PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone translate please?

Maverick Rhino
10-05-2007, 21:36
I'm a longstanding NTL customer in Leeds.

Last Friday an engineer took away my Samsung box which also fed broadband and fitted a lovely new V+ box and new SACM. Despite his lack of personality everything seemed OK, the V+ box is excellent! I got broadband up and running through the new SACM after a couple of calls to technical support to set up manually as the CD could not handle the transition from Samsung to modem.

Then, Tuesday evening loss of Broadband. Both the ready light on the SACM and the online light on the V+ started flashing. Call to "India", she ran some tests and broadband restored.

Tonight, same problem, loss of connection and flashing light on SACM and V+.

This time "India" couldn't fix it, engineer booked for Monday. She said something about dropping signal when signal strength dropped? Couldn't elaborate further, can anyone else explain what she means, what the issue might be?

The connection restored itself after about 90 minutes.

(I also had to restrain from blasting her for reading out a script telling me I would be "fined" £10 if I wasn't in when the engineer called. The fact that I pay £72 a month to Virgin for a currently faulty service seemed lost on her! :mad:)

Andrex
10-05-2007, 21:41
It sounds like there isn't enough signal going to your property to power all the cable equipment you've got. To me, anyway. An engineer should be able to boost the signal a bit, but failing that it will probably need a repull (which they do later in the week, which involves pulling the cable back to your property from the cab down the street). It can be a sign you live quite far from the cabinet.

Nedkelly
10-05-2007, 21:55
Looks like a level problem it could be the reverse failing if the online light is flashing as well as the light on the modem :)

piggy
10-05-2007, 22:32
if its a level problem a quick test would be to find the splitter that feeds the v box and cable modem take the splitter out and feed the v box direct if the online light stays solid then you know its a quick adjustment outside when the tech arrives