PDA

View Full Version : so frustrated please help newbie!!!

martinansell2004
10-05-2007, 21:52
Hey all, first things first Just how bad are Virgin??

After a nightmare process of installation, being lied to by sales, having apes come and drill my house to pieces and then not even have any broadband!! I am finally at the end of my tether.

Basically, My broadband has been plugged happily into the xbox 360 for the last few weeks so i decided to buy a laptop to use it with also. Now the laptop works but the 360 doesn't. Ive turned the router off and back on, plugged it into the 360 et volia!! Action, but now the damn laptop doesn't. So I reapeated the process and voila (again) the laptop works but guess what now?? Exactly, ive got not 360 live.

Has anybody had a similar problem?? if get a hub will it solve it?? Shall I just kill myself??

seriously, this is peeing me right off.

yours

Martin "wishing i had never bothered" Ansell

Sirpingalot
10-05-2007, 21:55
If it's not a cable specific router, then you can't connect more than one device to it. I had exactly the same problem at one point.

Mick Fisher
10-05-2007, 22:01
Hey all, first things first Just how bad are Virgin??

After a nightmare process of installation, being lied to by sales, having apes come and drill my house to pieces and then not even have any broadband!! I am finally at the end of my tether.

Basically, My broadband has been plugged happily into the xbox 360 for the last few weeks so i decided to buy a laptop to use it with also. Now the laptop works but the 360 doesn't. Ive turned the router off and back on, plugged it into the 360 et volia!! Action, but now the damn laptop doesn't. So I reapeated the process and voila (again) the laptop works but guess what now?? Exactly, ive got not 360 live.

Has anybody had a similar problem?? if get a hub will it solve it?? Shall I just kill myself??

seriously, this is peeing me right off.

yours

Martin "wishing i had never bothered" Ansell

You need to obtain a router.

DeanSupreme uk
10-05-2007, 22:15
You need to obtain a router.

Yep you need a router m8y..I get the same problem with my pc and Xbox360..can't have them both connected at the same time.

Sirpingalot
10-05-2007, 22:17
He states he has a router. Unless he's referring to his modem, then you're wrong.

Cobbydaler
10-05-2007, 22:17
The OP says he has a router, but he needs a cable/DSL router not ADSL...

What router do you have?

Sirpingalot
10-05-2007, 22:21
The OP says he has a router, but he needs a cable/DSL router not ADSL...

What router do you have?

Yeah, you need a Cable router. Or when you say "router", are you referring to the modem? If you are talking about the modem, it syncs with only one IP address meaning that you have to reboot it to allow another device with a different IP access to the internet.

jamiefrost
10-05-2007, 22:22
If you mean the cable modem then what is happening is correct. I think the cable modem stores 4 MAC addresses but only one can be active at once.

You have to cycle the power on the modem to change MAC codes.

To solve this you will need a DSL cable router a simple hub / switch won't work as you need to give the xbox and laptop seperate IP addresses.

HTH

JJ

DeanSupreme uk
10-05-2007, 22:27
The way i do this is i just changed my Xbox MAC address to the same as my pc MAC address..Just stopped me having to reboot the modem all the time.

martin42h
10-05-2007, 22:44
Ok, this seems a bit confused as to whether you have a router already or not.
Question - have you only got the bit of kit supplied by VM. If so, it's a cable modem, not a router, and will only support 1 device connected at a time (laptop or XBOX). That's not VM's fault. That's the service they undertake to provide. To connect more than 1 device at a time, you need a router which you plug into the cable modem instead of the laptop or XBOX, and then plug the laptop & XBOX into the router (most have 4 available connections plus (sometimes) wireless). I would suggest a Linksys (see numerous other threads).
If you do have a router already then your problem is harder to understand. Normally they work straight out of the box.
Lets clear up whether you have one already or not first.

zing_deleted
10-05-2007, 22:50
sounds like he is either using a switch or just the lan ports os a dsl router as has been mentioned

Sirpingalot
10-05-2007, 22:51
Ok, this seems a bit confused as to whether you have a router already or not.
Question - have you only got the bit of kit supplied by VM. If so, it's a cable modem, not a router, and will only support 1 device connected at a time (laptop or XBOX). That's not VM's fault. That's the service they undertake to provide. To connect more than 1 device at a time, you need a router which you plug into the cable modem instead of the laptop or XBOX, and then plug the laptop & XBOX into the router (most have 4 available connections plus (sometimes) wireless). I would suggest a Linksys (see numerous other threads).
If you do have a router already then your problem is harder to understand. Normally they work straight out of the box.
Lets clear up whether you have one already or not first.

I would suggest a Netgear :D

martin42h
11-05-2007, 07:19
Used to have a Netgear, needed reboot often. Bought a Linksys WRT54GS instead 2 months ago, never rebooted yet.