PDA

View Full Version : Traffic Measurement

m044bz00
10-05-2007, 08:27
Sorry to start another thread which is vaguely related to traffic shaping but...

We all know there are various apps to measure downloads but is there anything with the ability to measure traffic on a home network (3 pc's, a laptop and an xbox?)

However, you'd need to install the same app on all the above and then totalise all up, but it would then include all the traffic between each.

The obvious point of measurement would be the modem and traffic in/out, can this be done via snmp or are there any routers out there that you can take traffic measurements from the inputof the modem?

It still amazes me that this problem has been around for years with talk of capping etc with numerous providers but I aren't aware of a single isp that provides a solution to this which enables a consumer to accurately monitor their own usage - does such an ISP exist?

RXP
10-05-2007, 08:34
Tell me about it, I don't get why routers firmware doesn't have it built in. Even more amazed stuff like DD-WRT doesn't have the option.

The only way is to setup an actual PC as a router and install traffic monitoring software on it. Or use a linux distro that's built to be a router.

Druchii
10-05-2007, 08:40
DD-WRT standard does have it built in, their website evn has a custom application designed for talking wiht the router etc.

Shame our modems can't do SNMP really :(

RXP
10-05-2007, 10:21
Awesome, got any links for more info about the WRT app?

Edit: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2563

That page was very useful, got it setup and running now. Anyone know of any good SNMP logging software for Windows? Can only find linux.