PDA

View Full Version : Bandwidth monitoring tools.

crowlord
11-05-2007, 15:48
I am running DUmeter to monitor my bandwidth usage. Thats great, but it doesn't really do what I want regarding the Shaping.

Is anyone aware of a tool which can start monitoring usage at the cutoff time (4pm) and warn you if you reach a user set level. I don't care what I download a day its only the three gig between 4pm and midnight i care about but no tools I can find seem to do monitoring over a time period like this. I would love to know if I am heading towards my limit then I can throttle back to avoid the cap.

Maybe there is a niche for a techy minded peep to build a VM specific tool to do just this... (I just want a cut of the royalties and I insist you call it "Crowlords Virgin Media Traffic Shaping Monitor Tool In Association With Cable Forum or CVMTSMTIAWCF for short)

TheNorm
11-05-2007, 15:56
...I insist you call it "Crowlords Virgin Media Traffic Shaping Monitor Tool In Association With Cable Forum or CVMTSMTIAWCF for short)

Or even:

CroViMe TraSh MoTo In Ass WiCaFo

Sort of rolls off the tongue, don't you think?

Hugh
11-05-2007, 16:30
Or even:

CroViMe TraSh MoTo In Ass WiCaFo

Sort of rolls off the tongue, don't you think?

Am I the only one uncomfortable with the juxtaposition of the phrases "rolls off the tongue" and "In Ass"????? :Yikes:

Toto
11-05-2007, 16:52
Am I the only one uncomfortable with the juxtaposition of the phrases "rolls off the tongue" and "In Ass"????? :Yikes:

ROFLMAO. :rofl:

I love that word, juxtapostion.

danielf
11-05-2007, 16:59

Well, let's faece it. The other way round would be much worse :disturbd:

SpyJoe
11-05-2007, 17:25
I am running DUmeter to monitor my bandwidth usage. Thats great, but it doesn't really do what I want regarding the Shaping.

Is anyone aware of a tool which can start monitoring usage at the cutoff time (4pm) and warn you if you reach a user set level. I don't care what I download a day its only the three gig between 4pm and midnight i care about but no tools I can find seem to do monitoring over a time period like this. I would love to know if I am heading towards my limit then I can throttle back to avoid the cap.

Maybe there is a niche for a techy minded peep to build a VM specific tool to do just this... (I just want a cut of the royalties and I insist you call it "Crowlords Virgin Media Traffic Shaping Monitor Tool In Association With Cable Forum or CVMTSMTIAWCF for short)

Schedule the app to start at 4pm. This way it will only be monitoring from 4pm and DU Meter can warn u when u nearly reach the amount u want every day...

Windows Schedule app doesnt work for me, so I use System Scheduler Pro Works great. More info about it here:

http://www.splinterware.com/products/wincron.htm

crowlord
11-05-2007, 17:38
Great solution. What i will try is a small volume only proggy on a schedule and DUmeter to keep my logs for normal use. (i like to shake my head and say things like "how on earth have I dl'd all that!")

nffc
11-05-2007, 18:03
VM really need a tool like this on the web. It's nigh on useless over a LAN, because it doesn't account for cross LAN traffic, or display results on another PC.

Steve-o||[^]
13-05-2007, 21:54

haven`t found an automatic way to do this (yet!) but create a 'new stopwatch' from 4pm onwards. and it`ll tell you yours usage and average speeds.

lezwez
13-05-2007, 22:27
I think online eye pro will do the job im not 100 percent sure as i can't work out how to use it