, between 2 and 3mb. It was about 12:45am and i hadn't really downloaded yesterday before that, so i thought maybe it was just network conjestion. Left it overnight and the files i wanted finished (forgot to check and see how long they took, etc).
Earlier on i fancied watching a film so tried to download a 700mb divx, again i was faced with horrible speeds, between 1mb and 2mb. I just thought it was bad conjestion or possibly maintenence in the area, for 20mb rollout. But while the file was downloading really slowly i was doing a few other things, and i needed to download an app, which was about 18mb, which flew down at full 9.4mb speeds.
So then i started looking at Giganews and seeing if they had a problem, everything seemed to be ok. I'd been planning to upgrade my Platinum account to Diamond this week, as the first 2 months are free (as long as you keep your account on that level for 60 days), so decided to do it there and then, while on the site.

I decided to then try the 700mb divx again (i'd paused it as it was gonna take too long and couldn't be bothered waiting to see it). Made the adjustments in my Newsbin Pro, to use SSL. Lo and behold, the divx is now downloading at 8.9mb. I made sure to try it again without SSL before changing the settings, and it had still been getting around 2.5mb average speed.

I haven't changed anything else, still 10 connections, same server, the only thing that has changed is the SSL port.

Anyone else having the same problem? Could there be a different explanation? Or is usenet being limited on the VM network? Is it usenet as a whole, or just Giganews? Or even just heavy downloaders?

The system in use STM will just reduce your speed by whatever its set to. Therefor it does not matter what type of traffic on what port it will get shaped :(.

DieDieMyDarling
12-05-2007, 19:40
No, sorry, maybe i didn't explain it correctly.
I don't mean as a part of the STM, i mean seperate to that. The STM only kicks in after 3gb on the 10mb tier, i hadn't downloaded 1gb, nevermind 3gb.

That's why i put SHAPING in the title, not Management.

Port 23 seems a bit better, but still not as good as 8.9mb. It might well be a Giganews problem, on the non SSL service.

Rik
12-05-2007, 19:44
No problems here.

10MB using port 119 I get full speed
using ssl i get full speed.

Im using the european server, which are you using?

jcuk
12-05-2007, 19:47
try downloading a game or linux file from ftp.virginmedia.com i find i get full speeds from there

Lee
12-05-2007, 19:54
How many connections are you using.. I'm noticing that sometimes I need to use the full 10 to max the 20meg nowadays..

jcuk
12-05-2007, 20:13
i can max my 20meg with 2 connections, 1 from ftp.virginmedia.com download linux (debian 4.0) at 1900kb/sec solid until traffic shapin kicks inwhich i have tested :( and also another wee download from a random website at 200kb/sec

---------- Post added at 19:13 ---------- Previous post was at 19:10 ----------

its rare that many sites will provide at full 1900kb/sec downstream anyway virginmedia and kent uk mirror is the only place.

also to let u in, our trials in kent are going verywell were currently testing HD over fiber cable @ 50megabits and the client users are VERY VERY happy with the service (Internal Communications)

Bill C
12-05-2007, 20:25
No, sorry, maybe i didn't explain it correctly.
I don't mean as a part of the STM, i mean seperate to that. The STM only kicks in after 3gb on the 10mb tier, i hadn't downloaded 1gb, nevermind 3gb.

That's why i put SHAPING in the title, not Management.

Port 23 seems a bit better, but still not as good as 8.9mb. It might well be a Giganews problem, on the non SSL service.

:blush:

will try it now from the EU server farm see what happens.

Ok tested

Here's the result.

As you can see there is no shaping going on at the moment with my connection :).

Xan
12-05-2007, 20:47
Will VM go down the road of traffic shapping all SSL encryption technology.

simosimo
12-05-2007, 20:55
Newsleecher gives me abominable speeds now, I'm lucky if i get over 250kbs

4 connections and 4mbs

Usually 450-500kbs......not anymore :\

Bill C
12-05-2007, 20:56
Will VM go down the road of traffic shapping all SSL encryption technology.

