PDA

View Full Version : Is it just download or upload aswell that is taken into account

blade85
11-05-2007, 19:02
Hello

sorry about starting yet another bandwidth management post, but i couldn't find the answer i was looking for...or maybe i just didn't try hard enough. soz

my question is quite simple.... does the whole traffic management system of reducing your speed if you cross a certain amount only take downloads into consideration or uploads aswell??

basically, will my connection speed be halved if i just download 750 megs, or if i download + upload 750 megs?????

kfridge
11-05-2007, 20:17
I belive it only applies to the amount you download.

Mick Fisher
11-05-2007, 21:03
With regard to a Data Transfer, upload and download are just descriptive terms relative to which end of the string you are on.

A Data Transfer always consists of both upload and download components.

Whilst I have no insider information as to how VM's systems work it is my opinion that both upload and download are considered to calculate the amount of Data Transferred over a connection.

I believe VM's terminology of 'download' in regard to this matter should really read 'Total Data Transfer'.

RXP
11-05-2007, 21:15
It's only download, the Virgin tech guy said so in the newsgroups

popper
12-05-2007, 00:37
It's only download, the Virgin tech guy said so in the newsgroups

but as i already said elswere, as with everything in VM statements, it needs testing by someone on a confirmed throttled connection.

a simple test is to use your VM supplyed web space and as you near the total for your package start uploading something big to the webspace and see if it trips the throttling management.

iv not as yet seen anyone report any tests , perhaps someone here can try it report back.

nofrills
12-05-2007, 08:39
It's the craziest decision ever! People I know have already set their bittorrent clients to purely upload during 4-12. Doesn't uploading degrade the network more?

Zanny
12-05-2007, 10:20
It's the craziest decision ever! People I know have already set their bittorrent clients to purely upload during 4-12. Doesn't uploading degrade the network more?

Just a uneducated guess but i doubt it, just cause we have a ratio of 20:1 for our uploads doesnt mean the network is 20 times slower in the other direction. My uneducated guess would also be that those green boxes outside in our streets are capable of the same speeds in both directions.

magpac
12-05-2007, 10:24
I'm on a 4M link, and have been finding my upload (just seeding, no downloading) drops from a constant 45k/s to a constant ~7k/s around 4pm.

So at least off the Baguley center they are throttling upload as well.

Uncle Peter
12-05-2007, 12:56
Just a uneducated guess but i doubt it, just cause we have a ratio of 20:1 for our uploads doesnt mean the network is 20 times slower in the other direction. My uneducated guess would also be that those green boxes outside in our streets are capable of the same speeds in both directions.

Unfortunately your guess is incorrect. The upstream channel is narrower than the downstream in a DOCSIS cable network.