PDA

View Full Version : Modem too slow?

zid
10-05-2007, 00:32
I have a silver modem with I think ntl: 200 on a sticky label underneath but I can't pull more than 12-13mbit, is there a procedure I can go through to get a new one sent out? (I have one of those nice blue ones somewhere if that can speed the process up)

JackSon
10-05-2007, 00:37
In a week or so VM are supposed to beo cobbling together a web page dedicated to sussing out your modem and seeing if you need it replacing (mainly for the 20Mb upgrades). Keep an eye out for that as it may (or may not) also give details on how to request modem swap out. Failing that, you can ring 151 (Assuming an NTL phone line) and go through the motions there.

Halcyon
10-05-2007, 00:38
:welcome: to the forums.

What package are you currently on ?

If it is a silver modem it could well be the ntl home 100, 120, or 200.

These can have problems with some speeds.
A phone call to VirginMedia would be your best bet and if need be they can get a new modem posted to you.

zid
10-05-2007, 00:43
New to the new forums, was a member of the NTL ones :)

I assume the fact I get anything above 10mbit means I'm on 20mbit, and the sticker on the underside said ntl:200 so I can only assume that it is. (I said that in my first post but you did ask so here it is)

I tried to push it to 20mbit via direct VM hosted stuff such as their usenet server and their mirror service (it was labelled virgin media anyhow), 12mbit seems to be the cap from wherever, leading me to think it's a modem problem. I think i've seen a few others mention it in passing too.

JackSon
10-05-2007, 00:46
If you suspect the modem and you have half an hour to kill I suggest you just give the customer services a call. They may not be over willing to send someone out to inspect the modem (after doing a ping test on it themselves first) but they might be happier to accept a request to send one off to you if you feel confident enough for a self install. You got 50% chance of them doing that and if that happens, you similarly have 50 % chance of the old modem being faulty ;) but least you'll have a new one.

zid
10-05-2007, 00:51
I'm pretty confident the modem is fine but can't break 12mbit by design. (Lack of foresight on the 20mbit front + cost)