PDA

View Full Version : Horrifically unstable connection (New connection)

Stop It
10-05-2007, 21:10
Hello all,

I have had Virgin Media recently installed (Last saturday), since then, I have had a few troubles with the broadband, on a number of occasions the modem (VM 255) has lost sync, and sat there with either the sync or ready light flashing, a reboot usually helps, but once or twice it has gave me a 192.168.* ip, and the upstream reported that it couldn't lock.

Any details required just ask, and thanks for the help in advance,

Thanks

Lee :-)

Nedkelly
10-05-2007, 21:15
Hi can you give us the upstream and downstream values and the snr .:)

Stop It
10-05-2007, 22:14
Of course, current values:

Upstream transmit Power Level : 47.0 dBmV (But during the periods where it couldnt lock, was >60dBmV)

Downstream Receive Power Level : 5.7 dBmV

Downstream SNR : 38.0 dB

Thanks for the swift response.

---------- Post added at 22:14 ---------- Previous post was at 21:32 ----------

Bit more background info, In case you need it,

The drop-outs have occurred in no real pattern, a few times while playing CS:Source, a few times while just regular browsing, and a few when I wasn't even using the connection apart from idling on IRC (Which notes the outages).

Thanks all,

Lee

blue166
10-05-2007, 22:31
If its running on a splitter with the tv, try unplugging the tv from the splitter and leave the broardband on for a few hours and will more than lightly be ok, if so you need your signals looking at by an engineer, well im sure there will be better qualified ppl on here that can guide you just giving you my 2cents.

Sirpingalot
10-05-2007, 22:35
Downstream SNR is nice and strong. However, the Upstream transmit power level is too high at 60dBmV - 47dBmV is acceptable. Somebody else will be able to go into further detail.

Stop It
10-05-2007, 22:37
If its running on a splitter with the tv, try unplugging the tv from the splitter and leave the broardband on for a few hours and will more than lightly be ok, if so you need your signals looking at by an engineer, well im sure there will be better qualified ppl on here that can guide you just giving you my 2cents.

Hmm, but then that would slightly defeat the object of having both, but, I will give it a shot, thanks for the advice.

Nedkelly
10-05-2007, 22:41
The upstream is going up and down .You have VM tv which box do you have if it is a samung does the light above the ch numbers flash when your broadband goes off.:)

Stop It
10-05-2007, 22:54
I'm not sure, I haven't really checked, and sods law now dictates that the connection wont drop now, but I will keep an eye on it, thanks for the help so far, just a quick question, when the modem dies, the TV stays on, i'm guessing the TV feed is separate from the internet one, and thus wouldn't drop alongside the internet connection?

---------- Post added at 22:54 ---------- Previous post was at 22:51 ----------

Ok, that was strange, it desynced for literally 1 second, and then I get...

Upstream transmit Power Level : 61.0 dBmV

Thats danger zone levels is it not, going from my previous experience on this forum, was so quick didn't see if my Sammy flashed.

Edit: Down to 59.3 within a minute, it really is fluctuating, and contrasting with my STB, which seems to be locked at 47dBmV, does it make a difference that the STB has a 4db Forward path equalizer, and a digital signal filter, and the modem has neither?

Nedkelly
10-05-2007, 22:56
The tv pics will stay on its the reverse that is dropping out it can be a number of things .You will need a tech out to have a look :)

Stop It
10-05-2007, 23:10
Just as I went to post, had a massive drop, followed quite quickly by a second drop, first time both the Sync and ready lights went out for 30 seconds, then the Sync light started flashing, wouldn't correct until I power cycled the modem, the second time the ready light unlit and the sync light flashed like mad, then it lit and the ready light flashed slowly, another power cycle and it came back, eventually.

During that time my TV return path was still active, but my Downstream SNR according to my STB divebombed to 25db, upstream steady at 47dbmv, no flashing though.

Now my modem has a Downstream SNR of 38 off a power of -1.6 dBmV
and an upsteam power of 53.3 dBmV, tech required?

I don't want this, :( I had such a good feeling after the fantastic install process I had, I only hope I can get this sorted in a professional fashion, thanks for your help so far all, I'll have to get hold of support tommorow to explain my problems.