PDA

View Full Version : Random Disconnections

h.cowell
12-05-2007, 13:47
Hi,

For a while now I've noticed my broadband connection suddenly dropping for no apparent reason. It can happen any time of the day and usually lasts for a minute or two before the connection comes back. I've tried rebooting the modem (this sometimes works, but I don't know if that's just coincidence), removing the linksys router (doesn't make any difference), disabling the firewall (makes no difference either), shutting down everything and starting up again etc etc. But I just can't tie it down to anything and would appreciate some advice. I'll ring CS if it continues but know I'll be taken through all the steps I've already tried. Plus, it's so random that I can't guarantee it'll be offline when I get through!

Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks.

Nikesh
12-05-2007, 15:16
Which modem do you have?

Nedkelly
12-05-2007, 15:32
Hi as nikesh has said which modem do you have ? and can you post the upstream and downstream levels as this will help unless you a tjet modem:)

terrynewpack
12-05-2007, 15:50
I am having the same problems in Bradford West Yorkshire. Never happened before but has happened a number of times in the past 6 weeks or so and it happened again this morning. Rebooted the modem and it worked again. Modem is a Scientific Atlanta Webstar.
Most disruptions have only been a couple of minutes but one was for almost half a day.

Need to know if its the modem or Virgin messing about with the system.

Thanks

h.cowell
12-05-2007, 19:52
Thanks for the responses :)

The modem is an NTL 250. For some reason I can't connect to the diagnostic page so can't tell my signal levels at the moment (I've tried rebooting). The modem is connected to a Pace STB.

terrynewpack, your problem sounds a lot like mine. I lost the conection for an hour yesterday, but most of the time it's just a minute or two.

on in an hour!
12-05-2007, 19:57
Thanks for the responses :)

The modem is an NTL 250. For some reason I can't connect to the diagnostic page so can't tell my signal levels at the moment (I've tried rebooting). The modem is connected to a Pace STB.

terrynewpack, your problem sounds a lot like mine. I lost the conection for an hour yesterday, but most of the time it's just a minute or two.
i cant weigh this 1 up,youre either on a ntl250 stand alone modem or your broadband is thro the stt,you cant have both :confused:

Nedkelly
12-05-2007, 21:11
If you have a 250 modem it is blue .If you have this modem and cant get in to 192.168.100.1 are you using a proxy if so disable it so you look at the diag screens :) As for the webstar modem sory not seen on of those must be ex telewest :)

h.cowell
12-05-2007, 21:41
Sorry for the confusion - the signal that comes into the house is split between the modem and STB. The modem and and PC are at different ends of the house though, but are connected directly.

Nedkelly, thanks for the tip, you were right about the proxy. So the readings I just got were:
Upstream = 47.0 dBmV
Downstream = -3.0dBmV

:)