If you are subject to STM then your speed is cut by what ever they set the system to. Therefor if you are using SSL or any other type of encryption it will be slowed because your speed is cut at the UBR..

TraxData
12-05-2007, 21:04
Newsleecher gives me abominable speeds now, I'm lucky if i get over 250kbs

4 connections and 4mbs

Usually 450-500kbs......not anymore :\

i used to max out 10mbit with just 5 connections.

Not anymore...now i need...20 connections...just to reach 1mb/s.

Becoming abit of a ****take now.

stamp92
12-05-2007, 21:11
i have been experiencing unusually low speeds in everything from giganews to downloading large files off the web. in my history of using ntl for the past 7 years i have always got the speed i pay for.

i am on the 4mb package and normally get abt 470 KBps but have been struggling in the past few days since news of traffic shaping to get speeds over 300 KBps. in the last few days i have moved the position of my cable modem and wireless router from my front room into my bedroom. i thought at first that the thick walls in my flat might be to blame for my slow speed so i moved the cable modem back to the living room. i continued to get poor downloads speeds and thought that my poor job in rejoining the white incoming cable might be to blame. i have moved the cable modem back to the bedroom again and am still experiencing slow speeds. the wireless connection is connected at abt 11Mbps which should be more than sufficient to give me near 10Mbps speeds but i am not even getting a decent 4Mbps speed.

i dont know whether to blame my shoddy job on rejoining the ntl cable, thick walls preventing wireless signal getting through or ntl capping my connection because i have downloaded too much.

350mb a day between 4pm and midnight is just not enough. its quite frankly riddiculous. i usually download on average 1gb a day when i get home from work.

Xan
12-05-2007, 21:14
If you are subject to STM then your speed is cut by what ever they set the system to. Therefor if you are using SSL or any other type of encryption it will be slowed because your speed is cut at the UBR..

Is that right,if i download from giganews with no SSL i get a max 256k - if i put on my SSL i get 1.1meg?

http://www.giganews.com/blog/2006/11/ssl-can-increase-your-download-speeds.html

Bill C
12-05-2007, 21:21
Is that right,if i download from giganews with no SSL i get a max 256k - if i put on my SSL i get 1.1meg?

http://www.giganews.com/blog/2006/11/ssl-can-increase-your-download-speeds.html

So explain this then none ssl

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34302376-post10.html

I know what the STM does.
I know what Virgins other Traffic management kit does.

What i can say is that here in Warrington at this time i am not subject to any of it. But i have been over the last good few months. In fact i warned this forum in September last year that this was going to happen having seen this with other isp's but no one listened and some said i was talking bull****. Who is talking bull**** now ?

Xan
12-05-2007, 21:42
Is it before your 3gb traffic shapping come's in to affect.Explain mine no mater where i download from the web i get max of 256k where i use to get 1.1meg.I go on to giganews and get 256k then i change port to 23 and i get top speed the same as when i put SSL on.Are they just blocking some ports?

http://www.canada.com/topics/technology/columnists/story.html?id=9c83b629-a8b1-49fb-a1e8-6935e52837e6

Gypo
13-05-2007, 01:30
I used to get around 1.2mb/s without fail from Astraweb using 5 connections on newsleecher, now since the problems 2 weeks ago i get a max of 500k/s with an average of 300k/s.

RXP
13-05-2007, 06:55
NNTP is fine for me:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/05/49.jpg

ecksmen
13-05-2007, 07:26
also to let u in, our trials in kent are going verywell were currently testing HD over fiber cable @ 50megabits and the client users are VERY VERY happy with the service (Internal Communications)

Well, I guess Mr Smith would love to be able to get his emails that little bit quicker, cos let's face it if he decided to actually use that connection VM would cripple it the second the modem syncs up.

On a 50Mb connection, what do you get in bandwidth? 6Gb? Hardly seems worth it.

loki
13-05-2007, 08:31
Im not sure what is going on with VM Broadband at all. I am not a big file downloader by any stretch of the imagination but my connection speed is all over the show except for FTP whereby I can easily max out my connection speed on a UK server. Thundernews and any other service is erratic to say the least